Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #16
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Forget about the horsepower and the cost; you'll never have more fun riding anything than one of the new Triumph twins:

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Man that flat green is hot. I love my red and white but man is that sharp. The pinstriping looks great by the way.

Yer right about them being fun. I was looking at trading in the Scrambler on some higher powered machines but I just couldn't do it. These classics are just oh so right.

Yer missing out on the carbs though. How is the EFI treating you?
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #18
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,758
Thumb Enough Power for Me

My Thruxton was plenty fast. Remove the air injection crap, put on some 'Offroad Mufflers', rejet, some ICON shocks and your good to go. I really miss that bike

Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick
Man that flat green is hot. I love my red and white but man is that sharp. The pinstriping looks great by the way.

Yer right about them being fun. I was looking at trading in the Scrambler on some higher powered machines but I just couldn't do it. These classics are just oh so right.

Yer missing out on the carbs though. How is the EFI treating you?
The FI runs clean and pulls hard from any rpm, and no popping on deacceleration. The first tank of gas yielded 45 mpg on a mixture of riding. I think that will improve.
Read Peter Egans editorial in the January issue of Cycle World. He (and several of his friends) just got a Triumph twin. They feel about the same as I.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:34 AM   #20
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
sounds like you all love your triumphs they are cool looking bikes. If they are as great driving as they look, its a awsome bike.
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 AM   #21
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,130
Definately the GT1000... super horn looking bike... if I could have a bike as an 'emotional' purchase the GT1000 would be it... gorgeous!!!!

Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #22
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44
Forget about the horsepower and the cost; you'll never have more fun riding anything than one of the new Triumph twins:

This bike looks amazing... nice color
Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #23
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
Definately the GT1000... super horn looking bike... if I could have a bike as an 'emotional' purchase the GT1000 would be it... gorgeous!!!!
If I can caution anyone who is thinking about buying retro after being weened on more modern equipment: KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING IN TO! I've recently unloaded the GT1000 I had for a year and it was without a doubt the most disappointing bike that I have ever purchased in 33 years of riding. I bought the GT under the premise that it was retro looking with modern components and a nice riding position, but in reality the suspension is complete garbage and the fueling was horrendous. It's not even in the same ballpark as Ducati's own Monster series. There is no doubt that these" modern classics" look spectacular and stir the emotions when gazed upon but riding them can be a different story. If the look is overwhelmingly important you can be happy with one of these. But when thre are much better bikes around for less money, why bother???
High_Side is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #24
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side
If I can caution anyone who is thinking about buying retro after being weened on more modern equipment: KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING IN TO! I've recently unloaded the GT1000 I had for a year and it was without a doubt the most disappointing bike that I have ever purchased in 33 years of riding. I bought the GT under the premise that it was retro looking with modern components and a nice riding position, but in reality the suspension is complete garbage and the fueling was horrendous. It's not even in the same ballpark as Ducati's own Monster series. There is no doubt that these" modern classics" look spectacular and stir the emotions when gazed upon but riding them can be a different story. If the look is overwhelmingly important you can be happy with one of these. But when thre are much better bikes around for less money, why bother???
hmm interesting point of view. Did you use it for touring, long trips, dayrides, to and from work??
How is the suspension garbage, and what do you mean the fueling was horrendous?
I have also heard that some of the sport classics from ducati have issues with the tank.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #25
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,542
Quote:
What did you ride before the Ducati?

What are you riding now?

In what way is the SportClassic suspension garbage as compared to Monsters? They both use Brembo brakes and Showa suspensions.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #26
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
Bellagio '09

Bellagio e bellissima
Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #27
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
What did you ride before the Ducati?

What are you riding now?

In what way is the SportClassic suspension garbage as compared to Monsters? They both use Brembo brakes and Showa suspensions.

1.) Pretty much everything of a sporting slant for many years. My favorite for the previous 11 years was a VTR1000, a bike which many lambasted on the internet for poor suspension. Not at all in my experience.

2.) There is still a Monster S2R in the garage as well as a VFR. But since the GT is gone, I'm shopping.

3.) Minimal adjustment and the factory got it very wrong in the first place (for a 200lb rider at least). The bike is a frickin' hobby horse, and it's night and day difference between it and the Monster which even with inexpensive suspension, works well right out of the box.

Nobody was more surprised than me at how poorly the GT is compared to the Monster. Hell, the Monster is a great bike which led me to believe that the GT would be somewhat similar. Sure I could have spent the time and $$$ on the suspension, pipes and ECU, but on a new bike why should I have to just to make the bike work the way it should have in the first place?????

By the way, the brakes were fine. I never said that they weren't.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #28
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn
hmm interesting point of view. Did you use it for touring, long trips, dayrides, to and from work??
How is the suspension garbage, and what do you mean the fueling was horrendous?
I have also heard that some of the sport classics from ducati have issues with the tank.
1.) All of the above. Actually only 1 multi-day tour, and that was enough.

2.) See above post for the suspension, but as for the fueling:
*Extremely cold blooded
*Sputtering and coughing any time the throttle was applied - worse than any bike I have ever owned by a long shot....and yep, all of the filters were clean.

As for the tanks there is a lot of issues with them spreading apart so they actually come off of the mounts. This never happened with mine.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #29
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
1.) All of the above. Actually only 1 multi-day tour, and that was enough.

2.) See above post for the suspension, but as for the fueling:
*Extremely cold blooded
*Sputtering and coughing any time the throttle was applied - worse than any bike I have ever owned by a long shot....and yep, all of the filters were clean.

As for the tanks there is a lot of issues with them spreading apart so they actually come off of the mounts. This never happened with mine.
Sounds weird that ducati would make a bike that bad. And the tank issue is very serious.

Do you know if its only the GT model that has those problems or if its the same with the other classic models?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #30
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,258
I like the look of the new Bonneville

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote