User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
SByota OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
FZ1 to ?

Current ride is a 2003 FZ1 with a ton of farkles. Ivan's jet kit, slip on, reworked suspension front and rear (springs, gold valves, valving) renthal bars, Corbin seat the list goes one. Has 34k miles and rides great.

My primary riding is a 22 mile boring slab commute to work. There is an alternate route, it's 35 miles and WAY more fun. I alternate between the two based on how quick I need to get home or to work.

With a 3 month old son, fun rides with the buds are few and far between. The wife has no interest in riding on the back.

The FZ1 is a great bike and a missile once the tach swings past 7k. The problem is that it doesn't see past 7k very often. Of course I wind it up through 1st and 2nd getting onto the freeway, but that drives the speed to 100+. I feel like I'm using a 12ga shotgun to kill flys riding this.

About me, 33 years old, 6'4", 240lbs. Lots of dirt experience, moto x racing and desert riding. One year of street/commuting experience.

I'm thinking along the lines of it would be better to ride a smaller bike and use more of it. Any suggestions? SV 650, VFR, Street Triple, FZ8, FZ09 or ?
SByota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Gear your FZ1 down a tooth on the front
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
budsboy
Well-Seasoned

Oddometer: 113
The SV650 is a great bike - best road bike for the money/used.
budsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,497
Seems like you have the Fz set up for your size. If you're happy with the year and mileage, depending on how money would play out in your scenerio, I'd keep the FZ1.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Seems like you have the Fz set up for your size. If you're happy with the year and mileage, depending on how money would play out in your scenerio, I'd keep the FZ1.
This! from a fellow FZ1 owner, whatever you do SByota, make sure you keep the FZ1 while you get another ride to be sure... cause you might regret selling it.

Do you really want smaller and have to shift more during your commute?
RCmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
RC.
Cola

Oddometer: 90
Keep it. Just because you have all that power doesn't mean you need to use it all the time. But when you want to, it will be there. And for 22mi of (super?)slab each way it sounds perfect.
RC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
My first thought was

Early dementia has struck.. You have your FZ1 just the way you want it. But because you don't redline it often, you are thinking of a smaller engine!

Given your size, you will look like a monkey fu@@ing a football on a smaller bike.

Keep what you have and spend the extra dough on your son!!
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Alexander B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
From FZ1 to FS1?

Alexander B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,185
from one desert racing, six foot + guy with a baby at home to another, keep whatever bike you have now and if anything try and add to your collection if possible because anything you sell probably wont be replaced if for anything else, life happens.
I have a Speed Triple for my fun bike and its pretty dammed fun..... geared way lower and way more useable power band.

plus they look cool and sound amazing
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I've never owned, but have ridden a first gen FZ1. Wow, what a great bike! I would think it would be hard to rode something with a lot less power after being used ti what the FZ1 has.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I've ridden an FZ1 for many miles and I've owned an SV650 for 2+ years (10k miles).

After riding the FZ1, I would not want to ride the SV. The SV is a fun little bike on it's own, but the FZ1 is awesome too.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Unless you want a different type of bike (dual-sport, cruiser, etc.), why sell a known bike you like for an unknown bike you possibly might like?

Keep the FZ1
Old 09-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
A new FZ1 with ABS?

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,482
Big bore sumoto. You ride solo 100%? Hell, even a WRR sumoto. I prefer a 450/5XX KTM but there are lots of options. Honkin brakes, wheelie power, light weight.

You are a dirt guy, ride what ya know!

Or check out my Ninja 300 in the 300 thread and see the KTM 390 released this winter...
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by SByota View Post
Current ride is a 2003 FZ1 with a ton of farkles. Ivan's jet kit, slip on, reworked suspension front and rear (springs, gold valves, valving) renthal bars, Corbin seat the list goes one. Has 34k miles and rides great.

My primary riding is a 22 mile boring slab commute to work. There is an alternate route, it's 35 miles and WAY more fun. I alternate between the two based on how quick I need to get home or to work.

With a 3 month old son, fun rides with the buds are few and far between. The wife has no interest in riding on the back.

The FZ1 is a great bike and a missile once the tach swings past 7k. The problem is that it doesn't see past 7k very often. Of course I wind it up through 1st and 2nd getting onto the freeway, but that drives the speed to 100+. I feel like I'm using a 12ga shotgun to kill flys riding this.

About me, 33 years old, 6'4", 240lbs. Lots of dirt experience, moto x racing and desert riding. One year of street/commuting experience.

I'm thinking along the lines of it would be better to ride a smaller bike and use more of it. Any suggestions? SV 650, VFR, Street Triple, FZ8, FZ09 or ?
First suggestion.....sprockets, change them, gear that bitch out.

As to the rest, the Street Triple R is one of my favorite bikes that I have never owned.....of course I've had a speed triple for 12 years and a Daytona 675 for 6......
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote