Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #13306
jm-2008
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
[QUOTE=zeroblah;18735243]I might be having some front end issues with my 01' XRR. Originally I noticed my front tire was closer to right hand fork tube (if your sitting on the bike). I can barely get a index finger between the tire and the fork tube, but the other side has plenty of room. I checked the normal things like, does the wheel spin without the disc dragging? check. does the tire wobble? a little. so i figured it had to be a spoke problem, I tried trueing the spokes, but noticed most of them were stripped. So I sent it out to get the front and rear rims relaced. Now i have bran spanky new spokes, but the damn tire is in the same spot. Anyone have this same problem? My mechanic decided it had to be engineered this way. The original reason I got into this mess is, because the front end seemed to wash out on me very easily. Could this be a mechinal problem, or is it rider error? Thanks in advance for any information.

Are they OEM wheels or a motard set?
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #13307
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 345
OEM wheels. No they didnt measure before relacing. I wasnt really thinking about that, i was just hoping new spokes would fix the problem. Need to find my manual. does anyone have the recomended spacing handy? as soon as i can figure it out i'll post up a picture.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #13308
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblah View Post
OEM wheels. No they didnt measure before relacing. I wasnt really thinking about that, i was just hoping new spokes would fix the problem. Need to find my manual. does anyone have the recomended spacing handy? as soon as i can figure it out i'll post up a picture.
Well at least the spokes shouldn't be stripped anymore so you can correct the problem, if it is a problem. When I bought my bike it was surprisingly off center. I just ran it, put about 5k miles on them since and forgot about it until you mentioned it, so it seems like no big deal as long as it isn't rubbing. YMMV
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #13309
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
The rear wheel on my old xrr was laced so that it was too far to the right. I wanted to run a larger tire, but the offset wouldn't allow it. I figured when I could afford new wheels, I'd get it fixed. Til then, I'd run it, and I never had a problem with it.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #13310
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

So im guessing its more rider error. It is a much heavier bike than my rm250. I have'nt been riding it at all because i've been putting money into here and there. Hopefully a few more parts then its good to go. I will try and find more information later on, thanks for all your help to those who answered.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #13311
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 761
Wheel centering

zeroblah,
Just checked mine! Stock wheel laced correctly, never been reworked !
I have about the same space left and right! The left fork tube to tire space is a tad bigger maybe 1-2mm than the right, but not by much.
The hub and the spacers will control the rotor placement in the calipers, so no worries there, unless your right wheel spacer is the wrong width. Then you fork tubes will get pulled in/out and cause other problems. If your left wheel spacer is wrong the rotor will not work correctly causing a dangerous riding situation.
To me it sounds like an offset problem in lacing if the wheel spears are correct.
Hope this helps!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #13312
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
Not exactly as I had remembered, doesn't give a tolerance for the spacing, just lists what it should be at, "Wheel hub to rim distance 20.3mm | .80in.", so whotf knows what's allowable. I'm surprised they don't give a tolerance, from an engineering perspective, because in reality, there is no such thing as dead nuts mostly.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #13313
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Well it is visibly closer to one side than the other. The crappy thing is I just had it relaced. So you think it would have been somewhere near the middle? Right? I mean i've never laced a rim myself. Could be paranoia? like I said as soon as I find the camera i'll take a picture. hopefully I can figure this out, because after this is stator, finish up the electrical and im done!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #13314
BMKTW2
Renegade

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
I might be having some front end issues with my 01' XRR. Originally I noticed my front tire was closer to right hand fork tube (if your sitting on the bike). I can barely get a index finger between the tire and the fork tube, but the other side has plenty of room. I checked the normal things like, does the wheel spin without the disc dragging? check. does the tire wobble? a little. so i figured it had to be a spoke problem, I tried trueing the spokes, but noticed most of them were stripped. So I sent it out to get the front and rear rims relaced. Now i have bran spanky new spokes, but the damn tire is in the same spot. Anyone have this same problem? My mechanic decided it had to be engineered this way. The original reason I got into this mess is, because the front end seemed to wash out on me very easily. Could this be a mechinal problem, or is it rider error? Thanks in advance for any information.

I noticed the exact same thing on my 05XRR
When I took the wheel off, installed a new tire and then reset the wheel, everything is straight. Dont know what it was...
BMKTW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #13315
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
Well it is visibly closer to one side than the other. The crappy thing is I just had it relaced. So you think it would have been somewhere near the middle? Right? I mean i've never laced a rim myself. Could be paranoia? like I said as soon as I find the camera i'll take a picture. hopefully I can figure this out, because after this is stator, finish up the electrical and im done!
Just for reference, just measured mine roughly, right side tire to fork is about half inch or a hair less, left side is over an inch. Not noticable when I ride. That's how the bike came, I thought of trying to fix it, but rather leave it than to make it even but not round.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #13316
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx View Post
Just for reference, just measured mine roughly, right side tire to fork is about half inch or a hair less, left side is over an inch. Not noticable when I ride. That's how the bike came, I thought of trying to fix it, but rather leave it than to make it even but not round.
Just measured mine (took me forever to find a ruler, just moved into this place the garage is a mess). Found out I have the same spacing on mine. If you look at the front of the bike, the tire is a hair under a half inch from the left fork tube, and just over (maybe) and inch on the right. Once I get the thing back together and running I'll go from there. Probably just need to learn how to ride the beast, and realize it's not my single track assault bike (05 RM250) Thank you for all your help
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #13317
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 760
It is a straight forward job to center the rim in the fork. At least now with your new nipples. You start by releasing all the spokes 1 full turn on the side that is too close to the tube. Then take up a full turn on the opposite side. Note how much it moved and repeat.

The rim is simply held in suspension by the spoke tension. If the nipples pop a lot as you do it they need some lubrication.
BTW, this is the same way you remove a wobble in the rims. After a good ride check the spoke tension to be sure nothing is loosening. Be sure and get a good wrench to start with.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #13318
juri.tabain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hey folks,

first post, lots of reading to look back at. Thanks for that.

Got myself a nice piggy, planning to take it from Europe to Australia overland, starting next March.
Will get some nice farkles (steel subframe might be the most important one...) and have a summer to set it all up to my needs.

Anyhow, I am having a bit of a struggle about nice gearing for long distance - any recommendations?

So far my plan is to go with a 45ish rear and 16 front (=15/41=Aussie version) and then just swap front sprockets on the fly as needed.

Would you reckon this too high? There is a lot of road riding to do, although we plan to avoid highways.
Found that nice little gearing calc a few hundred pages back - but whats the revs piggy feels most comfy at?
My mate (who is going on a TT600S) always goes on about not gearing it too high so she doesn't get overstretched when starting up with luggage... which makes me remember to do the suspension...
juri.tabain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #13319
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,463
G'day ....16/45 is nice for long hauls ...bike will sit on around 4700 rpm at 100 km/60mph thats where i get my best mileage

Bike will still have pull at that speed no worries and will carry the weight well if loaded correctly .. keep your bags forward as much as you can keep em low

i carry weight on mine regular without issues ....steel subframe is the best bet if your worried

you will need a 16 tooth case saver to suit your sprocket aussie spec's OEM will suit

sounds like a great trip .....bike will love it
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #13320
NorCal Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
also running a 16/45 setup on mine, & it's an awesome ratio for hauling ass down the highways here in the bay area. still pulls hard & will run 70/80 all day long. i opened up the id of my case saver a bit with a grinder, so no need to buy new.
NorCal Dog is offline   Reply With Quote