Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #14701
Desertskyy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Regarding the carb screws

M4 x 16 with a .70mm pitch will work with a washer

This is what I have switched over to on my ride. I would go with the allen machine screw type and carry a small allen wrench

I have had to take my carb apart in the field a couple of times because of a clogged float needle (bad IMS gas cap that was flaking off some of the rubber seal) The allen type works best as you can rotate the carb a little and use the allen wrench if you need to take off the float bowl without removing the tank etc.

Good luck
Desertskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #14702
b45her
MotoJunkie

Oddometer: 27
Carb won't get fuel!

Hi forgive me if this is a stupid noob question, but I have just changed the jets in my standard carb from a 172 to 180 and 65s to 68s. I tried to start it up today and it seems the carb is not filling up with fuel, the bowl is bone dry?? Have I done something stupid when putting it back together like stuck the floats up etc, is that possible??

Thanks
b45her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #14703
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by b45her View Post
Hi forgive me if this is a stupid noob question, but I have just changed the jets in my standard carb from a 172 to 180 and 65s to 68s. I tried to start it up today and it seems the carb is not filling up with fuel, the bowl is bone dry?? Have I done something stupid when putting it back together like stuck the floats up etc, is that possible??

Thanks

Did you make sure to turn the petcock on? The only other thing is the float needle. Try tapping on the side of the bowl with the handle of a screw driver or hammer, LIGHTLY! that will jar the needle loose if it is stuck. Or the float arm is bent which is not allowing the float to go low enough for the needle to open.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #14704
b45her
MotoJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
Did you make sure to turn the petcock on? The only other thing is the float needle. Try tapping on the side of the bowl with the handle of a screw driver or hammer, LIGHTLY! that will jar the needle loose if it is stuck. Or the float arm is bent which is not allowing the float to go low enough for the needle to open.
Lol yes I turned the petcock on.. Ok thanks will have a go tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #14705
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Check the PetCock

Quote:
it seems the carb is not filling up with fuel, the bowl is bone dry??
Had a similar problem with a bike that had been sitting for 10 years (new bike with 56 miles). Removed the petcock and the thing was clogged with gas that'd turned to black tar heroin. Ended-up having to replace the petcock. Simply remove the fuel line from the carb and turn the petcock to On or Reserve and see what's coming out.

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #14706
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Lol yes I turned the petcock on.. Ok thanks will have a go tomorrow.

Was the bike running before you re-jetted it?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #14707
b45her
MotoJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Had a similar problem with a bike that had been sitting for 10 years (new bike with 56 miles). Removed the petcock and the thing was clogged with gas that'd turned to black tar heroin. Ended-up having to replace the petcock. Simply remove the fuel line from the carb and turn the petcock to On or Reserve and see what's coming out.

RZ Rob

Thanks for the tip, I checked that too and fuel came pissing out so ruled it out.. Only other thing I can think is that i put it in the ultrasonic cleaner at work so maybe it has blocked something, doubt it as the thing is supposed to clean carbs not block them..
Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #14708
b45her
MotoJunkie

Quote:
Was the bike running before you re-jetted it?
Yes running as normal, I had it apart changing the rads so thought I would check the jetting as I havent had it long..

Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #14709
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Yes running as normal, I had it apart changing the rads so thought I would check the jetting as I havent had it long..

How did those radiators fit for you? Are those the cheap chinese ones off ebay? I bought a set of those and they had to be modified to fit as the lower hose to the water pump was too short and didnt point the right direction.

You float has to be stuck then. That is the only other thing to stop the fuel flow
Old 09-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #14710
b45her
MotoJunkie

Quote:
How did those radiators fit for you? Are those the cheap chinese ones off ebay? I bought a set of those and they had to be modified to fit as the lower hose to the water pump was too short and didnt point the right direction.

You float has to be stuck then. That is the only other thing to stop the fuel flow
I will rip it off again tomorrow and have another look cheers for the help..

Yes they are the cheap Chinese ones from ebay, Winner Racing.. 79 delivered. They needed a little modding to fit but only 10 mins with a file and they were on. Hoses all line up and clear exhaust etc.. Havent tested them because I couldnt get her running

Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #14711
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 298
[/QUOTE]

What brand header pipe is that? It looks huge. Thanks
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #14712
RalphyDo
Banned

I had that same problem with mine. The mounting holes on mine where alittle closer than yours but still off. I had to add about 1/2" to the lower fitting and turn it about 15* towards the engine as it was hitting the exhaust.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #14713
b45her
MotoJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
What brand header pipe is that? It looks huge. Thanks[/QUOTE]

It's a full Akrapovic system, just fitted it hence the re-jet lol
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #14714
b45her
MotoJunkie

Quote:
I had that same problem with mine. The mounting holes on mine where alittle closer than yours but still off. I had to add about 1/2" to the lower fitting and turn it about 15* towards the engine as it was hitting the exhaust.

I had some interferance but was able to loosen the headers and raise them away from the pipe.. How are they otherwise? Performance etc? Cant see them lasting like the stock rads but mine had a big hole in them..
Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #14715
b45her
MotoJunkie