ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #1351
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen
 
Not for Highway Use's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Canowindra, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabenho
Should have it back together this weekend. Dirt and sumo setups.

Sweet frame. Can't wait to see it back together.
__________________
DL650, DRZ400,CRF250X, PW80

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #1352
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen
 
Not for Highway Use's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Canowindra, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkaboy
Omg that bike looks like its a brand new bike! Nice bike
Thanks guys. Less than 9000ks on the clock

Picked it up for AU$4000 (US$3250)
__________________
DL650, DRZ400,CRF250X, PW80

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #1353
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabenho
Should have it back together this weekend. Dirt and sumo setups.

Crabenho, nice work, I really like the P/C frame, I was thinking of doing the same thing, can't beat powder coating for durability. Who makes those frame guards and do you know if they are still available?

Keep us posted on the progress.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #1354
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
modette, Are you sure the person uncorking it didn't cut it all the way through the insert in the silencer? It shouldn't be that loud when the stock pipe is uncorked, the silencer on my XRR was uncorked (using the hole saw method) and it's actually very quiet, much more so than the two guys I ride with who are running aftermarket silencers. Another XRR that I've rode with was similar soundwise. When uncorking, there's a point where you're supposed to stop cutting to retain the pipe's spark arrestor function.

I'd opt for the aftermarket pipe to get the xtra HP though.
Seeing as I bought it used I have no idea what method was done (i was told they had the dealership do it when they bought it), I guess I could go look and take some pictures...maybe on a slow day I will do that. The brother in-laws too was un-corked and it was also too loud...he also bought a Leo Vince.
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #1355
Crabenho
NOOBish
 
Crabenho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Northern Colorado
Oddometer: 602
Thanks Guys. This bike has easily reached the equivalent of a nasty crack addiction (I'm actually starting to sweat as I talk about it ). The frame and swing arm are matte black; the triple clamps and engine bits are a 40% gloss. The frame guards are Works Connection, I don't think they make them anymore. I bought these earlier in the year and had a real hard time finding someone that still had them in stock. I'll definitely keep you posted on the progress. My buddy and I are actually building 2 XRR's at the same time for a trip out to the Dragon in Sept. We'll do a combo build / ride report. We should have mine done on Sat and start his build on Sun. Here's what the bikes looked like a few weeks ago.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
Crabenho, nice work, I really like the P/C frame, I was thinking of doing the same thing, can't beat powder coating for durability. Who makes those frame guards and do you know if they are still available?

Keep us posted on the progress.
Crabenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #1356
Crabenho
NOOBish
 
Crabenho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Northern Colorado
Oddometer: 602
Thanks Freak. If you decide to go the P/C route, I have a few lessons learned that I'd be happy to share that will make your build go a bit easier. I'll include them in the build report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
Crabenho, nice work, I really like the P/C frame, I was thinking of doing the same thing, can't beat powder coating for durability. Who makes those frame guards and do you know if they are still available?

Keep us posted on the progress.
Crabenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #1357
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabenho
Thanks Guys. This bike has easily reached the equivalent of a nasty crack addiction (I'm actually starting to sweat as I talk about it ). The frame and swing arm are matte black; the triple clamps and engine bits are a 40% gloss. The frame guards are Works Connection, I don't think they make them anymore. I bought these earlier in the year and had a real hard time finding someone that still had them in stock. I'll definitely keep you posted on the progress. My buddy and I are actually building 2 XRR's at the same time for a trip out to the Dragon in Sept. We'll do a combo build / ride report. We should have mine done on Sat and start his build on Sun. Here's what the bikes looked like a few weeks ago.
Few questions:
  • Can I see more of the FJ in the garage?
  • Not critisizing...just asking...How come you are powder coating? for looks or are you looking for a function?
  • How long have you had those SRC Fork Skins? I wish SRC was still around but since they closed I can't find hide nor hair of their parts...
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #1358
Crabenho
NOOBish
 
Crabenho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Northern Colorado
Oddometer: 602
The FJ is a 1970 with a Chevy 350 motor, 4 spd tranny conversion and is nearly rust free. I've probably owned it for better than 16 years. Once upon a time it was my daily driver, now its waiting for a well deserved restoration. I'll see if I can dig up some old pics from when I was driving it regularly as now it is just a motorcycle parts rack.
I'm not ashamed to admit the powder coating was strictly for style and to be different. Really no function at all. I was going to tear the bike down to nothing for a rebuild so it was just a good time to freshen it up for fun.
I bought the SRC fork skins and fork brace shortly before they went out of business. I wish i had bought a couple pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
Few questions:
  • Can I see more of the FJ in the garage?
  • Not critisizing...just asking...How come you are powder coating? for looks or are you looking for a function?
  • How long have you had those SRC Fork Skins? I wish SRC was still around but since they closed I can't find hide nor hair of their parts...
Crabenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #1359
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabenho
The FJ is a 1970 with a Chevy 350 motor, 4 spd tranny conversion and is nearly rust free. I've probably owned it for better than 16 years. Once upon a time it was my daily driver, now its waiting for a well deserved restoration. I'll see if I can dig up some old pics from when I was driving it regularly as now it is just a motorcycle parts rack.
I'm not ashamed to admit the powder coating was strictly for style and to be different. Really no function at all. I was going to tear the bike down to nothing for a rebuild so it was just a good time to freshen it up for fun.
I bought the SRC fork skins and fork brace shortly before they went out of business. I wish i had bought a couple pair.
Thats great! My first truck was a '75 FJ40 which by brother and I put a stroked 350 (actually stroked to 383) we used the original manual transmission but it was a great fun truck for a couple of boys to learn to wrench on!

That frame looks great Just curious cause my motor is out of mine and wouldn't take much to get it down to the frame and didn't know if i would miss out of some great function cause I hope to not have to remove my motor again for a LONG time. show us pics after its all back together!
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #1360
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Death Dealer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: SE Saskatchewan
Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabenho
Should have it back together this weekend. Dirt and sumo setups.


And I thought my XRR had some high bars......... what are those?
__________________
2010 GasGas 300 EC Nambotin Replica
2006 XR 650R Supermoto
2006 CFL
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #1361
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
Few questions:
  • Not critisizing...just asking...How come you are powder coating? for looks or are you looking for a function?
I like the idea of the durable finish, just riding the XRR off road creates scratches, not that a DB shouldn't have them but powdercoating would sure slow the process down.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #1362
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Dealer
And I thought my XRR had some high bars......... what are those?
Ape Hangers!!!!
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #1363
Crabenho
NOOBish
 
Crabenho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Northern Colorado
Oddometer: 602
They are ProTaper Raptor (ATV) bars, 140 sweep by 90ish height. I really like the riding position when standing up off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Dealer
And I thought my XRR had some high bars......... what are those?
Crabenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #1364
Dahlin
Need more time...
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Rofors, Sweden
Oddometer: 166
Suspension

Has anyone had the suspension rebuild on the XR650R?

I am a heavy person, 110kg, so I need to do something with the bike.
Should I have the stock suspension rebuilt or should I swap something out.

All you other full grown persons with big tanks and travel gear on the bikes, what have you done to your suspension.
__________________
2003 Honda CB1300
2009 Yamaha XT660Z
2009 Husaberg FE570
2012 Husaberg FE390
Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #1365
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful
 
Hosebag's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NCR
Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabenho
They are ProTaper Raptor (ATV) bars, 140 sweep by 90ish height. I really like the riding position when standing up off road.
They look interesting. I'd like a taller bar when I'm on the pegs.

Are they 7/8 or fatty's?

Where did you buy them?

Thanks
Hosebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014