User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #13351
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Bamf,

ATF is a gear oil. I won't be sheared to pieces as quick as a mineral/semi engine oil in a gearbox due to the additive package in it to enhance the VI. I know you know but to be clear, never put ATF in an engine! ATF's a water-thin oil, for it often has to work in torque convertors, and a 30-ish oil does not like doing that as well.
My KDX - a 2stroke, no engine oil! - is supposed to get Sae30 oil in the gearbox, but I put ATF in. It will lube the gears,bushes,clutch etc very well, and its thinness will cool the clutch better I think. I'm not the only one doing this (mind, with a 2stroke, again never do this with a 4stroke), and it may be that this has spread a rumour that ATF's 'better' than a normal oil. It isn't as they're too different, just in this case I think it is better suited for the application. My rig had ATF in the gearbox, and this convinced me it can handle massive pressures, so should be good enough for my KDX.
But is doesn't make a filter oil, way too thin and hugely insufficient-tacky. If really pushed I'd say use a diff oil, EP80W90, but keep the distance ridden to an absolute minimum then.

For the record, disclaimer ect etc, never-ever put ATF in a diff, pls don't get 'smart'! ATF's not an EP-oil (Extreme Pressure), it will not be able to handle the very high sliding&shearing pressures between the gears in a differential. If ever in an emergency, without diff oil or with a punched/leaking housing, rather put grease in, a LOT, that might get you home.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #13352
Desertriding
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Steel subframe from RTE

Alright, so here is a comparison of the steel subframe (with removable pannier attachments) from RTE vs the stock aluminum subframe, if anyone is interested.
My first impression of the steel subframe is how strong (and heavy) it feels and looks. When I pulled the stock one off, it felt like it only weighed 1 pound in comparison.
Desertriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #13353
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I can't imagine using ATF as engine oil. That would most likely be disastrous...anyone care to try? Hah. And by gear oil I meant the 80W rear end stuff...

I hear you on the filter oil. His explanation was that atf was stickier than motor oil, but I see you say it's not. Noted. I did clean the filter and re oil, and did some riding. Oil level didn't move and I didn't get any oil in the box. Hmm. Could the vertical hill climbing (shits more like WALL climbing actually) I was doing that day have caused it since the bike was upright? Some guy mentioned that doing wheelies will allow oil to come out, but maybe he was being a smart ass.

I will continue to closely monitor the situation. I know I must sound like an idiot with the filter thing, but I assure you I have maintained this bike religiously over the last 3 years of owner ship. Always change and check the oil, clean filter, check valves, wheel bearings replaced, chain cleaned and lubed (and recently replaced as well as the slide and sprockets), premium clean gas, good tread, etc. Bike always put away clean and dry. It did take me awhile to get into the swing arm and linkage bearings, but I made the tool and did all of that and now it's sweet. The bike is 11 years old now, and has definitely been used. I know the PO raced it as well as used it on the highway. I guess it's to be expected for some things to not be perfect. I've had previous bikes, but most things I have learned on this one on my own. I try to do the best I can on a poor college kid budget.

^Sweet subframe! Do you know how much weight it adds over the stocker?

bamfslap screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 01:46 AM
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #13354
P3rcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Wink Acerbis Tank Tank mounting troubles?

Hi Everyone:)
I've got a question for the masses for the Acerbis 25 liter tank. I got an 03 XRR used with this tank and the previous owner didn't mount the brackets correctly and now I've got to install rads on each side from the brackets, and lost 1 side of the brackets) and piercing a hole in the rads( both sides:(
Anyone have any pictures of ther tank mounts? Have they modified them or make your own? As it seems the brackets are Way too close to the rads for my liking.
Stock or modified mounts?
Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
Anyone upgrade there rads and have spare rads for some positive karma ?
Tks PB
P3rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #13355
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,176
Love those subframes

If your buying this frame weight aint an issue ,,,,,you would get this frame to add more weight so why bother with what the sub weighs

tho personally i hove done 4 day trips on my bike carrying everything i need ...subframe held up fine

Suspension and the way the load is carried is the key to getting these bikes to carry well

keep bags low and forward ...works for me
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #13356
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
P3rcr,

I'm assuming that you're referring to the lower tank mounts with the brackets that slip behind the upper bolt on the bottom engine mount. I just started installing my tank on an 03 yesterday. Many hours of frustration. I can take a picture of my brackets, which are attached to the engine mount bolt, but not attached to the lower tank bushings as yet. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send a pic.

I would suggest that you contact Hodakaguy (do a search in this thread) hopefully, he's in the process of making up some more of his HD lower mount which should do a much better job of protecting the radiators. I intend to replace the Acerbis mount ASAP!
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #13357
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 711
I run Hodakaguy's Tanker Brace and it is the only way to go.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #13358
BMKTW2
Renegade

Oddometer: 40
Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #13359
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
I run Hodakaguy's Tanker Brace and it is the only way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertriding View Post
Alright, so here is a comparison of the steel subframe (with removable pannier attachments) from RTE vs the stock aluminum subframe, if anyone is interested.
My first impression of the steel subframe is how strong (and heavy) it feels and looks. When I pulled the stock one off, it felt like it only weighed 1 pound in comparison.

I've done many of K on that subframe, and no issues.

I believe I weighed my stock subframe at just under 3 lbs, and this one at 13lbs. It adds 10lbs of high up weight, and you do feel it riding. That being said, I've put 16,000km with 75lbs on the back. No issues, not even a loose bolt.

(I think he should pay me for how I plug his product... haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3rcr View Post
Hi Everyone:)
I've got a question for the masses for the Acerbis 25 liter tank. I got an 03 XRR used with this tank and the previous owner didn't mount the brackets correctly and now I've got to install rads on each side from the brackets, and lost 1 side of the brackets) and piercing a hole in the rads( both sides:(
Anyone have any pictures of ther tank mounts? Have they modified them or make your own? As it seems the brackets are Way too close to the rads for my liking.
Stock or modified mounts?
Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
Anyone upgrade there rads and have spare rads for some positive karma ?
Tks PB
I use the tanker brace as well. Good peice of kit, however I still had a bitch mounting it up, but now that it's seen 1000's of K things seem to line up better and it slips on pretty much hassle free now.

The brace is worth it. I dropped my bike a few times (at low speeds) with the above mentioned 75lbs of gear and full gas and it did protect my rads, etc.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #13360
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Bamf,

clearly you love this bike. Here's an idea, chuck it if you don't like it. Presuming you're in the US prepare yourself to undertake a strip coming winter, by ordering the gaskets you'll need as a minimum. Yours has seen some work during the years, and |I'd take the jug off to inspect as a minimum. C/S-shaft still fine? If not get a new one too, and, if you're going to open the cases I would renew every bearing in sight, but that's up to you. Go over every part accessible when opened up, and have it fixed is not to spec. Yeah, that will cost some, but you'll end up with a) piece of mind, and b) a good-as-new engine, ready for years to come.
'Wall' climbing? No wonder you see oil in the airbox, the vent's at the back of the cases. The scavenging pump's at the front somewhere, so obviously it can't cope when vertical. Same when wheelying for prolonged periods. What happens then is more oil will stay/be in the cases, and the frame/tank's level goes down obviously. All will return to normal when level again, but the vent probably will loose some oil into the airbox thus engine when upright. No biggie really
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #13361
BMKTW2
Renegade

Thumb

Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #13362
BMKTW2
Renegade

that was the last one.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #13363
krazykiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Rebuilt XR650R - how best to run it in?

I've just rebuilt my engine (long story) putting in new camshaft, exhaust and intake lifters and rings. What is the best way to run it in? Some say ride it gentle, some say hard! What's the accepted best method?
Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #13364
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykiwi View Post
I've just rebuilt my engine (long story) putting in new camshaft, exhaust and intake lifters and rings. What is the best way to run it in? Some say ride it gentle, some say hard! What's the accepted best method?
Internet advice is very usefuly usually, and sometimes wrong, so if it's info that's in the manual, do what the manual says. And this I believe would be in both the owner's manual and the service manual.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #13365
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Bamf,

clearly you love this bike. Here's an idea, chuck it if you don't like it. Presuming you're in the US prepare yourself to undertake a strip coming winter, by ordering the gaskets you'll need as a minimum. Yours has seen some work during the years, and |I'd take the jug off to inspect as a minimum. C/S-shaft still fine? If not get a new one too, and, if you're going to open the cases I would renew every bearing in sight, but that's up to you. Go over every part accessible when opened up, and have it fixed is not to spec. Yeah, that will cost some, but you'll end up with a) piece of mind, and b) a good-as-new engine, ready for years to come.
'Wall' climbing? No wonder you see oil in the airbox, the vent's at the back of the cases. The scavenging pump's at the front somewhere, so obviously it can't cope when vertical. Same when wheelying for prolonged periods. What happens then is more oil will stay/be in the cases, and the frame/tank's level goes down obviously. All will return to normal when level again, but the vent probably will loose some oil into the airbox thus engine when upright. No biggie really
Good idea ordering the gaskets sooner rather than later. CS is perfect. I forgot to grease the new CS sprocket when I put it on, so I took it off a few weeks ago and the splines were as good as new, no lie! I was really happy to see that. Like I've mentioned before, I want to do the cam chain for sure. Even if it's good they're relatively cheap and will add more years vs the existing one. Peace of mind.

So I guess that's where the oil came from! Well that's good to know. Phew.

Thanks for your help, appreciate the responses. Cheers!

PS what colors are the OEM gaskets if they had just one? I can see on mine poking out kind of. The top one is black, and the bottom one is green, if I recall correctly.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote