Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #14866
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
did you combine the bigger valves with any other mods? cam, high comp
Yeh, just 102mm 11:1, hrc valve train, falicon rod, exhust, carb, ported and polished.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #14867
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,533
mmm nice, bet it goes well aye
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #14868
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Getting Ready for My First Ride

Got this '03 XR650 a couple months ago but hope to finally take it out for the first time today. It was essentially a new bike (56 miles) but had been sitting in the corner of someone's garage for the last 10 years.

First thing I did was "uncork" it and clean the crap out of the carb and petcock. Unfortunately there was no saving the petcock, but my local dealer had one on the shelf.

The bigger intake and open exhaust (along with jetting and airbox changes) and removing the useless smog pump, I'm sure make a difference, but I never rode it [or even heard it run] the other way.

Next was the dual sport kit. Inside this box [from ProCycle] is my ticket to a new ride - Some Assembly Required.

My approach was to start with the easy stuff first. I liked these mirrors. You just replace the clamp on the back of the factory perches and you get a perfect dual sport mirror without sacrificing limited bar space.

Next was the taillight and license plate holder. Measure twice (OK 20 times) and drill & cut once. I got it right where I wanted it, but needed to cut the center out to get it to sit flat.

Even though weight is an issue, I had some thin aluminum plate and fashioned this backing for the "piece de resistance" of the bike. I chose to keep the stock tail light too, but wired it as an extra brake light.

While I was at it, I made this to shield the right turn signal from the exhaust.

Test fitting the headlight. I like this light a lot more than the XRL style that comes with the Baja Designs kit. Give's the bike a CRF-X look - sort of.

I decided to make this Battery Tray. I opted for a small AGM battery mounted basically under the carb, behind the cylinder. I've used the Baja Designs battery pack before on another conversion, and basically found it useless. We'll see how this works and adjust if necessary.

After completing the basics of the kit, I moved on to the TrailTech Vapor. Nice product. I picked up the aluminum guard from XR's Only. You can see the turn signal brackets I had to make. I also had to make the key switch mount.

Fitting what I could under the seat was a challenge, but do-able. Note the turn signal flasher (had to make an L bracket) and the regulator/rectifier sticking out the right side. I chose to sacrifice precious space for + & - power isolation poles. I shaped a platform to keep it securely in place. This gave me a home to route all the various things that needed power and grounding.

The finished product. Note the battery box (It's really hardly noticeable). I may try to make some type of machined vented grill to hide it completely. You can also barely see the temperature sender (blue thing under tank), but can't really see the speedo pick-up for the Vapor. I took my time to make the wiring as tidy as possible. I'm using the Ricky Stator, but just one leg on the DC circuit. I left the other circuit open, but may opt for running the headlight from it.

I hope to take it for my first ride today. Hopefully it won't need too much re-working.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #14869
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Nice work,
but don't forget to fix the R footpeg.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #14870
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 205
Very nice Rob, Those mirror mounts are great, how do they hold up at above freeway speeds? That spacer for the turn signal looks trick, but after 4 years mine is squished against the Yoshimura and has not melted. - license plate I just screwed it to the 2 bolts you have on the end of the rear fender that are holding your new brake light. Believe me, that little aluminum plate will be bouncing around off road and I have never had an issue with the po po or even border patrol about its visibility. Also make sure the seat does not pinch any hoses when you have it installed. On the 2nd to last photo, a hose looks squished on top, just outside the frame.

Since you seem to work with aluminum very well, how about a rack on the rear fender that is strong?
Could you adda video or audio clip of your "brand New" XR650R?
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #14871
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Great news.
I've been following your project from day one.
May take a couple rides for the rings to set in correctly.
Have fun
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #14872
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Last minute tweaks

Thanks for the comments folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Nice work,
but don't forget to fix the R footpeg.
Do tell? It may be slightly folded up in the picture, but doesn't seem to have any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
Very nice Rob, Those mirror mounts are great, how do they hold up at above freeway speeds? That spacer for the turn signal looks trick, but after 4 years mine is squished against the Yoshimura and has not melted. - license plate I just screwed it to the 2 bolts you have on the end of the rear fender that are holding your new brake light. Believe me, that little aluminum plate will be bouncing around off road and I have never had an issue with the po po or even border patrol about its visibility. Also make sure the seat does not pinch any hoses when you have it installed. On the 2nd to last photo, a hose looks squished on top, just outside the frame.

Since you seem to work with aluminum very well, how about a rack on the rear fender that is strong?
Could you adda video or audio clip of your "brand New" XR650R?
I'll let you know about the mirrors today, however they have adjustable tension (metal ball)so they should be fine.
I hope the heat shield works. It should deflect the heat and is barely noticeable.
I wanted the factory look for the plate, but I can imagine you're right. That's next after it fails.
That hose is a vent hose and it fits - barely.
Oh, and I can't really work with aluminum. I just have scraps, a file, grinder and drill - and a buddy that welds.
I'll try to video today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Great news.
I've been following your project from day one.
May take a couple rides for the rings to set in correctly.
Have fun
Ah good point. I'll flog it gently if I make it to the dirt.

RZ Rob
Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #14873
smoothride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I had those mirrors on my bike and couldn't see anything going down the road because they vibrated so bad. But it could be just my bike thow. Your bike looks great.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #14874
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post

Do tell? It may be slightly folded up in the picture, but doesn't seem to have any issues.

The right foot peg bolts stretch and break. You need to swap them out for stronger ones OR this

I drilled mine out and installed some old Toyota head bolts that I had laying around. No welding, no bending, no nonsense.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #14875
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Got this '03 XR650 a couple months ago but hope to finally take it out for the first time today. It was essentially a new bike (56 miles) but had been sitting in the corner of someone's garage for the last 10 years.

RZ Rob
Dude, your bike is awesome. I love it. Had to say that.

I have 2 questions for the experts here, my pig is getting close to where I want it but little stuff is holding me up.

1. Rear light/brake light/turn signals. At this point I don't care how good they look, or if they are even visible on the road. I want them to work. What's the fastest, cheapest, and 'close enough to legal'? Over the summer I managed to destroy my acerbis plate mount, I want to just bolt the plate to the fender and get it good enough that I don't get thrown in jail. No inspection here, as long as I make an attempt they don't seem to care. Money is no object at this point, I'm sick of messing with it.

2. I had a few dollars burning a hole in my paypal account and I bought a FMF slip-on from e-bay last month. Seems to work good so far, but what's a good heat shield to keep the side panels from melting when I throw the Giant Loop on? Or a home-brew solution? No trips planned until spring at least, so I have all winter to deal with this one.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #14876
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
1. Rear light/brake light/turn signals. At this point I don't care how good they look, or if they are even visible on the road. I want them to work. What's the fastest, cheapest, and 'close enough to legal'? Over the summer I managed to destroy my acerbis plate mount, I want to just bolt the plate to the fender and get it good enough that I don't get thrown in jail. No inspection here, as long as I make an attempt they don't seem to care. Money is no object at this point, I'm sick of messing with it.
Jules I am not sure about the laws where you are but for a cheap and reliable rear fender light solution that incorporates a brake light and is a bolt on item, I would not look past this:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/36/24/64.shtml

Here is write up I did on another page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
For anyone who is interested in doing the same, here are some photos of the LED insert for the rear fender light that I fitted today. It came from Wheeling Cycle Supply in the States and literally is a bolt on item needing no drilling, just some connections to the existing wiring.

photo 1

photo 2

It is seriously bright too!
These guys also do a range of LED indicators. You can mount indicators on a small flat sided part of the rear fender just before it meets each side cover. Mine have been there for a while and they are still good (just watch out you don't kick them when mounting the bike)
Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #14877
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Looks like my strator is too crap to keep the battery charged. It keeps killing that lead acid battery I got from this thread. Is it normal for the headlight (baja designs) to be running off DC power?

The headlight turns on (when the battery is not flat) when the bike is off with the headlight switch on. So what is the best option? Rewind myself? Buy one from Baja Designs/Ricky? From what it looks like, I have the stock strator.

I also saw somebody mention a more efficient blinker, something about the BD one being thermal or something. One thing is when my battery dies, the blinkers stop working...
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #14878
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 169
TM40 Review

I have an old 2000 XR650r that is UN plunged, opened up air box, 11 to 1 ross light weight piston, cleaned up cylinder head,Big gun head pipe to a white brothers E silencer, and a stock cam.

I decided to get a TM40 carburetor for some extra performance and some possible economy.

I got THE XR650R Kit recently from jetsrus. It took awhile to get (3 weeks). It came closely jetted, I only replaced the idle jet 22.5 to a 25 (included in the kit)
I am at sea level so I need more fuel at idle

The hardest part of the instillation was rigging the new throttle cables (included in the kit) if you look at this picture above note where the cable ends go on the actuating cam. There are no instructions so I hooked them up wrong at first.

Once installed it started with not too much fuss.
one of the best feature of this carb is the ability to adjust the idle and idle mixture while seated on the motorcycle
Easy to make on the fly adjustments through different altitudes.

the brass screw next to the sudco sticker is the idlle mixture, and the white plastic screw is the idle.

the first test drive was good except for a hesitation when rolling on the throtle from a heavy decell
I found the pump was coming in too early and the solution was to adjust pump actuator play so there is no pump for the first few degrees of throttle
an easy adjustment with the 3.3 gallon tank on

Above the screw is too loose it needs to be so the spring is tighter

It was easy to dial in and I am very happy with the results.
I get better acceleration from near all throttle settings and better top end as well
So far its been dificult to tell if I am getting better economy as I am liking the extra preformance a bit too much.
It is one of the best mods I have done. Idd recomend it if you got the money to burn
FlyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #14879
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Passed with flying colors

Took the new bike out today for its maiden voyage. Besides having just got it, and having never ridden it, I'd just completed the dual sport kit. It had 56 miles when I got it, and today I put 98 miles on it. It performed flawlessly. Really all I need to do is tighten the left mirror and go flog it more. Next time I'll have the GoPro.

RZ Rob

Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #14880
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Dude, your bike is awesome. I love it. Had to say that..
Thanks, I'm pretty jolly about it myself. Thankfully it starts a lot easier than I thought it would.

RZ Rob