ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #1471
chip
Follow Me
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 1,763
I did that exact procedure this morning. It started right up. I almost went with a 450x just because of the e-start. I'm so glad I didn't.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #1472
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transrider5587
Peten95 what troubles did you have with the BD tail light????? I have the LED set up and have ran it for a few years..zero issues. IMHO the BD set up is top quality. Expensive as hell...but worth the money.
Well I've cooled off a bit since yesterday, since my fix held up through a rough after work ride in some gnarly single track last night. My bike has a non-LED tail light. It was actually installed by BD in CA in 2002? for the previous owner. My trouble started when I did the classic stop off road put the foot down with nothing below your foot, but just a gentle tip over. It was enough to pop the tail light socket out of it's plastic clip holder and shatter the bulb, which eventually blew the fuse causing the black out.

I first found the fuse, replaced it, then discovered the still non-functional tail light. After removing the lens, I found the socket popped out of it's much too weak clip type holder and remains of the bulb. It also had a wire sheared off the socket, most likely due to the insufficient clearance for the back of the socket inside the lens, which is pushed hard against the wire connections. Nice!?! I also find they use an odd ball Euro bulb instead of something you can get at any auto parts place?!?

Luckily, I was able to get a good old 1157 tail light bulb to work with a little re-engineering. I also was able to re-connect the wire to the socket using a large butt connector. And finally I used my favorite adhesive, GOOP, to make sure the socket wouldn't pop out of it's clip the next time I hit a bump on the trail. We'll see how long it lasts.
__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #1473
BRPRider22
Big Red Pig-FoxHondaRider
 
BRPRider22's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: West Chester, 45069, Southwestern Ohio
Oddometer: 27
Chain Slider

Does Anyone know where I can pick up a chain slider for under $30 or does anyone on here have one they would like to give up. I need it for my XR650R. Part Number is: SLIDER, CHAIN (52170-MBN-670)- Thanks
__________________
2001 Honda XR650R Dual-Sport BRP(Big Red Pig)
BRPRider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #1474
stinkfinger
Chickenfat dirtbiker
 
stinkfinger's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North Mississippi
Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95
Well I've cooled off a bit since yesterday, since my fix held up through a rough after work ride in some gnarly single track last night. My bike has a non-LED tail light. It was actually installed by BD in CA in 2002? for the previous owner. My trouble started when I did the classic stop off road put the foot down with nothing below your foot, but just a gentle tip over. It was enough to pop the tail light socket out of it's plastic clip holder and shatter the bulb, which eventually blew the fuse causing the black out.

I first found the fuse, replaced it, then discovered the still non-functional tail light. After removing the lens, I found the socket popped out of it's much too weak clip type holder and remains of the bulb. It also had a wire sheared off the socket, most likely due to the insufficient clearance for the back of the socket inside the lens, which is pushed hard against the wire connections. Nice!?! I also find they use an odd ball Euro bulb instead of something you can get at any auto parts place?!?

Luckily, I was able to get a good old 1157 tail light bulb to work with a little re-engineering. I also was able to re-connect the wire to the socket using a large butt connector. And finally I used my favorite adhesive, GOOP, to make sure the socket wouldn't pop out of it's clip the next time I hit a bump on the trail. We'll see how long it lasts.



I originally had the BD standard bulb taillight setup, and when I tried to
order a bulb from BD,the tech said he wouldnt sell me 1.
When asked why not,
he said "its just gonna burn up again anyway,they(filament bulbs)
cant take the vibration" Uhhh, thanks,i think
I ordered the LED replacement and it been workin perfect
for 3 years.

Tony
stinkfinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #1475
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPRider22
Does Anyone know where I can pick up a chain slider for under $30 or does anyone on here have one they would like to give up. I need it for my XR650R. Part Number is: SLIDER, CHAIN (52170-MBN-670)- Thanks
Try these people I ran across them earlier today, they claim 40% off Honda Parts...not sure what if any the conditions are.

http://www.hondapartsnation.com
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #1476
BRPRider22
Big Red Pig-FoxHondaRider
 
BRPRider22's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: West Chester, 45069, Southwestern Ohio
Oddometer: 27
Rear Brake

Today as I was leaving church, I noticed I had no pressure to my rear brake pedal as it went all the way down. So I ended up using engine braking and front brakes to get home. When I got home I looked through my Service book and at online pics of the rear brake tubes. Then went out to my bike and noticed that brake fluid would come out of the top of the screw where this little red piece with two wires come out of it when I press the pedal. Now I notice that in the Diagram photos in my book and online, there is not any opening on top of the screw or any wires coming out of it, so does anyone else have something just sitting at the top of the screw (17)?
Not my bike but it also has the little red piece above the screw
__________________
2001 Honda XR650R Dual-Sport BRP(Big Red Pig)
BRPRider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #1477
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,497
The bolt with the wires coming out is part of the Baja Designs dual sport conversion kit. It replaces the stock banjo bolt and has a pressure sensor in it which actuates the brake light. You will have to get a replacement from Baja Designs. It is one of the ones on this page:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-SWITCH/SWITCHES
__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #1478
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPRider22
Today as I was leaving church, I noticed I had no pressure to my rear brake pedal as it went all the way down. So I ended up using engine braking and front brakes to get home. When I got home I looked through my Service book and at online pics of the rear brake tubes. Then went out to my bike and noticed that brake fluid would come out of the top of the screw where this little red piece with two wires come out of it when I press the pedal. Now I notice that in the Diagram photos in my book and online, there is not any opening on top of the screw or any wires coming out of it, so does anyone else have something just sitting at the top of the screw (17)?
Not my bike but it also has the little red piece above the screw

The piece you have is part of the dual-sport kit- it replaces #17 with a pressure switch to operate the brake light. It appears that yours has failed and is causing the leak. Baja Designs has 'em-

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-SWITCH/SWITCHES
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #1479
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer
 
xr400r's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: riding usa
Oddometer: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPRider22
Does Anyone know where I can pick up a chain slider for under $30 or does anyone on here have one they would like to give up. I need it for my XR650R. Part Number is: SLIDER, CHAIN (52170-MBN-670)- Thanks
Try Servicehonda.com They have discounted honda parts. good service.

You in southern ohio? we should ride.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #1480
Crabenho
NOOBish
 
Crabenho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Northern Colorado
Oddometer: 604
+1 Service Honda has great prices and a handy web parts fiche ordering system. Just don't use them if you need anything fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r
Try Servicehonda.com They have discounted honda parts. good service.

You in southern ohio? we should ride.
Crabenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #1481
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPRider22
Today as I was leaving church, I noticed I had no pressure to my rear brake pedal as it went all the way down. So I ended up using engine braking and front brakes to get home. When I got home I looked through my Service book and at online pics of the rear brake tubes. Then went out to my bike and noticed that brake fluid would come out of the top of the screw where this little red piece with two wires come out of it when I press the pedal. Now I notice that in the Diagram photos in my book and online, there is not any opening on top of the screw or any wires coming out of it, so does anyone else have something just sitting at the top of the screw (17)?
Not my bike but it also has the little red piece above the screw
HEY,,,THATS MY BIKE!!!! Isnt this some sort of copyright infringement??
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #1482
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,570
Rear wheel bearings

Why does my XR eat rear wheel bearings? I doubt I get 1,000 miles out of a set. Cheap Chinese junk, or is something wrong with my hub?
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #1483
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
Why does my XR eat rear wheel bearings? I doubt I get 1,000 miles out of a set. Cheap Chinese junk, or is something wrong with my hub?
Are you washing it with a pressure washer or car wash? If you're not carefull it'll blow water right past the seals and ruin the brgs.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #1484
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
Are you washing it with a pressure washer or car wash? If you're not carefull it'll blow water right past the seals and ruin the brgs.
I rarely wash it at all. I do ride it through axle deep mud and water with some frequency, but I used to do the same with my DRZ and it didn't eat bearings the way this thing does.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #1485
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer
 
B DIRT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: your moms house startn a small fire in her panties
Oddometer: 1,376
are you putting factory honda parts in or using some aftermarket junk like me and blew right threw one set and Im the one always preaching about using factory parts
__________________
2002 XR650R (plated), 2000 XR650R (trophy), 1990 Transalp, 2002 CR125R (woods weapon), 1977 CT90, 2009 Big Red
B DIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014