Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #14866
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphydo View Post
i have thought about doing that too. Any pics of the setup?
+1
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #14867
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
has anyone had any experience with fitting oversize valves to their xr?
Yup, I put the head in a box, sent it to xro, and it came back with bigger valves. I think it was +2 on both sides. Its hard to say how much difference it makes, but it does something.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #14868
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Yup, I put the head in a box, sent it to xro, and it came back with bigger valves. I think it was +2 on both sides. Its hard to say how much difference it makes, but it does something.
did you combine the bigger valves with any other mods? cam, high comp
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #14869
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
I have thought about doing that too. Any pics of the setup?
I don't have any pictures of it yet but I'll take a couple and post them next week. I switched the radiator shrouds over to a dzus fastener(which was quite easy) and added a dzus on windshield to my 8" racelight too. I'm a fan of quarter turn fasteners.

I've got a harley carb(hs40) and a master cylinder off a trx450 quad to add on too. That means I have parts off three suzukis, three different honda models, bmw, harley and some circle track parts on my xr.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #14870
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
I'd like to see how you did the shrouds too! Sounds interesting.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #14871
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
How interchangeable are the XR650R front wheel with the XR400R front? Is it a straight swap? Same axle size and brake rotor?
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #14872
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
did you combine the bigger valves with any other mods? cam, high comp
Yeh, just 102mm 11:1, hrc valve train, falicon rod, exhust, carb, ported and polished.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #14873
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,345
mmm nice, bet it goes well aye
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #14874
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Getting Ready for My First Ride

Got this '03 XR650 a couple months ago but hope to finally take it out for the first time today. It was essentially a new bike (56 miles) but had been sitting in the corner of someone's garage for the last 10 years.

First thing I did was "uncork" it and clean the crap out of the carb and petcock. Unfortunately there was no saving the petcock, but my local dealer had one on the shelf.

The bigger intake and open exhaust (along with jetting and airbox changes) and removing the useless smog pump, I'm sure make a difference, but I never rode it [or even heard it run] the other way.

Next was the dual sport kit. Inside this box [from ProCycle] is my ticket to a new ride - Some Assembly Required.

My approach was to start with the easy stuff first. I liked these mirrors. You just replace the clamp on the back of the factory perches and you get a perfect dual sport mirror without sacrificing limited bar space.

Next was the taillight and license plate holder. Measure twice (OK 20 times) and drill & cut once. I got it right where I wanted it, but needed to cut the center out to get it to sit flat.

Even though weight is an issue, I had some thin aluminum plate and fashioned this backing for the "piece de resistance" of the bike. I chose to keep the stock tail light too, but wired it as an extra brake light.

While I was at it, I made this to shield the right turn signal from the exhaust.

Test fitting the headlight. I like this light a lot more than the XRL style that comes with the Baja Designs kit. Give's the bike a CRF-X look - sort of.

I decided to make this Battery Tray. I opted for a small AGM battery mounted basically under the carb, behind the cylinder. I've used the Baja Designs battery pack before on another conversion, and basically found it useless. We'll see how this works and adjust if necessary.

After completing the basics of the kit, I moved on to the TrailTech Vapor. Nice product. I picked up the aluminum guard from XR's Only. You can see the turn signal brackets I had to make. I also had to make the key switch mount.

Fitting what I could under the seat was a challenge, but do-able. Note the turn signal flasher (had to make an L bracket) and the regulator/rectifier sticking out the right side. I chose to sacrifice precious space for + & - power isolation poles. I shaped a platform to keep it securely in place. This gave me a home to route all the various things that needed power and grounding.

The finished product. Note the battery box (It's really hardly noticeable). I may try to make some type of machined vented grill to hide it completely. You can also barely see the temperature sender (blue thing under tank), but can't really see the speedo pick-up for the Vapor. I took my time to make the wiring as tidy as possible. I'm using the Ricky Stator, but just one leg on the DC circuit. I left the other circuit open, but may opt for running the headlight from it.

I hope to take it for my first ride today. Hopefully it won't need too much re-working.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #14875
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Nice work,
but don't forget to fix the R footpeg.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #14876
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 204
Very nice Rob, Those mirror mounts are great, how do they hold up at above freeway speeds? That spacer for the turn signal looks trick, but after 4 years mine is squished against the Yoshimura and has not melted. - license plate I just screwed it to the 2 bolts you have on the end of the rear fender that are holding your new brake light. Believe me, that little aluminum plate will be bouncing around off road and I have never had an issue with the po po or even border patrol about its visibility. Also make sure the seat does not pinch any hoses when you have it installed. On the 2nd to last photo, a hose looks squished on top, just outside the frame.

Since you seem to work with aluminum very well, how about a rack on the rear fender that is strong?
Could you adda video or audio clip of your "brand New" XR650R?
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #14877
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Great news.
I've been following your project from day one.
May take a couple rides for the rings to set in correctly.
Have fun
woodsxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #14878
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Last minute tweaks

Thanks for the comments folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Nice work,
but don't forget to fix the R footpeg.
Do tell? It may be slightly folded up in the picture, but doesn't seem to have any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
Very nice Rob, Those mirror mounts are great, how do they hold up at above freeway speeds? That spacer for the turn signal looks trick, but after 4 years mine is squished against the Yoshimura and has not melted. - license plate I just screwed it to the 2 bolts you have on the end of the rear fender that are holding your new brake light. Believe me, that little aluminum plate will be bouncing around off road and I have never had an issue with the po po or even border patrol about its visibility. Also make sure the seat does not pinch any hoses when you have it installed. On the 2nd to last photo, a hose looks squished on top, just outside the frame.

Since you seem to work with aluminum very well, how about a rack on the rear fender that is strong?
Could you adda video or audio clip of your "brand New" XR650R?
I'll let you know about the mirrors today, however they have adjustable tension (metal ball)so they should be fine.
I hope the heat shield works. It should deflect the heat and is barely noticeable.
I wanted the factory look for the plate, but I can imagine you're right. That's next after it fails.
That hose is a vent hose and it fits - barely.
Oh, and I can't really work with aluminum. I just have scraps, a file, grinder and drill - and a buddy that welds.
I'll try to video today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Great news.
I've been following your project from day one.
May take a couple rides for the rings to set in correctly.
Have fun
Ah good point. I'll flog it gently if I make it to the dirt.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #14879
smoothride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I had those mirrors on my bike and couldn't see anything going down the road because they vibrated so bad. But it could be just my bike thow. Your bike looks great.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #14880
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post

Do tell? It may be slightly folded up in the picture, but doesn't seem to have any issues.

The right foot peg bolts stretch and break. You need to swap them out for stronger ones OR this

I drilled mine out and installed some old Toyota head bolts that I had laying around. No welding, no bending, no nonsense.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote