Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
RedSquirrel OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Moving to Belgium from UK: Import existing or buy replacement locally?

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster :)

So I am possibly moving to Brussels, Belgium and debating if I should sell my existing bike (Honda CBF600 aka BlueBadger) or import it into Brussels.

It is my commuting bike that has been with me for ages, 60K miles on the clock so not fussed about getting rid of it although it is probably worth more to me than I can sell it at with the high mileage.

It cost me the its value the last time that I imported in Germany which was a silly decision so didn't want to make the same mistake again. It still has EU headlamps on it, a piece of tape to pass the MOT; TUV didn't allow use of tape on the original headlamps...

Not sure if it will be cheaper to just buy a new one (2nd hand) in Belgium, had a look at a few 2nd hand websites and the selection seemed a bit on the low side compared to the UK.

So does anyone actually know the cost and procedures? I have seen a few various things that have hinted it may cost next to nothing, in which case, job done.

2ndly, so I will then be looking for the fun bike or trading this in for a fun bike either before or after the move to Belgium. If I P/X it for say a KTM690 (2nd hand) would that make a difference in registering it in Belgium if I will have owned the new bike less than 6 months?

Can you P/X in Belgium? will they accept a bike with UK clocks? will be a pain to swap that over.

3rdly, are the roads in Belgium worth getting an adventure bike? Or would I be better off with more fairing if most of it is boring motorways. I might be sensible and a commuting friendly bike too.

Cheers!
RedSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 AM   #2
arnoldus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
It would cost you around 60-100 to get a new license plate + a yearly vehicle tax of around the same (not for vehicles <=250cc).
As the vehicle already has many miles and is not new, you'd normally not have to pay customs or VAT. However, that is for normal EU, I don't know about UK.

http://www.vbbe.be/en/importing-and-registering-car