Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #11476
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Thanks RF, that makes sense.

I've got the Ross (std bore!) 11:1 piston at home, from XRsOnly, waiting for time to mount. I had it (optional) ceramic-coated, which turns out to be a surprisingly thin layer of stuff on the crown, almost transparent.
The skirt (under ring fields) is also coated, with (I presume, dunno for sure) Teflon or similar, slippery stuff. I didn't expect this to be so but don't complain, I have to assume this is part of the 'ceramic coating' option (ask them?).

I bought it from them when they had only 1 'ad' listed, where it was specifically mentioned that one did not know what brand one would get. Turned out to be a Ross which, visually, is a work of art, I just know you will like it. I recently bought a Wiseco piston (for a CRF230F, also h/c), but this Ross-one looks a lot better finished (if that is a fair comparison at all).

I see there's 2 different 'ads' on XRs' site now - which are confusing to say the least, they mix brands it would seem!
Anyway, they list the weights of the various pistons:
  • AL BAKER'S XR'S ONLY / ROSS PISTON - 334 grams
  • HONDA OEM PISTONS - 348 grams
  • JE PISTONS - 404 grams
  • WISECO PISTONS - 404 grams
If you're going to buy one I'd phone them to make sure you'll get what you want.

These weights do not correspond with what was posted here - where the std piston is reported to be substantially heavier than the Ross. Might be due to the pin, dunno.
Tonight I'll weight the parts and will post the respective weights.
Mind, don't have the OEM to weigh, only the (coated) Ross, may just help someone.
Things that make me wonder why my stock bare piston with carbon weighs in at a hefty 414 grams
I am gona say that there might be two factory pistons of different weight or the XRs only site is wrong?
but what ever-lighter is better til it breaks then it isn't

here are the individual weights I have
Stock piston 414 grams
stock ring 24 g
stock pin 114 g

other notes stock pin is tapered but heaver than ross straight wall pin by 3 grams or so
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #11477
lemanster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent2 View Post
Fire up the bike, see if the high idle is happening. If so, pull the gas tank, and disconnect the throttle cables. Fire up the bike and blip the throttle with your hand, if the high idle is gone, problem is most likely the cables, either kinked or adjusted too tight. Once I tightened up the cables using the adjuster on the return cable, resulting in instant hanging idle.
If the high idle still happens, perhaps a vacuum leak, A/P pump hydrolocking (doubtful since you said you replaced it), weak return spring, or ???
Where in California are you? I am in San Fernando Valley, would have no problem checking it out sometime, if you are local.
I'll try this today.

I am relatively local to SFV. In LA I'll send you a PM if I cant get this figured out. I'm leaning (quite far) toward pitching this carb, and going with an FCR. Thanks for the offer!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #11478
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Yes I did a chain at the same time, But what I feel as for less vibration, is in my opinion a result of weight reduction of reciprocating weight.
The removed chain was in really good shape. I suspect it was only at most 2 deg. retarded of a new chain chain?
I agree, the less mass it's moving the better and easily the more significant factor when it comes to vibration and smoothness. I asked about the cc because in my expierence, the chain stretch make the motor start to feel a bit more lazy. I'm feeling it a little in my XR and plan to tear into it. The compression bump, a fresh cc chain and sorting out the valves is the same work I'm planning on doing in Jan.

Here's a video od a DS ride we just did, no rippin Just some easy stuff.

http://youtu.be/sC1nTy1oqug?hd=1
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #11479
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
OK, just finished weighing the Ross piston. Brandnew & clean, an 11:1 version, with ceramic coated top & Teflon coated skirt.
This is what I get:
- Piston 335 g
- Pin 109 g
- Ringset 37 g
- 2 Circlips 2 g
- weight of total (not plain added) 484 gram

Looks like:
Attached Images

BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #11480
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
[QUOTE=backdoc;17358460]SO...I was finally able to take the pig riding after finishing the CRF-XRR USD conversion. I must admit that I like the look of the bike now a whole lot better as i'm partial to the gold anodized look. It mathces my gold anodized Unabiker radiator guards . AS for the handling on and off road..IMHO I think it handles much better than stock on the road and even better on the dirt. For all of the imates that helped with advise during the conversion a big THANK YOU is in order . I originally swapped the Clarke tank out for a Sahara tank, but the damn thing weighed so much and was uncomfortable on my thighs, so I went back to the Clarke tank and it rides 100% better.

Yea Baby that a great update.
I know there used to be some debate on USDs on the aluminum frame But the difference in control in cross ruts and going across ruts at angles is superior, way more lines to chose from in the rough stuff
On the road its more stable as well.
Make sure you have the right springs for your weight before you get to far from home.

Here is what I did on stabilizer.
Its a billet CR500 upper triple for fatty bars. I used a spacer tube on stem and a few miniutes on a mill to clear frame. and am able to use the stock scott setup for the XR
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #11481
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

FG, bike's looking good!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #11482
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,480
gonna give this photo posting a try....

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #11483
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...w/o9a-33UqMEE/

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6...4/SxD-vIQ-VPo/

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-h...M/77DUQhxkM-E/

I couldn't see them too well, so I linked bigger versions. Nice bike!

All this piston, cam chain, valve talk is interesting! You guys are helping me decide on parts, and scaring me into checking my valves and cam chain.

Motomochilla- post a pic of your hybrid please!
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #11484
seabee1
we build, we fight

try again. thanks for the assist, istzephyr! ^^^

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #11485
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Don's new CRF 450 X

Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #11486
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Nice CRF
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #11487
seabee1
we build, we fight

thanks. sorry for the hijack of the xrr thread, i'm just kinda excited!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #11488
skibootdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
stock to lite

took my oem piston to local machine shop, they removed from the sides and under the top. the result is a piston that comes in at 296g
Attached Images

skibootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #11489
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 383
Wiring Help - Front Brake / Brake Light

Howdy
My new to me XR has the Baja Designs DS `kit and is street legal in Ca. The PO has installed the front brake switch but did not wire it in. I have the wire diagram for the kit but it does not show a front brk Lt. What is the best way to hook this up? Thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #11490
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
Howdy
My new to me XR has the Baja Designs DS `kit and is street legal in Ca. The PO has installed the front brake switch but did not wire it in. I have the wire diagram for the kit but it does not show a front brk Lt. What is the best way to hook this up? Thanks
I can't see mine without taking parts off at the moment, but I believe I just spliced it in parallel with the rear brake switch wires, meaning connect it to the rear brake switch wires, and it should work, though someone correct me if I'm having a brain fart.