User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2004, 07:14 PM   #1
clang OP
Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer: 2,785
Eh? Need help

I am going to pick up my new (to me) R100GSPD tomorrow after work, and I am going to trailer it home

I have never had my bikes on a trailer before, and I want to make sure I secure it properly. I have rented a motorcycle specific trailer from U-Haul, and I have 4 heavy duty ratcheting tie down straps. Where and how do I attach them? How tight do I make them? It doesn't seem right to cinch them down so tight that I am compressing the suspension fully or almost fully, but I don't want bumps in the road to produce slack in the straps from suspension compression either.

Any and all help is appreciated........
clang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
trailering

attach from the front handle bars ( both sides) and the rear both sides. You want to pull the bike toward the front of the trailer with the front wheel up against the fornt of the trailer.

Compress about 50% of the travel in front and less in back.

Start out lose and equally tighten around the bike.

Watch out for places where the tie downs will rub on stuff and either move the tie down, re-route it or pad the tie down as if travels accross the part of the bike it is touching.

The bike will bounce up and down as you drive and from side to side; so leave room on the sides of the bike.

Adn SMILE as you drive home...the fun is just beginning
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,687
here's a couple
of ideas for you

Courtesy of the MAD fellers.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,972
I would say compress most of the travel. DAMHIK Use at least 4 tie-downs. 5 or 6 is better. I like to run one through the front tire and strap it directly to the front rail. Make sure the straps aren't rubbing on the bike. Rubbing the paint off sucks. Remove bodywork if necessary. Tape the ends with duct tape so they can't fall off if they get loose. Stop and check them every few miles. I hate hauling bikes. I get a sore neck from checking the mirror and looking over my shoulder.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,587
Don't leave the sidestand down.

DAMHIK

Old 05-04-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
My .02

Clang:

First of all, you are welcome to borrow my 3-rail MC trailer. I live in COS> It is very easy to move any bike with this kind of trailer.

Second, use something called a Canyon Dancer. It is a $20 device which is made of nylon webbing and fits over the handlebars by fitting over the handgrips. It then allows you to fasten tie downs to the ends of this w/o damaging the bike. They can be had at almost any bike dealer. In fact, I can lend you one if you like. I have 2.

On a GS/PD with the OEM luggage racks I would suggest:

1. Canyon dancer over the bars with tie downs fastened to it. If no canyon dancer, then use soft ties on the handlebars and then use ties downs on these.

2. On the rear, fasten tie downs to luggage rack, or if you have more soft ties, fasten the soft ties to the rack and then tie downs to them.

And yes, if using a Uhaul or such put the sidestand and centerstand up. Compress > 50% and less than 100%. I think 75% is fine since it's not a long journey. Four tie downs is plenty.

I always try to remember to remove the key from the bike's ignition and bring it inside the car....

I hope this helps.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:42 PM   #7
irazu
WTF

Oddometer: 165
As has been allready mentioned. You definitly want to compress the front end.

I have seen a bike that was sinched down pretty good come loose when the trailer hit a bump and the forks compressed enough so that the tie-downs came loose (hook came off handle bars) and the bike fell over.

Enjoy the new ride
irazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:33 AM   #8
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,706
When it comes to tie down more is better.

I would pickup as may tie downs as you like.
Four might hold the bike just fine.
But four more will do it better.
I once hauled a bike 1200 miles. I used 16 tie downs.
Still one managed to break when I hit an unexpected bump in the road. No damage. But in your case. Brake one, left with three.

Just before you tie it down. Pitcher a spider web. Hold that thought for a bit. Then go to work and tie that bike down.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:34 AM   #9
TonyA
beta tester

Oddometer: 1,159
I use 4 for starters: 2 in front pulling down on the handle bars right next to the risers, pulling the bike forward into the chock, and two in back hooked to the pillion footpeg mounts. Everything pulls outward from the bike's center in X fashion. These really should be the ratchet type. Forget about the simple cam type unless you snug them with two people on the bike compressing the suspension. I have a difficult time getting the cam-style into a strong tension.

Then add redundant straps in case any of the first 4 break or come undone. You want independent connection points both on the bike and on the trailer if possible. Anything can break. These straps can be the non-ratchet kind if that's all you have left. If a main strap fails then it's backup will be in tension right away, good enough to let you stop and fix the problem.

Yeah it takes a while to do but then it frees my mind if I'm trailering through Owl Canyon's potholed dirt. Most trailers have little if any damping so the bike needs to be secure to the trailer for those times that the trailer goes temporarily airborne. We've got some deep storm water drainage channels crossing the intersections in town here and if I cross at an angle there can be a terrible waggling shake. If the bike's shaking it's working it's way loose.

"Master and Commander", Patrick O'Brian
IBA 31991

TonyA screwed with this post 05-05-2004 at 11:43 AM
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #10
clang OP
Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer: 2,785
Thanks for all the tips and info I really appreciate it. I'm off in about 45 minutes to go get the beast
clang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:40 PM   #11
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
This is not the voice of experiance since I prefer to ride, but I have tied mine down once and tied the front from the forks just above the fork brace over the finder. Wasn't compressing the suspension at all. Snerked it down good against the front tire and seemed pretty dang stable.

Is this not good????
Old 05-05-2004, 01:51 PM   #12
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
I use a brace between the top of the front tire and the bottom triple clamp to keep the suspension from compressing when I tie my DRZ down for towing (don't trailer or tow the GS). I've been told it's bad to compress the suspension fully for an extended period of time...but that could be Urban Legend.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #13
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
Not a big deal, use common sense.

Stop after a mile or two and double check everything.

The front two straps are the important ones, the rear just keeps it in line. Make sure the front two straps go forward not just to the side.

It helps if ya don't have a wheel chock to secure the front wheel so it can't move side to side.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #14
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,208
I just towed my GS from Denver to Durango, in addition to the other advice, I put a tight safety strap holding the front tire to the front railing of the trailer, "just in case". That way, worst case, it might tip over, but will not fall off the trailer.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #15
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
This is not the voice of experiance since I prefer to ride, but I have tied mine down once and tied the front from the forks just above the fork brace over the finder. Wasn't compressing the suspension at all. Snerked it down good against the front tire and seemed pretty dang stable.

Is this not good????
I shipped my bikes once. They used special wooden pallets and tied to the forks without compressing the suspension. It looked less stable to me, but it seemed to work fine and the straps were still tight when they delivered them. The pallet prevented the tires from moving side to side, so I don't know if I would try this with a flat trailer.