Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #12016
AtomicXRer
Wild Feral BRP

Oddometer: 3,830
Thanks everybody. Good and valid opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrtrippin View Post
My theory on chain lube for off road bikes is not to use it on a O-ring chain, Most of it just collects dirt and increases the wear to the sprockets which in turn increases the wear on the chain. I run Ironman sprockets with a Regina chain. Working on running them on year three now, close to 3000mi and then chain has not stretched and the sprocket is still well within serviceable limits. The few here that run with me know I am not easy on the throttle, will attempt just about anything legal and do about a 70/30 split off road/ on road.

I can see using a light oil for rust preventative measures but as far as trying to always keep the chain exterior lubed, It just seems to make more of a mess than its worth. So heres to dry O-ring quality chains and sprokets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I put 14,000 miles on my 610 with Ironman sprockets and the Regina Z-ring...dry, never put anything on the chain. The chain never lumped up and there was just a hint of hooking on the rear sprocket when I sold that bike.

The XRR puts down more power and the dry moly seems to make the sliders last longer. I put 10,000 miles on the Ironman sprockets and Regina Z-ring on my last XRR, started the dry moly after it ate thru the slider and just about got the swingarm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate View Post
I too use the Maxxima chain wax. I ride about 6-8k a year on everything from Baja to the OBCDT. I got about 10k on the chain that came on the bike. Currently have about 5k on a Ragina and have only needed to adjust it once.
I also use it on my big orange nasty which also does Baja among other things. I usually get about 20k on the 950 chain. And blieve me, I don't think about my chain much. The 950 has gone over 1000 miles two-up in Baja mostly off road at speed. And on road at over 80-100mph for over 150 miles without issue. I will continue the same chain maintenance schedule as it seems to work just fine.

Nate

PS- this is just my opinion and YMMV

AtomicXRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #12017
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Opposite experience here, we ride allot of sand, an o-ring is a must on the XRR if we want any kind of chain life in that situation. We're lucky to get a couple seasons out of regular chains. I'm at 6K on an RK EXW, about 95% dirt, very little stretch, I adjust it about every 2 rides. My chain maint consists of soaking it pretty well with a silicone based lubricant and removing all the dirt with a brush when I clean the bike. It's about ready for a new one though.
Same here, I soak it good with a silicone lubricant, apply the chain wax and never have any of the issues...I think more depends on your riding and where.
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #12018
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265 View Post
Same here, I soak it good with a silicone lubricant, apply the chain wax and never have any of the issues...I think more depends on your riding and where.
Will the wax stick to it with the silicone??

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.877077,-72.751013
Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #12019
Ruprect
Got me a Big Red Pig

Oddometer: 82
cheaper still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
Is a TrailTech Vapor or something similar out of the question? They are cheap at around $100. You can set them for MPH or KPH
oh, i'm sure it would work great. i'm looking for the cheapest possible way to get street-legal though. If I could I'd leave the speedo off alltogether (and the horn, mirror, signals too) but i can't and since the cable and everything is already there i figured i may as well just throw a cheap mechanical speedo/odo on it. the bd unit would be perfect but i need kph to register it

We're gonna need a bigger boat . . . . . . .
Ruprect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #12020
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
I don't ride as hard or fast as you. Nonetheless, I have used the Primary Drive o-ring chains for the last 5-years w/o having any problems as you describe. Maybe your rear tire was put in a some small tilted angle for that particular ride?
I broke two of the primary drive chains after very little riding. Probably a total of about a month or so each. I have had a regina with ironman sprockets on for a long time and it seems to be holding up much better.

I wouldn't put a primary drive on my bike anymore. They just don't seem strong enough for a single without a cush drive on street tires.

The sprockets are fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruprect View Post
oh, i'm sure it would work great. i'm looking for the cheapest possible way to get street-legal though. If I could I'd leave the speedo off alltogether (and the horn, mirror, signals too) but i can't and since the cable and everything is already there i figured i may as well just throw a cheap mechanical speedo/odo on it. the bd unit would be perfect but i need kph to register it
Could you get a bd unit and reprint a gauge face in kph? If you can open the gauge that should be easy enough.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #12021
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
I don't ride as hard or fast as you. Nonetheless, I have used the Primary Drive o-ring chains for the last 5-years w/o having any problems as you describe. Maybe your rear tire was put in a some small tilted angle for that particular ride?
You ride it hard enough!

And in the middle of nowhere.

Just sayin!
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #12022
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Chris, where in NM are those trails/roads? Way cool.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #12023
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.G. View Post
Chris, where in NM are those trails/roads? Way cool.
It's the Burr Trail headed to the Maze district of Canyonlands, pretty epic stuff.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #12024
Jaronimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
front rotor upgrade

Hi ya fellas,
Im looking into the 280mm front brake rotor kit for the xr605r, does anyone currently have one, did you really notice the added braking power off road?

I am having real trouble tracking down a complete kit with the caliper extender, does anyone know where to find them?
any help would be much appreciated

Jaronimo screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 09:49 PM Reason: typo
Jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #12025
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
It's the Burr Trail headed to the Maze district of Canyonlands, pretty epic stuff.
Oh man, that looks like my kind of fun....

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #12026
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronimo View Post
Hi ya fellas,
Im looking into the 280mm front brake rotor kit for the xr605r, does anyone currently have one, did you really notice the added braking power off road?

I am having real trouble tracking down a complete kit the the caliper extender, does anyone know where to find them?
any help would be much appreciated
i have it ...but i still have the stock line .... it is a small improvement over the stock rotor .....ebc there on ebay with the adaptor
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #12027
Jaronimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
sean-o

Ive got a galfer braided brake line and that was a fast improvement Im looking for awesome stopping power, like hauling up real fast from 150klm an hour?
did you have a link or a seller?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #12028
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
sean-o

Ive got a galfer braided brake line and that was a fast improvement Im looking for awesome stopping power, like hauling up real fast from 150klm an hour?
The braided hose caused a bigger improvement than the larger diameter rotor IMHO
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #12029
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post

He'll sell his XRR soon...a KLR is the bike he should have...
Ohhhh snap, you got me there man Hey maybe we can save some gas money and carpool to the kawasaki/hoveround dealership for both of our next bikes, by the looks of what you can handle, since you like dishing out the wise-assery

BTW, besides riding for over thirty years now and in the last fifteen I haven't owned anything but 600+ Honda plated dual sports, looks like you are about on the mark as you usually are.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #12030
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 3,956
Quote:
sean-o

may not be the cheapest im not sure look around for this kit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EBC-Super...item256b68c48f

i will be doing my lines soon front and rear
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote