Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
yep thats a beauty
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #32
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Personally, I would just wait for the Moto Morini scrambler... unlike most of the bikes mentioned here this one will RIP! The 117hp, 1187cc twin is one of the most exciting new engines to appear in a long time (read any reviews of the Gran Passo for a taste of just how responsive and fast the engine is) and the bike looks phenomenal.

apessino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #33
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

That bike looks awsome no doubt. But a bit too modern looking for what I am looking for.

Looks like moto morini have mixed a classic style bike with a modern and it works fine with a beautiful bike as a result.

But for my number 2 bike I am looking for a bike that looks like a old bike, but is new. And here I think triumph, ducati and moto guzzi have some good looking bikes.

But that moto morini looks awsome

Got run down yesterday: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411926

sbn screwed with this post 12-02-2008 at 04:20 AM
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #34
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick
I actually bit the arm off of a man that tried to throw a leg over my Triumph Scrambler without asking.

True story.

The Triumphs get a crap load of attention as well. Can be a bit uncomfortable at times. I've taken to calling mine The Movie Star.

Excellent bikes for just cruising around. Plenty of power for that too.

Uh, you took a picture of the wrong side...

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #35
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
I've yet to find a wrong side.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #36
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Funny, I got a Scrambler as a loaner bike recently, and really enjoyed it, which got me thinking about picking up a modern Bonneville. I had a lot of fun on the Scrambler because it felt small, and low, and immensely manageable.

Peter Egan wrote about doing just that in his recent article in Cycle World, and he even mused about buying a Scambler too, putting TWO modern Triumph Twins in his garage.

What's appealing to me about the Bonneville is that is just a "regular" motorcycle.

Not hyper-specialized. Not a race-rep sportbikes that is miserable on the street. Not a relative-leviathan sport-tourer or tourer that excels at big-mile days but is ponderous in city traffic. Not a cruiser for posing with dubious handling.

No, just a regular all-around bike. Throw your sweetheart on the back and meander down a country road at moderate pace. Dart through city traffic and park anywhere you please. Run to the store for a quart of milk. Commute to work once in awhile. Put your mom on the back for a plod around the block. Enjoy your favorite twisty road at a pace that allows you to enjoy the scenery in between.

For this, the horsepower of the Bonneville is fine. I'm not yet sure about suspension and brakes, though the former is easy enough to address, and few bikes have suitable suspensions for American riders anyway.

If you "need" 100hp and high-spec brakes and suspension, then you're looking for a different experience than these bikes are intended to deliver..

For me, the look of the Bonneville sets the standard.
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #37
Wade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvesurfer
Funny, I got a Scrambler as a loaner bike recently, and really enjoyed it, which got me thinking about picking up a modern Bonneville. I had a lot of fun on the Scrambler because it felt small, and low, and immensely manageable.

Peter Egan wrote about doing just that in his recent article in Cycle World, and he even mused about buying a Scambler too, putting TWO modern Triumph Twins in his garage.

What's appealing to me about the Bonneville is that is just a "regular" motorcycle.

Not hyper-specialized. Not a race-rep sportbikes that is miserable on the street. Not a relative-leviathan sport-tourer or tourer that excels at big-mile days but is ponderous in city traffic. Not a cruiser for posing with dubious handling.

No, just a regular all-around bike. Throw your sweetheart on the back and meander down a country road at moderate pace. Dart through city traffic and park anywhere you please. Run to the store for a quart of milk. Commute to work once in awhile. Put your mom on the back for a plod around the block. Enjoy your favorite twisty road at a pace that allows you to enjoy the scenery in between.

For this, the horsepower of the Bonneville is fine. I'm not yet sure about suspension and brakes, though the former is easy enough to address, and few bikes have suitable suspensions for American riders anyway.

If you "need" 100hp and high-spec brakes and suspension, then you're looking for a different experience than these bikes are intended to deliver..

I like your thinking...

but give me that MOTO MORINI! NOW! Wow that is hot!
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #38
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvesurfer

Agree with you completely.

Would a harley sportster be e contender here in the classic styled bikes or?? Dont know much about harleys so dont know if they new ones are reliable or as reliable as the triumphs and so on?

I think the nightster and the xr1200 looks sweat and classic

sbn screwed with this post 12-02-2008 at 02:57 PM
Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #39
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
[quote=sbn

Would a harley sportster be e contender here in the classic styled bikes or?? Dont know much about harleys so dont know if they new ones are reliable or as reliable as the triumphs and so on? [/quote]

Funny you should ask.
Last year I was looking for a retro bike and fell in love with the looks of the basic Sportster. Very minimalist. Just what I was looking for; a basic motorycyle. So I bought one and was very pleased with my decision until................I rode my friends new Bonneville. Smoother, more comfortable, more responsive, better. I now have a new Scrambler. The same mindset as the Sportster, but just a better all around bike.
Here's the Sportster. I still have it, but I don't think it's going to ridden much.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #40
vwone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
If it was me, I would get a Triumph! My best friend had a 06 black bonnie and I loved that bike! It is dead simple to work on, there is forums with technical info for them, they are just great looking, a blast to ride, you will win any popularity contest, there is a ton of accessories and you can make them into whatever you want.

I would own one now except I am on a BMW kick and I have 1975 R90/6. When I get off of the BMW thing, my next bike will be a Bonneville with a carburetor. I can do all of the maintenance, parts are easy to get, they make a Corbin smuggler for it and I love riding them.
vwone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #41
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44
Funny you should ask.
Last year I was looking for a retro bike and fell in love with the looks of the basic Sportster. Very minimalist. Just what I was looking for; a basic motorycyle. So I bought one and was very pleased with my decision until................I rode my friends new Bonneville. Smoother, more comfortable, more responsive, better. I now have a new Scrambler. The same mindset as the Sportster, but just a better all around bike.
Here's the Sportster. I still have it, but I don't think it's going to ridden much.

Glad to hear about your experience. But it is a nice looking bike you have there.

Im more and more leaning towards triumph. Cant deside which one of them I like the most of the 3 classics. Guess I have to see them in person and sit on them to which one feels right for me.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 AM   #42
Blacknblue
"I'm outa' here."

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwone
If it was me, I would get a Triumph! My best friend had a 06 black bonnie and I loved that bike! It is dead simple to work on, there is forums with technical info for them, they are just great looking, a blast to ride, you will win any popularity contest, there is a ton of accessories and you can make them into whatever you want.

I would own one now except I am on a BMW kick and I have 1975 R90/6. When I get off of the BMW thing, my next bike will be a Bonneville with a carburetor. I can do all of the maintenance, parts are easy to get, they make a Corbin smuggler for it and I love riding them.
+1
I like the T-100 for all the above stated reasons. I have a Honda 1984
Nighthawk 700 S that I fell in love with. I had alot of fun with my "virtual"
flame when I was still looking around. The T-100 is a good start with the
extra nice paint but the black ones rocks too. Be aware the 2009 models
will probably go fuel injection--not a bad thing but I prefer carbs. Might
be a good time to get a barely used `08. Check out www.foxcreek.com
for some excellent quality traditional style leather jackets and overpants.
They also feature saddle bags, boots, etc.
Blacknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #43
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino
Personally, I would just wait for the Moto Morini scrambler... unlike most of the bikes mentioned here this one will RIP! The 117hp, 1187cc twin is one of the most exciting new engines to appear in a long time (read any reviews of the Gran Passo for a taste of just how responsive and fast the engine is) and the bike looks phenomenal.

By far the nicest bike posted to this thread yet.

Won't appeal to Walter Mitty crowd like the enemic Triumph twins, but c'est la vie.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #44
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce
They say a picture is worth 1000 words and I agree

One of these should be arriving in February.
There was some talk that it will only be available in black for '09
although i did hear today that red (my choice) might still
be a possibility.

Had a Bonnie... fine scoot... but not even close in
terms of performance.

It will of course be running a full Termi set up which might
alone be worth the price of admission.

And now i must settle down to the tick, tick, tick....

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #45
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 872
here's my 06 scrambler .i traded in a 03 ducati monster 800 dark for it. i just got another ducati but i'm keeping the scrambler..........
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote