PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKinNJ
I have a 2007 Patrol with about 2000K on it:

Replaced the flasher unit twice.
Replaced the Headlight.
Transmission went at 1800K - it was off the road for over a month in August while the trans was pulled and sent back to the factory (all under warranty).

Lots of fun and unique to drive, especially using 2WD in the snow and dirt roads - feels like a three-wheeled Jeep.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Id buy one again but only as a 2nd or third bike. [/font]
is that 2000 miles?

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #62
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraldog
22000KMs on the Retro running better than the beamer
What year is your Retro?
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #63
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill
is that 2000 miles?
No, kilometers. URALs still come with metric gauges, right?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #64
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee
No, kilometers. URALs still come with metric gauges, right?
ahhh, dumb me.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #65
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418

Why do you want a Ural Gear Up?

'Cause everything else is just useless in the nasty and snow. All summer long I've put up with two wheel dweebs sayin' my Ural is a pokey-ass relic good for only carrying the picnic.

Hah!

Where's yer adventure ride now? Under six inches of snow while you ride the smelly bus! Hah! Hah!

That'll learn ya for not havin' engagable two-wheel drive! Hah!

I've spent the entire day getting the glad eye from all the cops, blowin' rooster tails over the pathetic cagers, and chewing up powder at high speed where cross country skiers fear to tread. Bloody Rooski bike ain't a feared of a little snow and solid sheet ice roads.

You want a Ural, oh yes!

[thx to Dr Jim for the opportunity to tear-ass around the neighborhood]

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #66
boatmole
Druken Wildebeest

Oddometer: 84
Cool2 ural Owners-should I buy one?

Yep, Urals are loads of fun and reasonably prices. I have had 2 2005 Patrols and one 2002 Bavarian Classic. I'm partial to 2005 hand newer, others may have different opinions, especially if they own an older bike, but we have good luck with the 05 and later. So far no breakdowns, but of course we are always checking everything before taking a trip and spot check along the way.

Urals are getting better every year, with every year a new batch of upgrades, 2008 are better than ever.

Most versitle are the Patrols, 2 wheel drive come in handy for playing in the snow, sand or water crossings. If your into nostalgic coolness get a Retro model, guarenteeded to keep you busy answering questions at rest stops.

Yep, they are slow by modern driving trends. We never drove over 50 mph on the freeway when breaking in the bikes, and never over 55mph after. We have never had a single irate driver lay on a horn when we did 50 mph, none once. Everyone loves the Urals and slows down to gawk and point, most driver are to smart to even entertain the notion of being rude, most can figure out we are going as fast as I can peddle.....lol.

Funny thing about the speed of the Ural, even after hopping off our Gl1800 Goldwing, I don't realy think about how fast we are going on our Ural, as the world seems to slow down on the freeways, and on the back roads the world just seems so much bigger, the trees smell better, worth slowing down to take a look.
boatmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #67
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozola
Why do you want a Ural Gear Up?

'Cause everything else is just useless in the nasty and snow. All summer long I've put up with two wheel dweebs sayin' my Ural is a pokey-ass relic good for only carrying the picnic.

Hah!

Where's yer adventure ride now? Under six inches of snow while you ride the smelly bus! Hah! Hah!

That'll learn ya for not havin' engagable two-wheel drive! Hah!

I've spent the entire day getting the glad eye from all the cops, blowin' rooster tails over the pathetic cagers, and chewing up powder at high speed where cross country skiers fear to tread. Bloody Rooski bike ain't a feared of a little snow and solid sheet ice roads.

You want a Ural, oh yes!

[thx to Dr Jim for the opportunity to tear-ass around the neighborhood]
All of which just goes to show that Bozola has:

Hair enough for his Heidenau's ....

I actually got about 100 feet down the block on my GS/Ural rig before the industrial-strength Wire-ties I was trying to use like tire chain substitutes expired with a simple twist of my right wrist - Ka-wah! Plonk!, Plonk!, Plonk!

MERDE!

Wonder Wart-Hack, got pushed ignobly into the garage - now it's back to the drawing boards for a better traction device - or time to get some more aggressive rubber.

I will say that Bozola and the Bozzette looked cute as beans as they puttered off in their Gear-up through the falling snow, full of cheap wine and New England Boiled dinner:

"Parsnips, Rutabagas, Turnips, and Urals - OH MY!"

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #68
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Thumb More Ural winter madness.......................

Howdy All,

Check the Ride Reports Forum, there you will find my newest ride report detailing winter Ural-a-ling FUN. The name of the report is

"Ural-a-ling to the snowmobile store"

Enjoy.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #69
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy All,

Check the Ride Reports Forum, there you will find my newest ride report detailing winter Ural-a-ling FUN. The name of the report is

"Ural-a-ling to the snowmobile store"

Enjoy.
Thanks Mr Cob, Going there now. I see there is an '08 Gear-Up on E-Bay right now in CA. Are the California models any different...more emissions crap?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #70
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini
Thanks Mr Cob, Going there now. I see there is an '08 Gear-Up on E-Bay right now in CA. Are the California models any different...more emissions crap?
Howdy dirtymartini,

If it is a California rig, yes it will have a whole bunch of crap hung on it, of course someone might steal all that stuff, just sayin.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #71
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #72
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
I too am inquisitive about the Ural rigs. After reading this entire thread, I am curious about cold weather operation.

How does the Ural start in cold weather, say parked at 10-20F for a day. How do the rigs like synthetic oils, or is that a no-no?

Is the alternator/ electrical system up to providing enough power for an electric jacket?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Thanks, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #73
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,352
Mine starts every morning just fine even down to -20f. I will have to say I should have pulled that 60wt out of the tranny when I did my last oil change. It really doesn't like to kick below zero right now.
I haven't got too many uploaded yet but here are a few Winter pictures for you.
http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/gallery/6...36520508_aL7gR

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #74
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini
What year is your Retro?
the Retro is a 2007 and yes it is 22,000 kms on the clock- I ride allot - but the Retro gets ridden more than the guzzis or the beamer
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #75
dirtymartini OP
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR
Mine starts every morning just fine even down to -20f. I will have to say I should have pulled that 60wt out of the tranny when I did my last oil change. It really doesn't like to kick below zero right now.
I haven't got too many uploaded yet but here are a few Winter pictures for you.
http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/gallery/6...36520508_aL7gR

All of these snow riding pictures are convincing me I need to have two wheel drive. There is almost a foot of snow on the ground here.