ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
operose OP
Mama tried

Oddometer: 634
2015 ADK Rendezvous Ride/Camp

If any of you start thinking riding up here in "upper upstate NY" next year, plan for the weekend of June 19th-21st. If you weren't planning on it because you thought there was nowhere to ride here, you're still in the right place. We are going to get folks together for some camping and riding for the Summer Solstice! Camping, big fire, food, that kind of thing. Plenty of room for a 'quiet camp' in the field and a 'loudass party camp' in the woods if that is how it is going to go down. We usually have a small summer solstice party and this year we are going to kick it into full gear to get folks together to ride the tires off their bikes on the longest day. Mark your calendars.

Base camp location: Colton NY, 13625

I was going to come up with a clever name like "Longest Days Between ADK and Seaway" but then got lazy and wasn't sure people would 'get it'

There are some very good and very fun small bike and big bike loops that have been put together.

This area is not known by non residents for its abundance of --legal-- unpaved riding (most common resource in ADK park is gates, followed closely by padlocks) -- rest assured that enough time has been spent scouting legal riding spots that I could probably have completed some kind of graduate degree... Part of the plan is to show off the amazing riding opportunities that this area really does have. The other part of the plan is to get to hang out with good friends new and old!

As of now it is looking like two good most-of-a-day loops for the small bikes, will run one towards the Adirondack Park on Saturday and one towards the St. Lawrence River on Sunday. There is some private singletrack to run at the base camp property if your bike isn't broken enough after the loops and you promise not to sue me if you get hurt. Still need to do some work on 'big bike' routes but that should be a bit easier as it is not as necessary to route around some of those nasty paved roads to transit sections and some will overlap the other loops.

Saturday's 'small bike' loop has been cut down a bit to keep the pressure down, it will be hard with a group of varied skill to cover all of what I had planned and not be too tired to for some fireside drinks and bench racing. Firewood will be taken care of. Bring your bikes, yourselves, enough food to stay alive and enough of whatever it is that keeps you hydrated.

We do not really have room for "RV" type campers but a couple could be squeezed in somewhere if you are allergic to tents. There is also a state campground less than 10 miles away that caters to that sort of thing.

The closest "get togethers" like this are in VT, what's the deal with that? Are us NYers just not good people persons?????? Let's try to change that! We have a lot of good riding up here between the river and the mountains and I've got a spot we can all camp for free (c'mon, it is not just the KLR guys that are cheapskates), all the firewood we can burn and plenty of tools if you break something-- May your throttle hand never cramp and let the braps be with you!!

Please note that this is not a hand-holding type event. You are responsible for yourself, but we will not leave anyone behind. Standard operating procedure for our rides is that the rider ahead waits at intersections for whomever is behind. I will also try to get some GPS tracks put together if folks would like them and my brother has offered to possibly make roll charts if anyone prefers that way. I would not however recommend riding the small bike loops alone because you can do that some other time!

There will be a 'sweep' rider that knows the routes but make sure your bike is in good shape before we start because nobody wants to have to help fix bikes every 5 miles unless absolutely necessary ;)

We will meet at the designated camping spot Friday, do some riding if you show up early, then sing kumbayah and hold hands by the fire. 9am Saturday we gather for coffee and have a quick chat, kickstands are up at 9:30 and we hit the road, Jack.

Riding the full loop Saturday would be 102 miles and you would pass or be within a mile of (tiny, middle of nowhere)gas stations 5 times so even those bikes with gatorade bottle sized fuel tanks wouldn't need to carry any extra fuel. There are also ample opportunites for bailing out and heading back to camp. Sunday's loop will be shorter because we are a long way from anywhere and folks have to get home.

Please let me know if you are "in" here in this thread so that we can get an idea of attendance numbers. It would also be helpful if you indicate whether or not you want to ride the 'small' or 'big' bike loops. 'Big' bikes (>650cc) are welcome on the small bike loops if they have knobbies (and big brass balls/ovaries) but the sweep rider will reserve judgment to say "listen buddy, I don't care where you go but you can't sleep here!"

