User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Thumb Concours C14 thread

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, and absolutely love it. The smoothness and the power of this bike never ceases to impress. Here's some pics from the Thanksgiving holiday.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Shorty
carpe'diem ona motorcycle

Oddometer: 456
Look'n Good!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,469
Lovely looking machine. Would love to get one.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Nice pics!!

Lovely aren't they!!!
I've had mine now a little over a year with about 25,000km up, seriously nice alround bike; mine's also black.... shines up so nice don't they!!!

Enjoy!!, you'll have a long and good ride if you can keep your license
HyperPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

you're right, Pete.

I've found myself saying "You're going to get yourself in trouble on this bike."

I have two pictures at my desk at work. One of my daughter, and one of my Connie.

www.iamsecond.com
Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,145
Congratulations McGee The Connie looks great...from KLR to Connie wow
Nice job - FlagRS
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
fantastic machine indeed. ive had mine six months and im right at 15k miles. i marvel in it every time i see her still! she does soften up with some age though, but still very sharp and powerful. definately the best bike ive ever owned.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,976
G'Day Pete!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrpete
Nice pics!!

Lovely aren't they!!!
I've had mine now a little over a year with about 25,000km up, seriously nice alround bike; mine's also black.... shines up so nice don't they!!!

Enjoy!!, you'll have a long and good ride if you can keep your license
Hey Pete, and TJ too I see!!!
Yeah, I made my way over here also....Got fed up with some of the stuff on my "Parent Forum"

I got the first one in Richmond, (see my avitar with Momma on the back, on the Dragon...) a year and a half ago, and with a little over 12k on it now, it just don't get any better!!! Wanted the Black one, but had no choice but to buy Neutron....
Did Ya get ABS Angus???.... first time it kicks in you'll be wondering why every bike doesn't have it...awesome.... not that i use the brakes all that much.....

Hurry up and burn those trashy (not really, they are great for 3 or 4k) tires off, and treat yourself to some Pilot Road II's....

Ride safe, and hire a good attourney.....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES

Hurry up and burn those trashy (not really, they are great for 3 or 4k) tires off, and treat yourself to some Pilot Road II's....

Ride safe, and hire a good attourney.....
+1+ A tire change does wonders for this bike.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I can't imagine it getting much better than it is now. No, I didn't get ABS.. The dealership had two. Mine, and a red one with ABS.. I wanted black more than I wanted ABS, so that's how I went. If they had a black one with ABS, I would have went that way.

Sure is a far cry from the KLR... I can't say I miss it much. The guy who bought it keeps in touch with me to let me know how it's goin'. He seems to like it, so I'm happy for him.

www.iamsecond.com
Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
mob, glad to see ya! if im not the one stirring the pot, i try to stay out of some of that stuff. oh, i do love stirring the pot though...

heres mine:

and with the new kawi trunk:

yes, the pr2's are wonderful tires! on my next set though, im gonna try the shinko 009 ravens. ive heard great things about them as far as traction and life. for $170 shipped to my door, its a worthwhile experiment. if im less than happy, ill run back to the michelins without looking back!

ive got 8k approx on my pr2's and my rear is just starting to get a flat ring around the center, but still has lots of life left in it. the front looks new. theyve been on the dragon and surrounding roads, all sorts of interstate and two laners, and they have seen their fare share of off roading as well. btw, the c14 wasnt designed for dual sport, and it shows! i hit some roads in north carolina i wasnt sure id make it through without dropping her and dragging her down the mountain im surprised i made it down with all my bolts and panels still intact!

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB

tjhess74 screwed with this post 12-02-2008 at 06:33 PM
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,479
Okay, I've got to ask this.

I read a magazine review a while ago comparing Sport Tourers. The Connie came in 2nd from last, and they said if their Yamaha hadn't had an Automatic transmission, the Connie would have been last.

There was a long list of things they didn't like about it, the biggest one of which was that they said it wasn't nearly as fast or powerful compared to some of the smaller-displacement ones like the K1200GT.

What gives? Any truth to this?
The magazine said the only thing this bike did better than the rest was riding long wheelies.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
Shorty

C14 Slower and less powerfull than the smaller bikes, yet rides better/longer wheelies?

Skippii, nice try! - Ok, I'll bite
The C14 may not be not perfect for everyone (what is?)
BUT This bike is about the engine. And the rest of the bike is pretty good too.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
kutch
That fell off where?

Oddometer: 583
Wait a min...
From what I remember the bike is stupid fast...

Link to write up

"the new Connie will be cranking out somewhere in the neighborhood of 140-plus ponies. Still far above the respective 124.2 and 123.8 rear-wheel horsepower numbers we gathered from the BMW K1200GT and Yamaha FJR1300 during last year's ST comparo."

"This bike not only hauls," explains Tom, "but vibration is very minimal and once it is underway the bike is smooth as glass."

"Also contributing to the superb braking performance was the $900-optional ABS system fitted on our test bike. Unlike BMW's ABS system, the Concours package is not linked. As an R1200GS owner, our rider knows a thing or two about ABS and came away impressed that the independent wheel system on the Connie does its thing without any pulsating sensation."

"Looking at the big picture, there are no losers in this test. Learn to trust the BMW and it won't let you down. If handling is more important than power, then Yamaha has just what you're looking for. In fact the FJR put up an excellent fight, giving the Concours a run for its money and even winning over one tester. But sometimes size does matter. In this case the monster engine of the Kawasaki coupled with its smooth fuel injection, perfect ergonomics and almost perfect handling seals the deal for Team Green. But only just."
Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #15
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
What everyone seems to overlook with this bike,... is potential.
This is an 'over-built' motorcycle, and the engine in its stock state of tune is ridiculously under stressed.
Spend an afternoon and remove the belly fairing, side panels and gas tank. Open up the two inspection plates above the intake manifold, and remove the four secondary throttle plates. Plug in a Power Commander, and slide on an aftermarket canister if you want to lose 10 pounds, and then take it out for another spin.
You'll have a whole different ride with an extra 25 horsepower available right from idle.
Try that with the beemer or an FJ.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote