User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #13276
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Got some new toys in the mail today .

Curious about the FMF quality issue. What seems to be the problems with em?

Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #13277
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,299
Freaking love these bike's

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #13278
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
Got some new toys in the mail today .

Curious about the FMF quality issue. What seems to be the problems with em?

I don't have any quality issues that I can tell, other then it's ridiculously loud. That being said, I didn't get the Q4 because this one was stupid cheap. I might modify the internals to make it quieter when I get it back.

My buddy has a Q4 that he bought used and although I can't say if the packing is blown out or not, but it's way louder then it should be. Basically the same volume as a stock uncorked pipe.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #13279
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

So the FMF pipe isn't bad it just seems to get loud? The only reason I am curious is because a friend of mine will give me a brand new FMF Q4 for $100. It's a great price I just never coincided replacing the stock can.

Installed the pillow top grips an got my ears on. Reseal the TM40 & petcock, on goes the 7 gal. tanker tomorrow.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #13280
mattymurn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Bike won't start all of a sudden

This bike has NEVER let me down, til today. Out at our favorite riding area with my family, went to start the bike and the bike just would not start. Rode the bike the evening before and it ran no problem parked it overnight, gas off as normal and it just wouldn't start in the morning.

I drained the float bowl numerous times,
fuel flowing from the petcock no problem
pull the bowl off , float is free (not stuck)
air cleaner is clean
checked spark plug and verified there is a spark.

when kicking it over I will sometimes get a very loud backfire from the exhaust pipe ? but thats it.

Most of the time the kicking is like there is no spark.

Bike as the stock carb, uncorked with full header yosh exhaust.

this bike as been a 1 or 2 kick starter till today.

help ? any ideas.

thanks

matt.
mattymurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #13281
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
float stuck maybe flooding,try kicking over a few times with compression release lever and throttle opened wide open to clear it out.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #13282
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymurn View Post
This bike has NEVER let me down, til today. Out at our favorite riding area with my family, went to start the bike and the bike just would not start. Rode the bike the evening before and it ran no problem parked it overnight, gas off as normal and it just wouldn't start in the morning.

air cleaner is clean

when kicking it over I will sometimes get a very loud backfire from the exhaust pipe ? but thats it.

help ? any ideas.

thanks

matt.
Put a fresh plug in. I would bet your fuel petcock is starting to leak and filling the float bowl, thous fouling the plug. When mine pops out the exhaust its because I flood it. Use the XRR starting method.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #13283
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
^^^ + 1
You have a spare plug surely, plus spanner?
This is kit you always have, and yes, you never need it - until yesterday
Get one of those egg-shaped holders for the plug, they survive airdropping even.
Swap plug - if still no starting you'll know it's the carb, simple really.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #13284
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
[QUOTE=mattymurn;18725425]This bike has NEVER let me down, til today. Out at our favorite riding area with my family, went to start the bike and the bike just would not start. Rode the bike the evening before and it ran no problem parked it overnight, gas off as normal and it just wouldn't start in the morning.

air cleaner is clean

help ? any ideas.

thanks

matt.

Had similar symptoms after drowning the bike late last year
Found the stator cover gasket was incorrectly fitted previously
Lots of water and rust in the stator cover
Found rust flakes shorting across the solder terminals on the trigger coil
If all else fails suggested by others here and you find intermittent spark pull the cover and check
for water in the stator cover
JM
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #13285
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
JM,

good to hear this, your leaking gasket I mean. No offense to anyone, but many tend to re-use gaskets - with which is not too much wrong but then some 'aid' is needed.
I've mentioned before how good Hylomar Blue is in this respect, a non-setting (a huuuge understatement in itself) gasket-maker. I seals absolutely perfect, it comes loose very easily and without ripping a gasket, it will wipe off with thinners after years, and out on track you may close it up again without any ado - not ideal but it will work, I've done this during 24hr races.
After using any other shite on the market (note, proper branded stuff) for over 10 years I've found this stuff again, and of course I bought enough. Try this stuff once and you will never-ever use anything else, my block on a cock.
Dunno where else it is sold, I got mine from merlinmotorsports.com in the UK.
For those remembering them, this stuff really will seal a BSA or Norton - says enough?

Ah no, of course this ain't a remedy for re-using top-gaskets, just in case somebody thinks this is a bright idea to save money here
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #13286
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymurn View Post

matt.
I'm not sure how the stock carb is adjusted 100% b/c I have the eddie, but I've experienced similar problems before that you're having. For me, when it was backfiring, it was b/c it was getting too much gas due to the idle adjustment screw. It was turned a few turns to many, allowing way to much fuel, thus flooding, and causing backfire.
I'd check the idle adjustment, turn it all the way down, then start making small turns, and trying a kick or two every adjustment and see if the pig will start.
Before you begin, I'd also hold in the decomp lever and do about ten kicks to clear it out. Then start with the idle adjustments.

Another thing I've experienced is a wire connection coming loose. More importantly, the kill switch wire, thus in completing the circuit. Just from romping around in the woods, the wire kind of wiggled loose and had a hard time completing the circuit. Once started it would run, sometimes, but once I parked it would be a bitch to start. Plagued me for two days (see RR for more detail on that) until I jiggled the wires after about 15 kicks, then next kick, yahtzee!. It presented the same way you're describing too, rode fine to a spot, stopped and ate, went to leave, and nothing. Was obvious the bike wasn't getting spark, but I couldn't figure out why, especially since I was just riding it a few hours ago.

GIve those two possibilities a try. Keep us posted. With the simplicity of the XR, and the knowledge in this thread, I'm sure we can figure it out.

'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #13287
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Another thing, I don't see what a leaking petcock would do, or how it'd cause problems. I've heard this before and never really understood. If someone could shed some light on this, it'd be much appreciated.
I don't turn my petcocks off after reading a post about a guy who always left his on, and his bikes never failed to start. I tried it, and I've had pretty much the same experience. I've always heard people say to ALWAYS turn them off, but never questioned the theory.

It might be a little different with the stock carb, but having an eddie, with the famed shitty fuel inlet design, I feel that just leaving the fuel on, it makes it impossible for that valve to get stuck closed. No more banging on the side of the eddie with a screw driver for me.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #13288
mattymurn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
still no luck starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
^^^ + 1
You have a spare plug surely, plus spanner?
This is kit you always have, and yes, you never need it - until yesterday
Get one of those egg-shaped holders for the plug, they survive airdropping even.
Swap plug - if still no starting you'll know it's the carb, simple really.

thanks for all the ideas so far, I have swapped plugs with my good spare, and verified spark is strong and consistent, tried winding the idle all the way out and starting fresh, nada. My thinking now is not enough compression, I just adjusted the valves and the decomp seems to be working normally, maybe the intakes are tight and not allowing full compression ?
mattymurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #13289
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Another thing, I don't see what a leaking petcock would do, or how it'd cause problems. I've heard this before and never really understood. If someone could shed some light on this, it'd be much appreciated.
I don't turn my petcocks off after reading a post about a guy who always left his on, and his bikes never failed to start. I tried it, and I've had pretty much the same experience. I've always heard people say to ALWAYS turn them off, but never questioned the theory.

It might be a little different with the stock carb, but having an eddie, with the famed shitty fuel inlet design, I feel that just leaving the fuel on, it makes it impossible for that valve to get stuck closed. No more banging on the side of the eddie with a screw driver for me.
My needle/seat was a little weak, if the bike sat for afew days it would start to leak out the vent tubes(with the petcock in the off position). So I had two problems, one compounded the other. Bouncing around in the bed of a truck made seemed to make it worse also. Bits of the petcock gasket were also lodging under needle/seat.

Capt. Egregious screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 11:02 AM
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #13290
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Re: Hylomar -- should be readily available from aircraft parts/supply businesses.

Gearing question. I just bought a 2003 XR650R set up for dual sport use. It has a 15/43 sprocket set that will need replacement before too long. I plan to use it in central Idaho between 2000 - 10000 ft elevation with most riding between 5000 - 8000. Some single track, but mostly jeep roads/trails. I'm wondering what the best compromise in gearing would be that will allow a comfortable 70mph cruise on highway sections and sections where there are steeper rocky/sandy sections. For those familiar with the McCall area - typical road section might be from McCall to Riggins and dirt might be from the Salmon River road up Carey Crk to Burgdorf. For the really knarly stuff I'll use the little XR250R.

TIA for any suggestions
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote