Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #136
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Dirtymartini, seeing what other bikes You have, I think once You make the adjustment to riding with a sidecar, You are going to fall in love with the Ural. Just think of a Ural as the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #137
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,791
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini
Getting ready to squeeze the trigger...

[IMG][/IMG]
Do it...DO IT...DEW ITTTTTT!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #138
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
While I'd agree that anybody considering a sidecar should "do their homework" I would dispute that highlighted sentence, there... www.sidecar.com is the United SideCar Association and a good source of info. In addition to Hal Kendall's contributions to the sidecaring community there's forums with "technical", "general" and "classifieds" categories worth considering.

Just like anything on the innerwebs you gotta' probe and ask questions... USCA is a pretty good place to start. Some of "the installers" are here in ADV and will give you a straight answer too... whether you ask for it here OR there.

Just sayin'...
TT
Not saying that the site isn't good in many ways as a resource area for sidecarists. It is, but as far as getting an unbiased view of a Ural in particular, vs other makes that installers deal with, I'd disagree with you on that one, completely. Check the archives posts on Urals there and it won't take long to see that there are many incorrect thoughts about Urals posted by many of the best of the installers. Some are indeed non-biased, but not so for all. Again, their bread and butter is not made by working on Urals. They are a great group to get info from though and I have no problems in recommending them for many other issues, problems or such. However, if I wanted accurate info and recommendations in deciding upon a Ural, it still would not be my first choice of a website to ask such questions on. Likewise, if I wanted info on attaching a hack to a Jap bike or such, I'd probably never recommend anyone go to a Ural website for the best information on such. It is like asking Ford dealerships to comment positively on Chevys or vise versa when at that site and dealing with specific Ural dependability questions. However, that is just my take on it. As a research area the site is indeed very good in most aspects and I enjoy posting there and reading thier info on many subjects. Just not all things Ural.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...

coupe1942 screwed with this post 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #139
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
So then did you get it?
How am I gonna get talked out of buying one of these if you cave and get one?

I think I need a Vodka... I mean Tequila.... crap....
It's not home yet, I'm hoping for early next week. Have a Vodka Martini....shaken, not stirred!
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #140
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942
. Check the archives posts on Urals there and it won't take long to see that there are many incorrect thoughts about Urals posted by many of the best of the installers. Some are indeed non-biased, but not so for all. Again, their bread and butter is not made by working on Urals. (snip). It is like asking Ford dealerships to comment positively on Chevys or vise versa when at that site and dealing with specific Ural dependability questions....
I think you have it backwards-it maybe those installers have more and broader experience dealing with Urals and the importers.

I'd recommend anyone looking at any sidecar rig to check as much info as they can find about the sidecar and the bike, and take a hard look at thier own needs and plans.

While the Ural boards have a wealth of information and are great support for owners, they do have thier own agenda too. You need to gather information from all sources and sift through it as best you can. If you find a lot of complaints about reliability, there just might be something to it.

Urals have much improved over the years and there are some great dealers out there. If you want a Ural, I suggest you get the newest one you can afford and you research your dealership-the dealer can make or break your experience with this bike.

(Hi, Huey :-)
Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #141
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 10,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942
Not saying that the site isn't good in many ways as a resource area for sidecarists. It is... Check the archives posts on Urals ... ...
It is like asking Ford dealerships to comment positively on Chevys or vise versa when at that site and dealing with specific Ural dependability questions. However, that is just my take on it. As a research area the site is indeed very good in most aspects and I enjoy posting there and reading thier info on many subjects. Just not all things Ural.
kinda' wordy, aintcha'?
Try a different analogy... It's like asking AAA or NASCAR or any other all-inclusive group which brand is better.

Apologies to the OP for the thread-jacking.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #142
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #143
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
I think you have it backwards-it maybe those installers have more and broader experience dealing with Urals and the importers.

I'd recommend anyone looking at any sidecar rig to check as much info as they can find about the sidecar and the bike, and take a hard look at thier own needs and plans.

While the Ural boards have a wealth of information and are great support for owners, they do have thier own agenda too. You need to gather information from all sources and sift through it as best you can. If you find a lot of complaints about reliability, there just might be something to it.

Urals have much improved over the years and there are some great dealers out there. If you want a Ural, I suggest you get the newest one you can afford and you research your dealership-the dealer can make or break your experience with this bike.

Hi, back atcha, Vernon.

This was only my take on it, but I still think it is basically a correct one. You can be correct in some Ural sites having their own agenda, but overall I think most really don't. I don't believe that most installers at sidecar.com are more knowledgable on Urals than are most Ural dealers though, but I agree you need to check out the rep and experience of any dealer very well in advance of a purchase.

Trying to not be so wordy for Tony. Differences in opinions don't necessarily mean either view is completely incorrect. Just a different take by both parties. :-)

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...

coupe1942 screwed with this post 01-06-2009 at 02:58 PM
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #144
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,662
Oh... so then I shouldn't buy one?
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #145
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
kinda' wordy, aintcha'?
Try a different analogy... It's like asking AAA or NASCAR or any other all-inclusive group which brand is better.

Apologies to the OP for the thread-jacking.

Huey, wordy? Gee, I never heard that before.

Rumor has it that if he moves, he has to give T. Boone Pickens 30 days notice.

Hi Huey Good to see you over here.
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #146
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,823
Quote:
No, NO You should buy one. Then ship it down here and I will make sure it is all set up properly and break it in properly for you.

Marc
Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #147
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Quote:

Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #148
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
You should do your research and have a good think first. I know/knew Ural dealers who'll drop small items like 2000 mile service intervals and 60 mph reccomended cruising speeds into the conversation to make sure they didn't sell to people who needed BMW's/Triumphs/Honda's/KTM's and others that wouldn't. The bad ones skipped over that completely and made a big thing of "simple maintenance" when what they actually mean was (in the bad old 650 days this was), "you'll be able to rebuild your own gearbox next year".

I know at least one convertor who's attitude is "you spec it and pay, we'll build it". You won't get any advice from that guy that putting a chair on an R65 GS conversion results in something very similar to a Ural but costs more and lacks reverse/interchangeable tyres.

Write a spec of what your outfit must do and show it at least three dealers and three convertors IMHO. Don't gloss over the bits you aren't happy with they'll come back to haunt you. If the Ural ticks the boxes then get one.

BTW, have we ever had a survey of who rides what? Be interesting to see how many Urals, re-engined Urals and Ural chairs on other brands we have?

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #149
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Huey, wordy? Gee, I never heard that before.

Rumor has it that if he moves, he has to give T. Boone Pickens 30 days notice.

Hi Huey Good to see you over here.
Yeah, T. Boone and I hang at the same circles in Texas. Him rich with drilling oil and me making him rich with purchasing it. My wind farm construction kit will likely be started up any day now, as well, so I'll have to meet with him once again to discuss how to best keep my cows cool from the Texas heat with such.

Hi, back atcha.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #150
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie
You should do your research and have a good think first. I know/knew Ural dealers who'll drop small items like 2000 mile service intervals and 60 mph reccomended cruising speeds into the conversation to make sure they didn't sell to people who needed BMW's/Triumphs/Honda's/KTM's and others that wouldn't. The bad ones skipped over that completely and made a big thing of "simple maintenance" when what they actually mean was (in the bad old 650 days this was), "you'll be able to rebuild your own gearbox next year".

I know at least one convertor who's attitude is "you spec it and pay, we'll build it". You won't get any advice from that guy that putting a chair on an R65 GS conversion results in something very similar to a Ural but costs more and lacks reverse/interchangeable tyres.

Write a spec of what your outfit must do and show it at least three dealers and three convertors IMHO. Don't gloss over the bits you aren't happy with they'll come back to haunt you. If the Ural ticks the boxes then get one.

BTW, have we ever had a survey of who rides what? Be interesting to see how many Urals, re-engined Urals and Ural chairs on other brands we have?

Andy
Ask not, want not...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421500
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote