Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #13006
GSA2go
Banned

Oddometer: 36
Anyone around Denver want to swap a natural IMS 3.2 tank for a natural 4.6(ish)? Or does someone have a 4.6 for sell? Also, I am looking for a skid plate if anyone has one. Thanks!!!

Well, while I am at it, what part of the wiring harness needs to be upgraded when the stator has been rewound?
GSA2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #13007
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,197
Another hard slog downunder this weekend ,,very very wet ... but a blast all the same

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #13008
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
Another hard slog downunder this weekend ,,very very wet ... but a blast all the same

Beautiful country you have there. Love the twin low pipes on that xr too.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #13009
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
Burnzilla- Try from the front. I had to do a bit of a funky reach around to get it off but I managed to do it. If that doesn't work you can always try a 1/4 in drive socket and ratchet or a socket, screwdriver drive, and a small wrench.
Thanks. I removed the clutch shifter and got in there to remove it.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #13010
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Does anyone else feel this way about XR650R...

People say it's too heavy, but I can throw it around like a 250 without really breaking a sweat. I can climb the greatest of hills, tackle the most technical trails, and race across the desert doing 80. I am decent at doing sharp berm terms, and getting better each time I practice. Here's the weird part. I am completely average. Barely 5'10", 160lbs, 33" inseam (I get an inch or so out of my boots), and not all that muscley. All this goes through my head when I am "showing off" (no ones around to watch Lol). Just baffles me sometimes.

I feel like Scott Summers with all the 250s and 450s around (though obviously not nearly as good! ...yet ). To me the bike feels so damn nimble, and the power!

"I wish I bought a lighter/smaller bike" has never popped in my head while riding. My next bike will be another 650R.
Couldn't agree more ... it's no lightweight but amazingly easy to throw around for a 650. Nothing else comes close, all things considered.
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #13011
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
So my buddy just installed a new, fully wrapped, stator on his XR. But the bike isn't running so well with it on. Ran fine with the stock one, but when the new one goes in, the pig sounds like it's running funny, and will die almost every time it gets gas.

What part of the stator swap is this coming from?
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #13012
GSA2go
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
So my buddy just installed a new, fully wrapped, stator on his XR. But the bike isn't running so well with it on. Ran fine with the stock one, but when the new one goes in, the pig sounds like it's running funny, and will die almost every time it gets gas.

What part of the stator swap is this coming from?

The only part of the stator that affects the bikes ability to run is the smaller, black ignition pick-up. Check the wires to that and make sure it is working! DOH! and there are 2 poles on the stator itself that supply power to the ignition system. I'll have to check and see which ones they are. Someone here probably has a picture of it. I know they are grey colored from the factory, or atleast on mine they are.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #13013
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA2go View Post
The only part of the stator that affects the bikes ability to run is the smaller, black ignition pick-up. Check the wires to that and make sure it is working! DOH! and there are 2 poles on the stator itself that supply power to the ignition system. I'll have to check and see which ones they are. Someone here probably has a picture of it. I know they are grey colored from the factory, or atleast on mine they are.

They are separate windings. He should have left these alone. (One or two poles, can't remember)

Another issue is if you changed it over to DC with a regulator / rectifier and share the frame as a ground. If running A/C with just a regulator, or the stock regulator (now undersized) the bikes running will not be affected.

Regarding bike talk, the XRR is a good motorcycle. IMO, it can't hold fire to the MX trail bikes, but, on the right trails it can hang with them for sure. If I ride with my buddies and they go on flowing single track without too many really technical sections, I often still find myself at the front of the group hauling ass. I normally lead, but I find them catching me if we get into lots of large logs, big rocks, and nasty climbs. I also retire much earlier from the ride because of being worn out. I used to ride a KTM 250XC which for duration riding, is no comparison.

I often ask myself, which bike would i get if I were to relieve the XRR of it's duties? I can only think of a few that might be somewhat comparable:

1. BMW X-challenge
2. Husky 610/630
3. KTM 690
4. KTM LC4

That's a pretty small list of bikes, many of them much newer then the XRR but none of them adding much other then maybe gearing improvements. I don't care for FI. I don't have problems with a carb and I like simplicity, something the XRR dominates at.

Additional note is that they are all much more expensive.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 12:00 PM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #13014
GSA2go
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
They are separate windings. He should have left these alone. (One or two poles, can't remember)

Should have! But did he?! There are 2 poles for the ignition.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #13015
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post

Another issue is if you changed it over to DC with a regulator / rectifier and share the frame as a ground. If running A/C with just a regulator, or the stock regulator (now undersized) the bikes running will not be affected.

Regarding bike talk, the XRR is a good motorcycle. IMO, it can't hold fire to the MX trail bikes, but, on the right trails it can hang with them for sure. If I ride with my buddies and they go on flowing single track without too many really technical sections, I often still find myself at the front of the group hauling ass. I normally lead, but I find them catching me if we get into lots of large logs, big rocks, and nasty climbs. I also retire much earlier from the ride because of being worn out. I used to ride a KTM 250XC which for duration riding, is no comparison.

I often ask myself, which bike would i get if I were to relieve the XRR of it's duties? I can only think of a few that might be somewhat comparable:

1. BMW X-challenge
2. Husky 610/630
3. KTM 690
4. KTM LC4

That's a pretty small list of bikes, many of them much newer then the XRR but none of them adding much other then maybe gearing improvements. I don't care for FI. I don't have problems with a carb and I like simplicity, something the XRR dominates at.
It is a small list. Agree with you on simplicity, not to mention price. Guess it depends what you want the bike for. Everything is a compromise somehow. I like how so many XRRs are project bikes too, not just bought and ridden.

Regarding the rectifier and frame ground, it's best to keep the DC and AC grounds separate, but have never heard of a case where the ignition was affected by how the Rectifier was grounded, as they're on separate stator windings/wiring. There was a discussion about this a long time back on the electrical thread.

Gildus screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 12:13 PM
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #13016
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Radiator Repair?

Seems my thermostat housing hit the radiator and I currently have a small pinhole leak in the left hand radiator.

Can I just get this welded up at a rad shop?
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #13017
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555 View Post
Seems my thermostat housing hit the radiator and I currently have a small pinhole leak in the left hand radiator.

I have successfully tig welded rads. As long as it is on the outside edge where it is accessible. You might have to cut a few of the cooling fins out of the way to get a clear shot at the hole.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #13018
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
I have successfully tig welded rads. As long as it is on the outside edge where it is accessible. You might have to cut a few of the cooling fins out of the way to get a clear shot at the hole.
Its right dead center in the middle of the rad its about a 1/2" x 1/2" area thats been pushed in flat, the leak seems very small though. It only leaks under pressure currently.
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #13019
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,197

Im on the right and me Mate Digga on the left

and our pigs on a very very wet weekend
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #13020
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555 View Post

I JB Welded a pinhole leak on my rad with the intention of getting it properly welded when home from the trip. That was four years ago, never did get it welded, the JB is still sealing perfect.
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote