Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #196
DUKE II
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
The typical mods, SMSTEVE...Like the Kerker meg (which in my opinion is part of the ZRX's heritage (ELR)), removed airbox, installed the Moto-Fab storage tray kit, installed K&N pods, along with a Dynojet stage 3 rejet. Removed the pulse air system. Also installed the Greg Couch fork brace. The ZRX is a great performer, and is a refined example of the UJM superbikes of the past.
You seem very intereseted, and I would highly recommend one, as an addition to your stable!..SMSTEVE.
DUKE II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #197
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Any more pictures of the blue and green ones out there ?
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #198
kfoster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by sands
Any more pictures of the blue and green ones out there ?
Here is my green one:

kfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #199
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,173
my first one. '99

Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #200
cgjunk2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I picked up a zrx-1100 last weekend. I bought it with 28500 miles on it for 2700 bucks. Pretty much stock, except for a Corbin saddle, which has been a perfect seat. I just did a nearly 400 mile ride yesterday in absolute comfort because of it.

Both an ELR and an Fz1 (pre 06) have been dreambikes of mine. I owned an 2003 Fz1 a couple of years ago. It was a nice bike, great for the interstate, and the acceleration was neurologically overwhelming at times (a good thing) but I thought it handled rather poorly for my tastes. My primary bike has been a klr650 for the last 12 years, so I was used to bikes doing what I wanted them to do in the corners. But the fz always seemed uncooperative in the twisties. It just did not turn in very well at speeds above 40 or so mph. It just went into super stable gyro mode. The handling plain sucked on less than perfectly paved back roads. Bumps and dips would change the bikes line way too much, making it too tedious to enjoy my favorite KLR roads.

The ZRX, on the other hand, is much more flickable. It feels like wants to turn when I want to turn. I've put about 1000 miles on it so far with lots of grins and giggles. It turns in just fine at any speed. While it can get a bit upset with mid corner bumps, it is not as dramatic about it. So far this bike seems like a keeper. The acceleration is of course obscene compared to a Klr, but not completely overwhelming. The torque is definitely there though. When cruising on the freeway, the engine vibes seems to totally disappear just shy of 90mph indicated. I think I am going to enjoy my summer with the Rex, barring any huge mechanichal issues.

I have tried to register at the Zrxoa forums, but I have been unable to post. Apparently I am in a queue awaiting activation. It's been 4 days now and nothing. Do I need to go through some sort of hazing ritual first? :)
cgjunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #201
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,173
yes, you must send 5 bucks to all current menbers. actually, I think you should be able to post right away. I'm over there also.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #202
cgjunk2
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
yes, you must send 5 bucks to all current menbers. actually, I think you should be able to post right away. I'm over there also.
I'm not sure what is going on. I even emailed the admin too, but no answer yet.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #203
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
WhenI registered at ZRXOA it took several days for my account to be activated also, I wouldn't get too worried.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #204
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
Finally picked mine up a week ago, have not had much time to ride it but so far I'm liking it. It was absolutely spotless when I picked it up, I've killed a few bugs with it now but it still looks good. The only thing I don't like so far is that my right leg cramps up, I may need to get the Buell pegs to lower them a bit.

1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #205
cgjunk2
Adventurer

Hey Dave,

I'm in Milwaukee. I was just out past Madison this last weekend on my new ZRX. Drove through your beautiful backyard just west of Madison. Went from Blue Mounds to Spring Green, along the Wisconsin River for a while. Up, down, all around. Doesn't much matter which way you turn in those parts. I left Milwaukee at 3:30 am and got to Blue Mounds at 6:00am. Played for a few hours, and got back home before lunch. I have to say, one of the best rides I've ever done, I don't think I even touched the tip of the iceberg though. If you got any good tips for roads around there, please pass them along. I am sure I will be out there at least one more time before the summer is out. I'm game if you want to join up too.

Carlos
Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #206
ozyran
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by btl68
My experiences with pods on my 2005 is the complete opposite of yours. I put on Outerwears pre-filters and had absolutely no problems for 70,000 miles (in 4 years of ownership) of trips out west, rain storms for days on end and never did I ever regret using pods. I only oiled the pods every year, as they were really clean with the pre-filters on them.

Here's the old girl in Montana after 2 full days of rain, September 2008.

Well HOLY CRAP, I NEVER thought I'd see another white ZRX!

Here's mine, an 1100C4 model:

(I really need to get out and get some better photography done with this thing.)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #207
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi
Finally picked mine up a week ago, have not had much time to ride it but so far I'm liking it. It was absolutely spotless when I picked it up, I've killed a few bugs with it now but it still looks good. The only thing I don't like so far is that my right leg cramps up, I may need to get the Buell pegs to lower them a bit.

That took some work, nice job and welcome to the fold. Did you get your CB750F sold?

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #208
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy
That took some work, nice job and welcome to the fold. Did you get your CB750F sold?
I did sell the 750, as well as my 900F late in May. Kind of like going all in playing poker, I was hoping I'd find the right bike so I would have something to ride this summer. That month without a bike was very long. Not that I ride much now anyway... Don't tell my boss but I plan on playing hooky a couple of days this summer to go and ride. Cgjunk2, if/when I do I'll let you know.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #209
cgjunk2
Adventurer

Sweet! That ride out there has me wanting more.

Before my next big ride, I got to give the Rex a little tlc. Got new front brake pads on order today. Next is chain/sprockets and tires. My chain adjustment only lasted a couple hundred miles on that last trip. Actually had to take the slack out of it at a gas station in Spring Green.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #210
cgjunk2
Adventurer

Does anyone have an email for a moderator or something at zrxoa? I'm registered, but can't post. Don't know if it's a prob on my end or not. I emailed the admin last week with no reply.

By the way, could someone let me know the torque for the triple tree bolts. Wasn't able to find anything using search at zrxoa.

Thanks

cgjunk2 screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 07:33 PM