Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #13321
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx View Post
Just for reference, just measured mine roughly, right side tire to fork is about half inch or a hair less, left side is over an inch. Not noticable when I ride. That's how the bike came, I thought of trying to fix it, but rather leave it than to make it even but not round.
Just measured mine (took me forever to find a ruler, just moved into this place the garage is a mess). Found out I have the same spacing on mine. If you look at the front of the bike, the tire is a hair under a half inch from the left fork tube, and just over (maybe) and inch on the right. Once I get the thing back together and running I'll go from there. Probably just need to learn how to ride the beast, and realize it's not my single track assault bike (05 RM250) Thank you for all your help
Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #13322
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 736
It is a straight forward job to center the rim in the fork. At least now with your new nipples. You start by releasing all the spokes 1 full turn on the side that is too close to the tube. Then take up a full turn on the opposite side. Note how much it moved and repeat.

The rim is simply held in suspension by the spoke tension. If the nipples pop a lot as you do it they need some lubrication.
BTW, this is the same way you remove a wobble in the rims. After a good ride check the spoke tension to be sure nothing is loosening. Be sure and get a good wrench to start with.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #13323
juri.tabain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hey folks,

first post, lots of reading to look back at. Thanks for that.

Got myself a nice piggy, planning to take it from Europe to Australia overland, starting next March.
Will get some nice farkles (steel subframe might be the most important one...) and have a summer to set it all up to my needs.

Anyhow, I am having a bit of a struggle about nice gearing for long distance - any recommendations?

So far my plan is to go with a 45ish rear and 16 front (=15/41=Aussie version) and then just swap front sprockets on the fly as needed.

Would you reckon this too high? There is a lot of road riding to do, although we plan to avoid highways.
Found that nice little gearing calc a few hundred pages back - but whats the revs piggy feels most comfy at?
My mate (who is going on a TT600S) always goes on about not gearing it too high so she doesn't get overstretched when starting up with luggage... which makes me remember to do the suspension...
juri.tabain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #13324
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,299
G'day ....16/45 is nice for long hauls ...bike will sit on around 4700 rpm at 100 km/60mph thats where i get my best mileage

Bike will still have pull at that speed no worries and will carry the weight well if loaded correctly .. keep your bags forward as much as you can keep em low

i carry weight on mine regular without issues ....steel subframe is the best bet if your worried

you will need a 16 tooth case saver to suit your sprocket aussie spec's OEM will suit

sounds like a great trip .....bike will love it
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #13325
NorCal Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
also running a 16/45 setup on mine, & it's an awesome ratio for hauling ass down the highways here in the bay area. still pulls hard & will run 70/80 all day long. i opened up the id of my case saver a bit with a grinder, so no need to buy new.
NorCal Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #13326
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Rider's Manual?

I just picked up a 2003 XR650R. I've downloaded the service manual, but can't find any reference to a Riders manual or Operator's handbook. Was there ever one? If there was, does anyone know where or how to obtain it?

TIA

John
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #13327
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
I just picked up a 2003 XR650R. I've downloaded the service manual, but can't find any reference to a Riders manual or Operator's handbook. Was there ever one? If there was, does anyone know where or how to obtain it?

TIA

John

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...anual&_sacat=0
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #13328
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
XRx, Thanks for the link --- ordered one!

John
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #13329
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erndog View Post
I figured out what the rack is for today!
If I am thinking what you are laughing about - he's darn slow ain't he? Geewiz, couldn't keep my hands off them since puberty, but maybe that's just me.

Zeroblah,

anyone lacing wheels uses a stand - which very easily allows to center the rim. If done incorrectly (off center) the remedy is easy too, just re-tension the left & right hand spokes (release 1 side, then re-tension the lot). Very little readjustment is needed, as said easy to do/correct for someone who's done this before. I fact one can even do this whilst in the forks, just use some putty and a welding stick on a forkleg as a pointer is all you need.

Moose,

Europe's big - Moscow, Barcelona, Reykjavik or Prague? Also, going 'overland' you're going to have to swim a lot
I don't want to sound stupid but you're gonna ride a LOT (read: 'all') of mileage through totally alien territory - you're sure you want a high/fast gearing? Put it this way, go up to 160km/hr and you will save, oh, the grand total of 1 day only if you're lucky, on the entire trip? I'd not do it, but that's just me. The Cannonball's in the US eh, not in Turkey or Pakistan.
Sean's a loony and a daredevil (no offense Ozzi), plus he rides for him known territory. I'm with yer mate here
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #13330
juri.tabain
Adventurer

Hey BuRPsa,

technically it is going to be Kiel (Northern Germany) to Perth via Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal or Burma, Thailand, Indonesia and those in between. Yeah, includes swimming, but not too much. ;) Island hopping will do in Indonesia.
You got me wrong - I am absolutely not into high speed highway whatsoever. On the contrary. Just looking for nice and easy cruising on around 100kph on roads and the option for lower gearing (smaller sprocket) nice and easy to take on the rather rough stuff. But, if I like it or not, Piggy (called her Agnes ^^) will have to sit on bitumen for quite a few thousand klicks, so she'll better be up to it, don't you think?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #13331
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskyMoose View Post
Hey folks,

first post, lots of reading to look back at. Thanks for that.

Got myself a nice piggy, planning to take it from Europe to Australia overland, starting next March.
Will get some nice farkles (steel subframe might be the most important one...) and have a summer to set it all up to my needs.

Anyhow, I am having a bit of a struggle about nice gearing for long distance - any recommendations?

So far my plan is to go with a 45ish rear and 16 front (=15/41=Aussie version) and then just swap front sprockets on the fly as needed.

Would you reckon this too high? There is a lot of road riding to do, although we plan to avoid highways.
Found that nice little gearing calc a few hundred pages back - but whats the revs piggy feels most comfy at?
My mate (who is going on a TT600S) always goes on about not gearing it too high so she doesn't get overstretched when starting up with luggage... which makes me remember to do the suspension...
You will be riding with a bike with less power(yamaha tt600) and similar gearing
The 650r clutch does not have as much tolerance to slipping for long periods . but has a great clutch for slipping for short periods.
It overheats fairly quick
I gear for California freeway 16/40 gearing and run around 70mph at 4500 rpm, I have tried near all lower gear combos and found it best for me.(smoothest) I run a Shanko 705 rear tire its smaller than most knobies

Its Very easy to holeshot with when at 290 lbs of load (rider and gear)
off road on fire trails public accesses roads. desert roads , near any two tracker trail. it gets it done no problem
only problem with this gearing is in slow sections you may need to slip the clutch for long periods ,and that might causes a possible clutch blow out.
Some people find it a overwhelming to operate the clutch to control power? its just not as controllable as when geared lower in tricky sections.

I would definitely gear it higher than the TT600.

Sounds like a great ride plan and a great bike to do it with, take your camera and take us with you,
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #13332
juri.tabain
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
You will be riding with a bike with less power(yamaha tt600) and similar gearing
Sounds like a great ride plan and a great bike to do it with, take your camera and take us with you,
Will do. My roomie ist just building our website, www.thereandbackagain.eu (not so cheesy version: tabain.eu). Might take another two weeks or three months for him to get his job done, I'll keep you posted.
There will be shit loads of photos, I'm a little into that sort of thing...
We'll be visiting SOS Children's Villages on the way and do some docu about them, so might be an interesting read after all.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #13333
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Musky,

sounds like a darn nice trip ahead of you's. Especially the hopping onto Indonesian Islands is, was wondering how you plan on doing this - ferries? There is an inmate here living there, forgot his name, you should contact him I suggest.
In any case, what's your timetable like, fixed or open? And budget, what allows it for accommodation wise? Cheap camping or affordable lodging?
The best from my side, and keep us indeed posted, pics are nice to look at too.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #13334
juri.tabain
Adventurer

Yep, ferries it is. We're both heading for uni in Perth, WA, taking a year abroad. Which leads to the money question - being poor students tent or hammock is as comfy as it gets... at least for the pricier countries.
We first planned the trip quite tightly for 4,5 months, leaving Octobre and starting uni in Feb, but my mate screwed some French exam and got dropped out of courses until next semester, which takes us to March. Uni still starts in February, so there's more time now (maybe for Cambodia) and we roughly plan to get to Perth in August, work a bit and use the cash to trip Oz. There's a certain ship I lived on for a while (www.duyfken.com) I plan to do some volunteering for again. And we'll be visiting SOS Children's Villages on the way, doing a bit of geo-journalism (me being a geography student and wannabe photographer... ) so that might take a few more days, too.

Around August '14 I'll find myself and Agnes a cheap Boat heading East, hoping to find the time for the Americas and get back to Europe. But that's not planned yet and won't be any time soon, got a year for that in Australia.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #13335
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
This is weird...my 650R has never consumed oil really until I checked it today. It was at 1/3 of the dipstick's hatch marks. I don't think the bike burns that much oil. I did notice greasy/oily dirt on the frame near the left foot peg. I thought it was from the chain grease, but could it be leaking from the countershaft since I have been doing a lot of WOT desert sprinting stuff recently?

Bike is an '01 and have heard the seal was changed in later models.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote