User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
1badHD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Fairbanks to Deadhorse

Hi, I'm wanting to ride to Alaska this yr and I was wanting to know how much time I should allow myself From Fairbanks to Deadhorse? I'm thinking a day up, get a room and ride back the next day. Realistically how many hrs will it take me each way? Thanks
1badHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 655
Read the ALASKA PRIMER in this forum written by Alcan Rider. Good info. You can do the road in one day. But it's a slog. Most folks stay a night in wiseman or Coldfoot. Riding time is totally dependent on conditions. I'd say 16 hours minimum under ideal conditions.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Talking My dalton hwy exxperiencee<3

2012, I rode from FB to Coldfoot. Left FB 9am and didn't get back to FB till 10pm. Rainy here and there and hours of waiting due to construction. My first real ride with street tire on dirt, slick dirt . This was last week of august.

2013 , FB to Prudhoe bay. Took the whole day.Depart 9-10am and arrive at the hotel 9pm ish. Weather was great !!! Not a single drop, there' was also less construction. We waited one time only. About 15 mins top. This was also done ending of August.

All in all, give yourself a whole day to ride the dalton . Weather , construction & rider's skill will effect much.

Have fun on the Dalton. I have no future plans riding that road anymore. :)

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,850
2-3 days, weather depending. I had great weather, made it to Galbreath Lake my first day, up to Prudhoe and back to Coldfoot the second, and back to Fairbanks on the third.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
2011 I did it in about 13 hours on a GSA. Crappy rainy weather the whole way and lots of stops for pictures and such. Was a very long day. On the way back I stopped in Wiseman, but of course the weather was good and wasn't such a challenge.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
1badHD OP
Adventurer

Thanks guy's for your input. Would the first wk of June be to early to ride the Dalton?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,850
Maybe. Maybe not. I had perfect weather on my ride in early June in 2012, but the days before and after were rain soaked. At least it didn't snow... on me anyway.

Read AlCan Rider's thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943656
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
1badHD OP
Adventurer

Wow, thanks for the link.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
In 2011 I road up from FB to Deadhorse in less than 12 hours. I did have a strong side wind and some snow after getting on the Slope. I was on a GSA, and thought it was a easy ride. I was planning on turning around and going back the same day. But the strong wind wore my a$$ out. Got a room, and relaxed. Got up the next morning and headed back. I did have rain the last 250 miles or so, and 14 hours later I was spending $25. at the car wash trying to get this stuff off.. I was loaded with all my gear..

God, I love that place... Plan to head back this year.... D2D, and Inuvic, and more... The trip is magical.

Smitty

2005 KTM 525 EXC...1999 YZ250
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badHD View Post
Hi, I'm wanting to ride to Alaska this yr and I was wanting to know how much time I should allow myself From Fairbanks to Deadhorse? I'm thinking a day up, get a room and ride back the next day. Realistically how many hrs will it take me each way? Thanks
About 12 hours each way, in good weather.
Expect, and be prepared for delay, repair, or bivouac if necessary.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
1badHD OP
Adventurer

I see you are from Missouri. How long did it take you to get to Fairbanks from Missouri? Did you change tires while you were on this trip? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
In 2011 I road up from FB to Deadhorse in less than 12 hours. I did have a strong side wind and some snow after getting on the Slope. I was on a GSA, and thought it was a easy ride. I was planning on turning around and going back the same day. But the strong wind wore my a$$ out. Got a room, and relaxed. Got up the next morning and headed back. I did have rain the last 250 miles or so, and 14 hours later I was spending $25. at the car wash trying to get this stuff off.. I was loaded with all my gear..

God, I love that place... Plan to head back this year.... D2D, and Inuvic, and more... The trip is magical.

Smitty

Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badHD View Post
I see you are from Missouri. How long did it take you to get to Fairbanks from Missouri? Did you change tires while you were on this trip? Thanks
I'm a big mile guy, and was in Fairbanks at the end of day four. IIRC about 3700 miles... I did change tires after returning from Deadhorse. Rear was cut up from the haul road. I did 10,000+ miles in 14 days, with two days playing around Fairbanks. My vacation is limited to two weeks. Would be happy to talk to you on the phone if you like.

I plan to go back myself in June. Still waiting on vacation picks at work.

Hope that helps, PM headed your way.
Smitty

smitty141 screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 07:26 PM
Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
AKTREADs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
smitty141-
the pic of the GSA is actually clean compared to most that run the 950+ mile round trip from Fbks to Deadhorse.
Continuous rain will completely cover cyl/jugs.
redish mud from above the Yukon!
AKTREADs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 AM   #14
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTREADs View Post
smitty141-
the pic of the GSA is actually clean compared to most that run the 950+ mile round trip from Fbks to Deadhorse.
Continuous rain will completely cover cyl/jugs.
redish mud from above the Yukon!

The road was a red/orange pudding... maybe a 1" deep slurry. The Top of the World road was a few days later. It was a mess, worse than the haul road. There was 2 tour buses stuck in the mud...

Good times...

Smitty
Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
Cateloca
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Trip to Deadhorse

I will be taking the same trip this summer and here is what I have planned for time. Two days to Deadhorse spending the first night in Coldfoot. Then spend an entire day in Deadhorse then two days back to Fairbanks. Five total days. Did the Artic Circle in 1995 in one day and it was too much for some of the riders, so we plan on a leisurely trip this time.
Cateloca is offline   Reply With Quote