Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #31
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I average 1200km a month on My 07 Patrol, it has never let me down. If You are looking for every day utility, or will do alot of off road / snow, a late model Ural is the way to go. I wouldn't go the Dnepr, or CJ route unless it is just going to be a once in a while "play toy". A Dnepr can be brought up to late model Ural standards, but it will end up costing the same, You get what You pay for. HD's are real nice long distance tour rigs, but are 3X the price of a new Ural if on a FL with after market reverse. A used Sportster could make a nice rig for a fair price, but there is no reverse option, and imho, reverse is more important for off road than 2wd. BMW rigs can be real nice to, and older non vintage rigs can be had for a reasonable price. Havent seen many Jap rigs except monster Goldwing's. Thay look more like rv's than motorcycles. The school that held the 3 wheel class that I took, had 250 Su-zu-ki Savage - Sputnik rigs, The less said the better.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #32
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,345
"Once in a while play toy" - HA! My Dnepr is a daily rider (about 1k/month) and commons goes with modern URals - no problems. All in all about 1/4 the price. Don't throw them all in the same basket. The "bitza" Dneprs that are common on eBay etc are NO way near the quality of an actual factory produced model.
I guess I would be trying to justify all that $$ as well

"you get what you pay for." commonly this is correct. However, there are deals out there if you do your homework and know what you are getting. $15k for a Russian sidecar rig is not a deal in my opinion.
If you need to cruise at 65 mph and want a 2-year warranty, then go URal. In the end, you will need to be a good degree of a wrench to keep one on the road...

RomaDakota screwed with this post 12-02-2008 at 09:18 PM
RomaDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #33
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,348
+1 to Roma on the Dnepr. The Dnepr, especially the 2WD military model, has a more advanced design than even the most current Ural! The trick is getting a quality one. Best way is to use a reputable seller and preferably get an MB (MW) -- military spec bike.

+1 to reverse being more important off-road than two-wheel-drive. A lot of the time it's easier to back out.

That said, I've always driven my 1WD rigs in the snow. In fact, I always make a point out of getting out there whenever there's a snowstorm I hope we get some in New York this year, I want to play!
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #34
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,345
The secrets to a reliable Russian/Soviet rig are simple...
1) proper break-in
2) frequent fluid changes
3) stay within envelope of design; i.e. cruise 50-55 or less for OHV Dnepr or URal respectively.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #35
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy dirtymartini,

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

"If" your thinking about doing a lot of off road riding get the two wheel drive rig.

Buy as new a Ural as you can afford.
Howdy Mr Cob,

I appreciate your advice having read many of your posts...
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 AM   #36
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

I really wanted a Dnepr, and was willing to pay for a good one. looked for over a year, and could not find even 1 factory built, first quality, leagally imported Dnepr. It seems factory built Dnepr's are a very rare bird in the US, and dont come up for sale very often. How many got imported? in the low hundred's more or less? The prices quoated to me to have a ohv 750, 2wd, 100% rebuilt like new with quality new parts, were almost the same as a new Ural. Talking 90's rigs, then for sure Dnepr has the upper hand, Thay were being put together with Soviet era military quality parts, and Ural was limping along with almost no qc at all. To say that the Dnepr factory ever built anything to match what Ural is building now, well just look at a 08 Ural, and any year Dnepr side by side. look at the welds, castings, tin work, electrics, and general fit, and finish. Ural now uses American pistons, rings, bearings, and seals, German gears, Ducati electrics, denso alt., keihin carbs. and standard Euro hardware, Dnepr as good as a New Ural, please, get real. That said, if somebody had offered Me a real nos, MB750M, or a MT-16 with a MB750M locking diff, I would be riding a Dnepr, not a Ural, so much for logic. And dont tell, but My 07 Ural Patrol has a Dnepr toaster tank on it. And yes, I still want a Dnepr! As to the price of a new Ural, is it worth it? I dont know. You cant compair it to a Dnepr, as thay are gone. Ural is the only rtr sidecar on the market. Just look at the price of any bike compaired to a car and what You get for Your money, bikes dont look so good Dollar wise. A HD Ultra Classic is 32K. If somebody is willing to pay, then that is what it is worth?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #37
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc
+1 to Roma on the Dnepr. The Dnepr, especially the 2WD military model, has a more advanced design than even the most current Ural! The trick is getting a quality one. Best way is to use a reputable seller and preferably get an MB (MW) -- military spec bike.

+1 to reverse being more important off-road than two-wheel-drive. A lot of the time it's easier to back out.

That said, I've always driven my 1WD rigs in the snow. In fact, I always make a point out of getting out there whenever there's a snowstorm I hope we get some in New York this year, I want to play!
Thanks again Eastbloc, I do like the differential design of the Dnepr 2WD. Right now I can't see the value in paying twice as much for a Ural. Maybe after I get some experience I'll change my mind who knows.

I wish there was a dealer in NYC, I'll be there Saturday. I promised I would go with my wife on a bus trip they were having where she works. I hate buses!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #38
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Dirty, I have not ridden a Dnepr with differential off road, or in snow, but most who do will say that the standard 1wd is better. A rig with a differential is just like a 2wd car, if a wheel looses traction, You just sit and spin. The MB750M locking differential is the best of both world's. I would like to put one on My Ural, but thay are very hard to find, and command big $.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #39
muschelschubser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill
Dirty, I have not ridden a Dnepr with differential off road, or in snow, but most who do will say that the standard 1wd is better. A rig with a differential is just like a 2wd car, if a wheel looses traction, You just sit and spin. The MB750M locking differential is the best of both world's. I would like to put one on My Ural, but thay are very hard to find, and command big $.
I owne a MT16, it works well even with no difflock, One just has move the weight to the wheel which tends to los grip. But you don't have to have move as much as on SWD.
Richard Hoffmann (*1938 ),
muschelschubser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #40
SandHog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
These Russian machines were made to go 40 mph on crappy roads, all day long with three soldiers, 200 pounds of equipment, plus a machine gun, ammo and spare tires.
The real life application would be 55 mph on a decent road, carrying a monkey and 200 pounds of camping gear or groceries. Then pull off on a dirt road for the last 5 miles in the rain. Add some snow days up north.
Is this what you have in mind? Sounds like fun to me, but not too all. The 2WD is nice to have, but not needed for most dirt road ridin'. I seldom need mine, but when you do..........Nothing else like it.

'07 Ypan патруль/Gear-up
'88 BMW R100 GS Bumble Bee
SandHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #41
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHog
These Russian machines were made to go 40 mph on crappy roads, all day long with three soldiers, 200 pounds of equipment, plus a machine gun, ammo and spare tires.
The real life application would be 55 mph on a decent road, carrying a monkey and 200 pounds of camping gear or groceries. Then pull off on a dirt road for the last 5 miles in the rain. Add some snow days up north.
Is this what you have in mind? Sounds like fun to me, but not too all. The 2WD is nice to have, but not needed for most dirt road ridin'. I seldom need mine, but when you do..........Nothing else like it.

Sound like fun to me. Do you think the authorities would frown on the machine gun?
These days I would be afraid to even have a dummy gun on the bike.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 AM   #42
pigeonfarmboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
You haven't bought one yet? Man I need your will power...
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #43
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy
You haven't bought one yet? Man I need your will power...
I went to look at new ones at my local dealer, I didn't think this guy stocked anything, boy was I surprised! He had an '08 Gear-UP, '08 Tourist, and a leftover '07 Tourist in Black witha few hundred kilometers on it.

The new Gear-Up is just too far out of my price range, but the '07 Tourist....Hmmmm.

Sunday I'm going to look at a Dnepr, after that I will try to make up my mind.

Oh, I also found a used '07 Retro faily reasonable.....
Old 12-05-2008, 04:59 AM   #44
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
My 2p worth: Here in the UK a new Ural costs more than my Bonneville/Ural rig by about 25%. The 2WD one is illegal as the chair is on the wrong side. The Ural has practical features like the reverse gear but has disadvantages in terms of low cruising speed (50 mph vs 65) and low service intervals (3000 miles vs 6000). Reliability i'd rate at about equal for a new Ural against a 4 year old Triumph. I could get a 2004/5 Ural for the same as the Triumph and chair, but would then rate the reliability lower as the reason for selling at that age usually seems to be impatience on the run in or failed attempts to run at motorway speeds.

I ride the Triumph on tracks and can't see how it will perform less well that a 3x1 Ural. It's the tyres that make the big difference (got semi knobblies) and not getting stopped mid trail on stuff that IMHO neither bike would handle. I never had an issue with ground clearance although that is an advantage of the Ural.

IMHO heart says Ural, head says Triumph, at least for now, I think Ural are catching up fast. When the Triumph has enough miles to be worth getting rid of, I will go look at Urals, but it would need a change in the law to allow 3x2's or FI (for range and no carb balancing) and another 10 HP to get me to buy.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 AM   #45
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie
. The Ural ........ has disadvantages in terms of low cruising speed (50 mph vs 65)
Hi Andy

I don`t know where you get that from,mate.
Although my 650 Ural combo only really wants to travel at 50-55mph....my 750 Ural will do 60-65mph all day long,quite happily,even three up.
And it`s a 750 being talked about here,isn`t it?
It`ll even hold its own on the very few times I use motorways.

In fact,on many trips,other traffic is slowing me down.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote