Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #136
CopperLioness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshan2044 View Post
  • Secondly I have a motorcycle License in India, also got the IDP done, Will I be allowed to ride even something like Kawa Ninja 250/Hyosung GT250 kinda bikes which I believe is like beginners/under18 learners bike in Europe, I am 26 and as of now I want to see NL/Europe on something which can take me places with min expense ? (Student remember !)
As far as I know, you have to get a Dutch licence after 6 months - the IDP is just a translation of your licence - and since you don't come from one of the countries listed here, you can't exchange yours or use it after 6 months. The only way around it I know of is to be here as a kennismigrant, a knowledge worker, as they can just exchange their licences, but I don't think you are in that category as a student. I'd ask your university to be sure, but I did a quick google search and it sounds like students fall under normal rules.

It's not a fun process (as a Canadian resident through marriage, my licence isn't valid either and I'm in the midst of it) - it involves a theory test (in Dutch, or you have to pay for a translator and arrange a special exam - they do the car theory test in English, but not motorcycle), then a skills test and then a road test. You have to go through a driving school for the two riding tests, and usually need lessons as well in order to practice the very specific skills exercises and prep for the road test. Not cheap. On the upside, you would be able to ride anything - you only have to get a "light" licence if you're under a certain age.

One question I've been wondering about, but don't have an answer for, is whether a foreign licence is valid in EU (outside of the Netherlands) while one is resident in the Netherlands, i.e., could I transport my bike to the border (or store it over the border) and then ride legally on my Canadian licence, since I'm then a tourist in their country and have a valid licence? I'm not sure how insurance would work then (maybe get someone else to insure it?), but I have been pondering it. Probably not helpful for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Or maybe it would be helpful, if you were renting bikes in other countries, since as a tourist your licence would be valid. It's such a silly system.

And, to get a sense of used bike prices, your best bet is probably Marktplaats. Also handy for a wide variety of other things you may need while you're here.

Hope that helps and good luck!

2002 BMW F650CS
CopperLioness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #137
roshan2044
RosTourer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperLioness View Post
As far as I know, you have to get a Dutch licence after 6 months - the IDP is just a translation of your licence - and since you don't come from one of the countries listed here, you can't exchange yours or use it after 6 months. The only way around it I know of is to be here as a kennismigrant, a knowledge worker, as they can just exchange their licences, but I don't think you are in that category as a student. I'd ask your university to be sure, but I did a quick google search and it sounds like students fall under normal rules.

It's not a fun process (as a Canadian resident through marriage, my licence isn't valid either and I'm in the midst of it) - it involves a theory test (in Dutch, or you have to pay for a translator and arrange a special exam - they do the car theory test in English, but not motorcycle), then a skills test and then a road test. You have to go through a driving school for the two riding tests, and usually need lessons as well in order to practice the very specific skills exercises and prep for the road test. Not cheap. On the upside, you would be able to ride anything - you only have to get a "light" licence if you're under a certain age.

One question I've been wondering about, but don't have an answer for, is whether a foreign licence is valid in EU (outside of the Netherlands) while one is resident in the Netherlands, i.e., could I transport my bike to the border (or store it over the border) and then ride legally on my Canadian licence, since I'm then a tourist in their country and have a valid licence? I'm not sure how insurance would work then (maybe get someone else to insure it?), but I have been pondering it. Probably not helpful for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Or maybe it would be helpful, if you were renting bikes in other countries, since as a tourist your licence would be valid. It's such a silly system.

And, to get a sense of used bike prices, your best bet is probably Marktplaats. Also handy for a wide variety of other things you may need while you're here.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Thanks for the reply.

Kinda Disappointed to be honest seeing that the Motorcycle License test is in Dutch becoz I am nowhere close to speaking dutch and a written TEST in Dutch will be overload ....Only next suitable option is to have a translator and get through the written test, hopefully will clear the skills and road test without .....But will this be good enough to ride anything of any size anywhere in Europe?

How much does a Motorcycle and Car DL test cost (inclusive of everything) ? How long does it take to get one ? (Btb a translator will cost 170Euros)

roshan2044 screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 09:28 PM
roshan2044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #138
Brit/Man II
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Thumb What to do today ? :)

Hi any one on line has the day off,and would like to show me a little bit of the NL need about 1 hour to get to Venlo, or I live nere Dortmund (D).
Will be on the net for about 45min`s

Don`t dream of the past, don`t dwell on the future.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.
Brit/Man II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #139
CopperLioness
Adventurer

Quote:
But will this be good enough to ride anything of any size anywhere in Europe?
Yes. And I think with your Indian licence you could ride outside the Netherlands, but I'm not sure of that. Does anyone else know?

Quote:
How much does a Motorcycle and Car DL test cost (inclusive of everything) ? How long does it take to get one ? (Btb a translator will cost 170Euros)
Hard to say, depends. It takes a while to get a written test date (though not sure how it works with a translater, I did it in Dutch, but I've studied the language in order to be inburgered and been here almost four years). And yes, you now have to use an approved translator and it costs lots. As for lessons and tests, the first test, Motor vortuigbeheersing (skills), is €46 and the second, Motor verkeersdeelname (traffic), is €107.75, but the schools often add costs, and you have to do it through the riding school. Riding lessons vary, but I've found many are about €45/hour (also look at how long the lessons are). You can find schools in your area here - in Dutch of course, but Google translate should handle it. They have the pass percentages (slaagkans) for each school listed for each of the two motorcycle tests. As for time frame, nothing here happens quickly, but it depends on how busy your instructor is and what exam dates he can get and how many lessons you need. If you want to practice the skills before you come, they're listed on this pdf, in Dutch of course, but with diagrams.

2002 BMW F650CS
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #140
enfielddnepr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Heb ik me al aangemeld?
we wonen in assen, momenteel een enfield 10pk diesel en jawa type 638.
sta open voor een buurttreffen!
enfielddnepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #141
roshan2044
RosTourer

Quote:
Yes. And I think with your Indian licence you could ride outside the Netherlands, but I'm not sure of that. Does anyone else know?

Hard to say, depends. It takes a while to get a written test date (though not sure how it works with a translater, I did it in Dutch, but I've studied the language in order to be inburgered and been here almost four years). And yes, you now have to use an approved translator and it costs lots. As for lessons and tests, the first test, Motor vortuigbeheersing (skills), is €46 and the second, Motor verkeersdeelname (traffic), is €107.75, but the schools often add costs, and you have to do it through the riding school. Riding lessons vary, but I've found many are about €45/hour (also look at how long the lessons are). You can find schools in your area here - in Dutch of course, but Google translate should handle it. They have the pass percentages (slaagkans) for each school listed for each of the two motorcycle tests. As for time frame, nothing here happens quickly, but it depends on how busy your instructor is and what exam dates he can get and how many lessons you need. If you want to practice the skills before you come, they're listed on this pdf, in Dutch of course, but with diagrams.
Thanks for all the info... Guess I need to make few changes to my strategies and do as much (RIDES) as possible before the 6 month existing DL validity time period gets over ... And in the mean time I need to get all set for a Test ( with translator as I doubt if i can manage a Dutch written test in 6 months )
can I take somebody I know who knows Dutch ?

Went through your blog... You must be longing to ride long as not much has happened since last post or is it that it hasnt been put up on the blog ? Anyhow catch u all sometime in Netherlands as it a small country u still have ur BMW and Ninja ?( NL or Canada ?)

roshan2044 screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 09:19 AM
Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #142
CopperLioness
Adventurer

Quote:
can I take somebody I know who knows Dutch ?
Not anymore, unfortunately. I think you used to be able to but they changed it (I was originally planning on taking my husband before I spoke as much Dutch). Now it has to be a recognized/certified someone I think. Yeah, here. They don't make it easy. I would still check with your school as to what applies under your visa, just to be sure before doing all this stuff.

Quote:
Went through your blog... You must be longing to ride long as not much has happened since last post or is it that it hasnt been put up on the blog ? Anyhow catch u all sometime in Netherlands as it a small country u still have ur BMW and Ninja ?( NL or Canada ?)
Still have the BMW, need to get it on the road here, sold the Ninja when I left Canada, need to sell the scooter still once I get it on the road. I haven't updated that blog in a while - been really busy, now have two young kids, bought a house last summer and completely re-did it (though still have stuff to so), and looking for work. But yeah, I've still got some travelling stories to add in when I get a chance (my 3.5 year old has been to 15 countries, the 16 month old to 8). Nothing on a bike though, hoping to get my licence, get my bike back on the road and get at least one trip in this summer without my family. And, yes, the not riding is driving me nuts. And yeah, get in touch when you get here :)

2002 BMW F650CS
Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #143
roshan2044
RosTourer

Quote:
Not anymore, unfortunately. I think you used to be able to but they changed it (I was originally planning on taking my husband before I spoke as much Dutch). Now it has to be a recognized/certified someone I think. Yeah, here. They don't make it easy. I would still check with your school as to what applies under your visa, just to be sure before doing all this stuff.

Still have the BMW, need to get it on the road here, sold the Ninja when I left Canada, need to sell the scooter still once I get it on the road. I haven't updated that blog in a while - been really busy, now have two young kids, bought a house last summer and completely re-did it (though still have stuff to so), and looking for work. But yeah, I've still got some travelling stories to add in when I get a chance (my 3.5 year old has been to 15 countries, the 16 month old to 8). Nothing on a bike though, hoping to get my licence, get my bike back on the road and get at least one trip in this summer without my family. And, yes, the not riding is driving me nuts. And yeah, get in touch when you get here :)
3.5 years old Sprocket has been to 15 countries and 16 month old has been to 8 countries , Europe is indeed a traveler's paradise. It seems very few who are active on this regional forum. But found some interesting places to buy stuff for start. Sure will get in touch once I get there. Hope you make that trip in Summer "as per Plan" :)

Ride safe and Have fun
Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #144
ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Alessandro, aparently the second Italian in Amsterdam who drives a black KTM 990.
ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #145
Snarfy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Also singing in. I'm Ard, living in Rotterdam.
My ride is a 1150GS, 11 years old.
Did Scotland last year and this year a round trip through Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic and Germany. Close to 6500 km

See ya !
Snarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #146
roshan2044
RosTourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfy View Post
Also singing in. I'm Ard, living in Rotterdam.
My ride is a 1150GS, 11 years old.
Did Scotland last year and this year a round trip through Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic and Germany. Close to 6500 km

See ya !
Wow thats quite a lot of places and of course distance especially on a 11year 1150 GS. You must have quite a lot of memories with that bike. Went through your thread , You were the youngest @44 ..wow ..... havent found time to complete the thread ?? I see u went to Ukraine and that't the end. Waiting for more pics if you got ;) few more

Ride safe and Have fun

roshan2044 screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 10:42 PM
Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #147
Snarfy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I'm starting with a RR here
I did it in Dutch on a few other forums and now a short version in English.
Snarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 AM   #148
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfy View Post
I'm starting with a RR here
I did it in Dutch on a few other forums and now a short version in English.
Just stumbled over this topic. Easy to miss, The Netherlands might be a tiny little kingdom, but it is rather larger than the Amsterdam City Limits.

YaYaBiko... your avatar says it all... Another bl*dy tourist who thinks Amsterdam ís the Netherlands... ;) No worries, Mate. Come over to visit us here in the North Eastern parts of The Netherlands and enjoy non- closed dirtroads and non-traffic-congested countryroads!

So... remove the Amsterdam part, remain the NL part... OK?

Tnx from Top of Holland, Ommelanderwijk, Groningen province.
Bernard.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #149
ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Just stumbled over this topic. Easy to miss, The Netherlands might be a tiny little kingdom, but it is rather larger than the Amsterdam City Limits.

YaYaBiko... your avatar says it all... Another bl*dy tourist who thinks Amsterdam ís the Netherlands... ;) No worries, Mate. Come over to visit us here in the North Eastern parts of The Netherlands and enjoy non- closed dirtroads and non-traffic-congested countryroads!

So... remove the Amsterdam part, remain the NL part... OK?

Tnx from Top of Holland, Ommelanderwijk, Groningen province.
Bernard.
So bring us for a show around
ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 AM   #150
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfielddnepr View Post
Heb ik me al aangemeld?
we wonen in assen, momenteel een enfield 10pk diesel en jawa type 638.
sta open voor een buurttreffen!
Hi Russindian,

20 minutes from Assen. 45 on one of your bikes... Dutch ADV member-meetup would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm View Post
So bring us for a show around
You're welcome.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote