Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #136
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I just picked up this bad boy on Saturday. Rode it over 500 miles this weekend. Love it!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #137
Audacious Nick OP
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez
That's a great looking ZRX.. I can see myself on one.. but I'd
love to see an ABS system on it first tho..

Sorry!
So what do you do when your ABS stops working? Is that a scary thought?
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #138
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious Nick
So what do you do when your ABS stops working? Is that a scary thought?
Yes and no.. but it's never happened before, and the ABS saved
my skin a few times already in 15k+ miles on the 650, in situations
that nothing else could, other then not braking at all.

It's a safety feature/add on, not an automated braking system.
I still know how to use brakes. I cover a lot more miles on my
50cc scoot around town without the ABS, but if there was an
option, I'd get ABS on every bike.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #139
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo
I just picked up this bad boy on Saturday. Rode it over 500 miles this weekend. Love it!

The Carnegie Library/Layland Museum in Cleburne, Tx? You were right in my neck of the woods.
Burleson, Texas

pacman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #140
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,855
Just picked this one up yesterday. Rode her 300 miles after the trade to get home from New Mexico. I'm very happy! The ride back was COLD, though.

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #141
Audacious Nick OP
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Pick up the Factory Pro 2.5 Jet and air filter kit and a full exhaust system if you want to pick up some, and I mean about 20hp, more power.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #142
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas
Just picked this one up yesterday. Rode her 300 miles after the trade to get home from New Mexico. I'm very happy! The ride back was COLD, though.

Nice find, great bikes! Looks like an 02. Unmodded for the most part with the exception of the bar ends and slipon from what I can see. Even has stock tail. Like previous post, jet kit and a full pipe will add about 20 hp at the rear wheel. In addition to FP jet kit, Ivan's is popular too. Enjoy!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #143
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,855
Yep, it's an '02. Good observations, everything you mentioned is correct. The slip on is a kerker and it sounds pretty sweet. About the extra 20 hp....at this point, I don't really think I need it! Plenty fast for me right now. I need a front tire before anything else. Going in to get it registered and plated tomorrow, i'll snap some better pics too while i'm out.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #144
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Mine. Looks like most of the other green ones.
Only mods are the windscreen and mirror extenders.

9,000 miles and never been in the rain.

Uh oh... is that a spot of dirt on the engine?

mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #145
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas
Yep, it's an '02. Good observations, everything you mentioned is correct. The slip on is a kerker and it sounds pretty sweet. About the extra 20 hp....at this point, I don't really think I need it! Plenty fast for me right now. I need a front tire before anything else. Going in to get it registered and plated tomorrow, i'll snap some better pics too while i'm out.
You're right, it has plenty of POWRAH! Fo' sure.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #146
steelsculptor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
luggage issues on zrx for long trips

I am planning a 10-15k mile trip around the us including burning man this summer. I have a basically stock 1999 zrx1100. There is a chance I get a cute girl to tag along on the back for part of it. Almost certainly will be taking shorter overnight trips 2-up. anyone have weight/handling issues 2 up with gear?

I want hard bags for the security....any experiences here?

I have thought about putting on pods, lowering/shortening exhaust (I weld etc), and getting it tuned/rejetted and using battery out kit for more space under the seat, but I don't need the power and the tuning, pods, etc is expensive...thoughts? weight down low and locked underseat is so cool though....

anyone have experience with this?

I've never used hard bags before but as I get more ambitious in what I want to do and where I want to go for how long, the security sounds really good.
steelsculptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #147
mike21b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelsculptor
I am planning a 10-15k mile trip around the us including burning man this summer. I have a basically stock 1999 zrx1100. There is a chance I get a cute girl to tag along on the back for part of it. Almost certainly will be taking shorter overnight trips 2-up. anyone have weight/handling issues 2 up with gear?

I have thought about putting on pods, lowering/shortening exhaust (I weld etc), and getting it tuned/rejetted and using battery out kit for more space under the seat, but I don't need the power and the tuning, pods, etc is expensive...thoughts? weight down low and locked underseat is so cool though....

anyone have experience with this?

I've never used hard bags before but as I get more ambitious in what I want to do and where I want to go for how long, the security sounds really good.
You need to join zrxoa. That site is a wealth of information with a lot of active members.

Quote:
There is a chance I get a cute girl to tag along on the back for part of it.
Looks like there could be another active member!
mike21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #148
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
[quote=steelsculptor]I am planning a 10-15k mile trip around the us including burning man this summer. I have a basically stock 1999 zrx1100. There is a chance I get a cute girl to tag along on the back for part of it.[quote]
Enjoy every moment of it. Sounds like a blast.

Quote:

I have thought about putting on pods, lowering/shortening exhaust (I weld etc), .
I think this guy did it right, cut a wedge out & rewelded the exhaust to allow the bags to be lower and level. And modified a set of brackets from another bike. If you plan on hard bags & 2up riding I think you have to do this.

Search for user name smashbicycles on zrxoa.org.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"

Dave in Wi screwed with this post 01-18-2010 at 01:43 PM
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #149
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
steelsculptor, i have a 99 1100 with zx11 cams, timing advancer, battery relocate kit, pods, jet kit, full muzzy exhaust, etc.

these mods have trade-offs when compared to a stock bike. stock bikes can go anywhere with just the recommended maintenance. they are also designed to work to a held standard. modded bikes sometimes require alittle more tlc to keep in sharp tune and sometimes standards need to be relaxed. the trade off in this case is increased power, under seat room, and looks.

example...the pods (along with the accompanying mods) can be a real pain in the ass. if it rains, the oil washes off of the outer two pods, reducing your filtration. the pods (and any race filter imo) sacrifice filtration as it is. the argument is that race filters will harm your engine long term because they let in more particulates that cause increased wear. the pods also need to be removed periodically, washed, dried, re-oiled, then reinstalled. again, it can be a pain, especially when travelling. there are days that i really miss the stock air filters simplicity!

if youre travelling consistently, i would leave it stock. if youre jetting around town and wanting to do wheelies, then mod it. if you can get a cute chick to sit on the pillion, then more power to you. chances are she doesnt know a pod from an airbox anyway.

if youre wanting hard bags, then is the extra underseat storage necessary? i will admit, i do like having the extra storage, but then again i dont have hard bags.

just food for thought. i second mikes suggestion, get on zrxoa and peek around at what is good and bad about certain mods. ill be glad to help you out if you need anything.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #150
steelsculptor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thank you for all the suggestions!

as for zrxoa, yes I am already on there and did actually post this same question there. I posted on adv because most people don't do serious long distance and I wanted some adv-type opinions as well as the zrx ones. I got great info from both sites in the end.

It is really great to hear about your experiences with pods on long trips, though - I do like to go out on big rides and it sounds like the rain is a major hassle with pods...That is great info to have. Thank you.

It always takes me a while, but I tend to come to the same conclusion every time on bikes - don't skimp on safety, reasonable comfort, or maintenance, and put all my extra cash in to more and longer rides.

I think that is what I am going to end up doing here - soft bags of some sort - either way I'll fab a custom rack for strength, front/rear tailbag mounting flexibility, and to save the cash....
steelsculptor is offline   Reply With Quote