Preview of Saturday loop:

*all pictures but 2 are from Saturday's loop, one is singletrack at base camp, one is Sunday loop. Mitch you have a very 'photogenic riding style' when in water and ended up in a few of the demo pics

operose screwed with this post 01-05-2015 at 08:38 AM
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
operose OP
Mama tried

"In" List:

operose(me)
jontow(sweep)
Erin
bryantjt
Jesse
AdvRich
emti
Chuckracer
RichBeBe
racerron
akarob
erohver
koyote
CaseyB
Knobbiethrower
XT_Driftwood
ayeroller
Devo1959
adkpatroller
Dirt Roads
Oilhed
AtlasExp
Earth Rider
BrownDog7
lester3
enolaos
jgormley
guymanbro
Wreckster
mattwindy
Bikenstitches
the schwartz
NHTOTEROAD
Magile
Janet from Joisey
MATPOC
rdcamp
p_funk
carlosbarrios
Harrythekayaker
Garo8703

operose screwed with this post 03-23-2015 at 10:29 AM
Old 12-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
operose OP
Mama tried

Due to recent developments I feel it should be made known that this is not a 'sanctioned event' by any stretch of the definition. We are just people trying to have fun, if you want to have fun and go riding that is cool. There are no sign ups, there are no sponsors, and if someone asks I don't know why a bunch of dirtbikes have been following me all day but I can't manage to lose them.

operose screwed with this post 01-14-2015 at 03:43 PM
Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Casper137
When in doubt Mumble

Oddometer: 86
hmmmm 276 miles from my house to Colton, NY plus a border crossing.

That's most definetly doable.

May have to put the word out and have a Canuck Invasion.

So the sleeping arrangements would accomodate a soccermom mobile towing a trailer with a few bikes on it?

I'm overwieght, out of shape, underpowered, under qualified and the super sherpa would surely hate me but god hates a coward right.
'04 Kawi Ninja 500 (Sold)
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."
Casper137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
This looks like fun, BUT this year I'm doing BYOB the following weekend. I think that is too much to bite off. If you do it in 2016, it will be at the top of my list. I'll be following this thread..
Racer111v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
operose OP
Mama tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper137 View Post
hmmmm 276 miles from my house to Colton, NY plus a border crossing.

That's most definetly doable.

May have to put the word out and have a Canuck Invasion.

So the sleeping arrangements would accomodate a soccermom mobile towing a trailer with a few bikes on it?

I'm overwieght, out of shape, underpowered, under qualified and the super sherpa would surely hate me but god hates a coward right.
You Canuckistanians are closer than most of these other fools and we would be glad to have you! soccermom-mobile-towing-trailer will be ok just none of those things that are bigger than my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer111v View Post
This looks like fun, BUT this year I'm doing BYOB the following weekend. I think that is too much to bite off. If you do it in 2016, it will be at the top of my list. I'll be following this thread..
The summer is so short... it is hard to work around everything

On the upside there is too much good riding to fit into a weekend (trust me there were actual _sleepless nights_ trying to determine what to leave out) so if it works well this year next year will be a go!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,762
Nice intro and pics! IN! Saturday small bike for sure. Sunday will probably be big bike ride along. Also available for any help getting things ready.

AdvRich screwed with this post 12-31-2014 at 03:26 PM Reason: clarification
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Quote:
Glenn, I'm doing BYOB this year as well. I plan to ride from this event down to Matewan over the week in-between and already started mapping the route and CG's along the way. If interested give a holler.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
operose OP
Mama tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Glenn, I'm doing BYOB this year as well. I plan to ride from this event down to Matewan over the week in-between and already started mapping the route and CG's along the way. If interested give a holler.
I got your PM and was holding off to reply, then forgot because I'm a sucker :( Thanks for the offer, hopefully it is as much fun as it looks!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,237
I don't see why not, so I am in. The decision will be what bike to take as we get closer. I have my DR650 and with knobbies I am pretty capable to ride most stuff, that is not pure rock enduro trail.. But I also have a plated KTM300 that loves the nasty.
It is a long way off, but mark me in and I can decide on bikes.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Nice. I am also taking the week before and riding to BYOB. The plan so far is to meet up with Jack (Wood1) near Galeton PA on the 18th and be in WV sometime on Sunday. We will be around the Matewan WV area all week. Heading back to the State Collage PA to area to camp on Sunday 28th, and the rest of the way home Monday morning. I'm on the KTM950, and Jack will most likely be on a Versys with dirt tires. It would be great to camp/ride together. Keep in touch.
Racer111v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,340
I'm in!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Quote:
Nice. I am also taking the week before and riding to BYOB. The plan so far is to meet up with Jack (Wood1) near Galeton PA on the 18th and be in WV sometime on Sunday. We will be around the Matewan WV area all week. Heading back to the State Collage PA to area to camp on Sunday 28th, and the rest of the way home Monday morning. I'm on the KTM950, and Jack will most likely be on a Versys with dirt tires. It would be great to camp/ride together. Keep in touch.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Talking

The opportunity for a stubby pear shaped guy to ride like his helmet is on backwards and crash in front of mocking strangers and only be a hour from home is too great to resist. Im in. emti.
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
operose OP
Mama tried

RichBeBe you will be happy with either bike!

emti it will be nice to see you somewhere other than the gas station