Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #13306
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx View Post
I don't know if this is realistic help for you, but there has been one for sale on NH craigslist for a long time.

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3004037309.html
Awesome! Thanks man that is what I was looking for
Im emailing him now
Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #13307
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
I've got one from my 07,in NH also,same $.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #13308
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad View Post
I've got one from my 07,in NH also,same $.
If this other falls threw I will hit you up about yours, thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #13309
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 317
Question

I might be having some front end issues with my 01' XRR. Originally I noticed my front tire was closer to right hand fork tube (if your sitting on the bike). I can barely get a index finger between the tire and the fork tube, but the other side has plenty of room. I checked the normal things like, does the wheel spin without the disc dragging? check. does the tire wobble? a little. so i figured it had to be a spoke problem, I tried trueing the spokes, but noticed most of them were stripped. So I sent it out to get the front and rear rims relaced. Now i have bran spanky new spokes, but the damn tire is in the same spot. Anyone have this same problem? My mechanic decided it had to be engineered this way. The original reason I got into this mess is, because the front end seemed to wash out on me very easily. Could this be a mechinal problem, or is it rider error? Thanks in advance for any information.

zeroblah screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 01:14 PM Reason: stoopid keyboard
zeroblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #13310
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblah View Post
I might be having some front end issues with my 01' XRR. Originally I noticed my front tire was closer to right hand fork tube (if your sitting on the bike). I can barely get a index finger between the tire and the fork tube, but the other side has plenty of room. I checked the normal things like, does the wheel spin without the disc dragging? check. does the tire wobble? a little. so i figured it had to be a spoke problem, I tried trueing the spokes, but noticed most of them were stripped. So I sent it out to get the front and rear rims relaced. Now i have bran spanky new spokes, but the damn tire is in the same spot. Anyone have this same problem? My mechanic decided it had to be engineered this way. The original reason I got into this mess is, because the front end seemed to wash out on me very easily. Could this be a mechinal problem, or is it rider error? Thanks in advance for any information.
I believe the service manual lists a specific dimension for how far off center a wheel can be laced. By any chance did they measure your old wheel to set the center spacing on the new wheel? EDIT: I would measure to verify that the hub/wheel offset dimension is correct, and if it's out of spec, contact whoever relaced the wheels.

But if it's within spec according to the service manual, then there is no problem.

XRx screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 02:18 PM
XRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #13311
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
[QUOTE=zeroblah;18735243]I might be having some front end issues with my 01' XRR. Originally I noticed my front tire was closer to right hand fork tube (if your sitting on the bike). I can barely get a index finger between the tire and the fork tube, but the other side has plenty of room. I checked the normal things like, does the wheel spin without the disc dragging? check. does the tire wobble? a little. so i figured it had to be a spoke problem, I tried trueing the spokes, but noticed most of them were stripped. So I sent it out to get the front and rear rims relaced. Now i have bran spanky new spokes, but the damn tire is in the same spot. Anyone have this same problem? My mechanic decided it had to be engineered this way. The original reason I got into this mess is, because the front end seemed to wash out on me very easily. Could this be a mechinal problem, or is it rider error? Thanks in advance for any information.

Are they OEM wheels or a motard set?
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #13312
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

OEM wheels. No they didnt measure before relacing. I wasnt really thinking about that, i was just hoping new spokes would fix the problem. Need to find my manual. does anyone have the recomended spacing handy? as soon as i can figure it out i'll post up a picture.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #13313
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
OEM wheels. No they didnt measure before relacing. I wasnt really thinking about that, i was just hoping new spokes would fix the problem. Need to find my manual. does anyone have the recomended spacing handy? as soon as i can figure it out i'll post up a picture.
Well at least the spokes shouldn't be stripped anymore so you can correct the problem, if it is a problem. When I bought my bike it was surprisingly off center. I just ran it, put about 5k miles on them since and forgot about it until you mentioned it, so it seems like no big deal as long as it isn't rubbing. YMMV
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #13314
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
The rear wheel on my old xrr was laced so that it was too far to the right. I wanted to run a larger tire, but the offset wouldn't allow it. I figured when I could afford new wheels, I'd get it fixed. Til then, I'd run it, and I never had a problem with it.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #13315
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

So im guessing its more rider error. It is a much heavier bike than my rm250. I have'nt been riding it at all because i've been putting money into here and there. Hopefully a few more parts then its good to go. I will try and find more information later on, thanks for all your help to those who answered.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #13316
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 627
Wheel centering

zeroblah,
Just checked mine! Stock wheel laced correctly, never been reworked !
I have about the same space left and right! The left fork tube to tire space is a tad bigger maybe 1-2mm than the right, but not by much.
The hub and the spacers will control the rotor placement in the calipers, so no worries there, unless your right wheel spacer is the wrong width. Then you fork tubes will get pulled in/out and cause other problems. If your left wheel spacer is wrong the rotor will not work correctly causing a dangerous riding situation.
To me it sounds like an offset problem in lacing if the wheel spears are correct.
Hope this helps!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #13317
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
Not exactly as I had remembered, doesn't give a tolerance for the spacing, just lists what it should be at, "Wheel hub to rim distance 20.3mm | .80in.", so whotf knows what's allowable. I'm surprised they don't give a tolerance, from an engineering perspective, because in reality, there is no such thing as dead nuts mostly.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #13318
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Well it is visibly closer to one side than the other. The crappy thing is I just had it relaced. So you think it would have been somewhere near the middle? Right? I mean i've never laced a rim myself. Could be paranoia? like I said as soon as I find the camera i'll take a picture. hopefully I can figure this out, because after this is stator, finish up the electrical and im done!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #13319
BMKTW2
Renegade

Oddometer: 40
Quote:

I noticed the exact same thing on my 05XRR
When I took the wheel off, installed a new tire and then reset the wheel, everything is straight. Dont know what it was...
BMKTW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #13320
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
Well it is visibly closer to one side than the other. The crappy thing is I just had it relaced. So you think it would have been somewhere near the middle? Right? I mean i've never laced a rim myself. Could be paranoia? like I said as soon as I find the camera i'll take a picture. hopefully I can figure this out, because after this is stator, finish up the electrical and im done!
Just for reference, just measured mine roughly, right side tire to fork is about half inch or a hair less, left side is over an inch. Not noticable when I ride. That's how the bike came, I thought of trying to fix it, but rather leave it than to make it even but not round.