Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #13246
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
Mounted up a new set of tires on the sumo wheels last night. Hated the way real street tires felt on gravel on the bike. So I went for something a little more dualsport, Once I get my WR450 plated I'll probably leave these on most of the time.
Shinko705s

120/90 front is close

140/80 on the rear
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #13247
ipappy
2muchwork&littleplay

Oddometer: 10
Stallin at idle

I couldn't decide if i should post this here or in wrenching but i figured you guys could help My Dad just bought an '03 xr650r. I took it out for a ride and after it was sufficiently warmed up the bike would die at idle without any choke. I guess the bike is a CA model so I dialed the pilot screw out 2 turns without any changes in stalling. I adjusted the idle control knob near the choke but it didn't seem to affect it either. Any suggestions are welcome. I was just trying to avoid taking the carb off. I guess it has been sitting for about 6 months but I put fresh gas in and rode it for about an hour pretty hard. That should have got all the gunk out.

Btw, awesome bike. Fast, powerful and exactly what I may upgrade to after my KLR650.
ipappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #13248
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
[QUOTE=pigpen;18697697][QUOTE=jm-2008;18697431]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMZens View Post

It's an XR650R, just point in one direction, open throttle and sees where it takes you! I'm a tad concerned when there are too many KLR'esch posts in the xr thread. It's a damn dirt bike! Not a gs! Sorry!!! Just saying!
I've seen NMZens bike, bothing KLR'ish about it, late model XRR sportin USD, and some nice upgrades. It's a trick bike

NMZens, you should post up a better pic of your XR

As for the bigger Lorance, I can appreciate a nice sized gps screen but looking at it's position, size and mounting options, I'd stick with the 60series, have some maps with you and a good familiarization of the Big Bend area, Google Earth, Mapquest and Topos work well.

As you know, lots of very remote areas around here where navigation is a requirment. I find I can get by with the smaller screen unit and consult it at junctions and have a map available. Being able to see the track as you ride is nice but is it worth the extra bulk and weight, esp since you're still carrying the other gps.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #13249
NMZens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Pick a direction and ride.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but when routing a trail in unfamiliar territory, I'd prefer to be able to easily verify where I am in relation to where I need to go. Especially when I start exploring. The 60csx loses to much detail when zoomed out to figure which road/trail I need to take back. The Lowrance isn't too much larger than a commonly used Garmin 276c but it is quite a bit more powerful. Here's my route for BB. I can't afford to be endlessly lost in the desert with my buddies 1.9 gallon fuel capacity on is WR ;) There's about a bajillion dead end roads out in the Chihuahuan desert.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #13250
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipappy View Post
I couldn't decide if i should post this here or in wrenching but i figured you guys could help My Dad just bought an '03 xr650r. I took it out for a ride and after it was sufficiently warmed up the bike would die at idle without any choke. I guess the bike is a CA model so I dialed the pilot screw out 2 turns without any changes in stalling. I adjusted the idle control knob near the choke but it didn't seem to affect it either. Any suggestions are welcome. I was just trying to avoid taking the carb off. I guess it has been sitting for about 6 months but I put fresh gas in and rode it for about an hour pretty hard. That should have got all the gunk out.

Btw, awesome bike. Fast, powerful and exactly what I may upgrade to after my KLR650.
Todays cheap gas is notorious for clogging pilot circuits if left to sit awhile. Sounds like it needs cleaned out.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #13251
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Pick a direction and ride.
I agree, but when routing a trail in unfamiliar territory, I'd prefer to be able to easily verify where I am in relation to where I need to go. Especially when I start exploring. The 60csx loses to much detail when zoomed out to figure which road/trail I need to take back. The Lowrance isn't too much larger than a commonly used Garmin 276c but it is quite a bit more powerful. Here's my route for BB. I can't afford to be endlessly lost in the desert with my buddies 1.9 gallon fuel capacity on is WR ;) There's about a bajillion dead end roads out in the Chihuahuan desert.
[/QUOTE]

The 60 isn't going to have that nice of a picture and I agree the lorance is better suited for OR nav. I've never found that I couldn't figure out where I was and follow a track using the 60, it's just not as fast and more of a PITA than the big screen. You def cant see the 60 while riding, if the size doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #13252
NMZens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
[QUOTE=RideFreak;18700817][QUOTE=pigpen;18697697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008 View Post

NMZens, you should post up a better pic of your XR

This is loaded up for a self supported 5 day ride, I don't usually ride this fat.

"esp since you're still carrying the other gps.
Just taking the Garmin as backup since I'm unfamiliar with Lorry right now.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #13253
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,324
As always Chris, excellent info given. In a very well thought out manner. I too was looking at that BIG Lowrance, severial years ago. For many of the same reasons. But, my KISS approach...finally made me see the light. I went with the Garmin 60. In dirt riding, sometimes you have to compromise.

NMZens, with all due respect...tell your friend to get a bigger tank. Also, very nice looking bike.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #13254
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
As always Chris, excellent info given. In a very well thought out manner. I too was looking at that BIG Lowrance, severial years ago. For many of the same reasons. But, my KISS approach...finally made me see the light. I went with the Garmin 60. In dirt riding, sometimes you have to compromise.

NMZens, with all due respect...tell your friend to get a bigger tank. Also, very nice looking bike.
So I have been using a 60cs for the past few years, and I notice that a lot of you have them mounted on the bars. I never had any luck with thay because it always shuts off (breaks battery contact) on hard bumps and vibration.
so I have just resorted to leashing it to my back pack strap. It is nice there because I can grap it and read it without coming to a complete stop, usually, sometimes I fall down.

So have any you had any issues with the 60 shutting down while in bar mounts?

I just lost mine and am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 62.

Btw, that is a good looking bike of NMzens. One of the better looking xrr I have seen.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #13255
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,324
^^^^ Due to injury, I have not been able to test this TT mount. However, friends of mine have used this TT mount for there Garmin 60's. It has gotten great reviews, from the owners that I know. Here in AZ, the roads are very rough. To me the only down side of this mount, is the price. If you want to play, you sometimes have to pay.

Garthe screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 02:09 PM
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #13256
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Pick a direction and ride.
[/QUOTE]

Just my 2 cents here, but I agree with other inmates that you dont need the big GPS screen your carting around. The small Garmin will do just fine, and you have to zoom in to get the needed detail. In Big Bend where your going the roads are well established. Unlike other states, Texas does not have miles and miles of public dirt roads to get lost on. You wont really be exploring trails because there are none where your going, unless you have access to ride on private property that has them. You will be on park or county roads. You will find many locked gates and warning signs if you come up on private property. But, GPS and maps are CRITICAL to confirming you are on a public road, as often land owners will try to "fake you out" with a sign or chain and lock hung on a gate. Navigation inside Big Bend National Park is quite easy itself.

That big unit will get in the way, and likely bust when you fall or drop the bike.

If you have time, check out Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP), note: STATE PARK, for the best dual sport riding in Texas. Check out report here:
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2515.0

Navigation in BBRSP is more difficult in some areas, but signage is pretty good. Your Garmin will serve well for bread crumbs. The 4x4 roads are lots of class 2 and 3, there is bunk house you can stay in. BBRSP offers more technical riding than Big Bend National Park. Each are great in their own way. Wear quality protective gear in BBRSP. It is very remote, and rescue is a min. of 4 hours just to get someone out to you.

Also, your riding partner really needs a bigger tank.

Enjoy your trip to TX and looking forward to hearing about it!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #13257
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 772
Gps

[QUOTE=crypto666;18701848]So I have been using a 60cs for the past few years, and I notice that a lot of you have them mounted on the bars. I never had any luck with thay because it always shuts off (breaks battery contact) on hard bumps and vibration.
so I have just resorted to leashing it to my back pack strap. It is nice there because I can grap it and read it without coming to a complete stop, usually, sometimes I fall down.

QUOTE]

If your able to hard-wire you 60 series into the bike that is best. You can get the five-pin connector with hard wire, if you have 12volts DC to power it? I assume even a small nicad batter pack is enough?

And for mounts, I love Stovey's BuzzBomb Cradle! All handmade by Stovey himself!

Check these out:

http://gpstracklog.com/2010/05/a-new...gps-mount.html
Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #13258
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post

The battery cavity in the 60 series GPS units is a little too large, when hardmounted the batteries can move inside there causing connection problems with the main circuit board. A short section of adhisive foam weatherstrip attached inside the back cover will prevent it from happening but if it's already doing it (cutting off) the damage might already be done.

I use the hardwire so I can run full brightness all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post

It's an XR650R, just point in one direction, open throttle and sees where it takes you! I'm a tad concerned when there are too many KLR'esch posts in the xr thread. It's a damn dirt bike! Not a gs! Sorry!!! Just saying!
Where we take the XRs, ya better have a very good idea where you're at, easily multiple days of walking (in the desert) to get to help. Forget a cell signal

Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #13259
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
So I have been using a 60cs for the past few years, and I notice that a lot of you have them mounted on the bars. I never had any luck with thay because it always shuts off (breaks battery contact) on hard bumps and vibration.

I just lost mine and am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 62.

Btw, that is a good looking bike of NMzens. One of the better looking xrr I have seen.

Borrowed a 60c once it too shut down just after the screen broke closely followed by my collar bone
Now I carry a 60csx in the pack and refer to it when stopped
Not always convenient but it has survived a few altercations with the TERRA FIRMA
and as noted by others not possible to read it when mobile
Have had no issues with it capturing track log data whilst in the pack
Would be happier with a bigger screen otherwise a great tool to use in conjunction with maps
Our rides are usually two day affairs run ing the return leg on the second day
TRACK BACK feature has been very useful in unfamiliar territory
JM

jm-2008 screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 05:01 PM
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #13260
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
+1 on stoveys buzz bomb cradle for the 60 series gps. Protects the unit very well and almost zero chance of loosing the gps in rough terrain like I've seen so many others do. Coupled with a ram mount, it's very stable and I haven't had any problem with the cutting out described here.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote