User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
wvtaco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Tank mounted speedometer glare vn1700

My father recently got his first new bike, a left over 2013 Vulcan 1700 nomad.
He was looking for a two up mile eater and found a great deal on it after eyeballing a 10k more road king. He's put about 500 miles on it in a week or so but during our first night time trip he was complaining of the speedometer glaring on the windsheild right where he needs to look through. We adjusted the windsheild up and down, that didn't fix it. I tried spacing/ leaning the windsheild forward/ more vertical, that didn't seem to help. Couldn't figure out how to lay it down more because of the way it is mounted.

The speedometer isn't dimable and glows bright white. I saw Kawasaki offer a chrome glare reducer but it didn't do anything, I suspect they meant for the sun.

I am out of ideas other than tinting the glass but I am afraid you won't be able to see it during the day and removing the shield or cluster is a no go either. Do you have any suggestion or ideas how to fix this?

Here is the bike in question when we were bringing it home.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,730
If the glass is flat then maybe you can cut a piece to fit from an anti-glare (matte) screen protector for an ipad? It is removable.

LIKE THESE ON EBAY
Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
wvtaco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It has a slight bow to it but not much.
Hadn't thought about that or one of those clear privacy screen may work too.

Internet pic
Old 06-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
u wish u could ride
SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer: 134
very nice looking cycle! how does she ride? I never had a chance to ride one but did like the feel of it sitting on it. if fact felt just a compy as my Electra glide standard. I love the pully look way better than the drive shaft!!good luck with it.
u wish u could ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 880
Point of clarification: are you concerned about sun glancing off the speedo making it hard to read? Or sun glancing off the speedo and throwing glare on the windshield? Or the backlight of the speedo creating glare off the windshield at night?

Sounds like the third. If so, maybe fab up a hood that makes the speedo still readable but blocks the light on the way to the windshield? That would have the added benefit of putting the speedo in shade during the day, making it easier to read.

An anti-glare film might help too.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by u wish u could ride View Post
very nice looking cycle! how does she ride? I never had a chance to ride one but did like the feel of it sitting on it. if fact felt just a compy as my Electra glide standard. I love the pully look way better than the drive shaft!!good luck with it.
I have an '07 1600 Nomad and it is just comfy as hell. Rides very nice. I did a Dobeck Fuel processor, Caddman Air kit and Cobra Longs, and it made the bike pretty much perfect.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #7
wvtaco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by u wish u could ride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
Point of clarification: are you concerned about sun glancing off the speedo making it hard to read? Or sun glancing off the speedo and throwing glare on the windshield? Or the backlight of the speedo creating glare off the windshield at night?

Sounds like the third. If so, maybe fab up a hood that makes the speedo still readable but blocks the light on the way to the windshield? That would have the added benefit of putting the speedo in shade during the day, making it easier to read.

An anti-glare film might help too.
Yes the third.
Glare at night from the backlight of the cluster to the windshield.

I took some pictures of the display at night. The glare in our field of view. Then the glare "reducer" from Kawasaki.

As for the bike, for a big cruiser it is great. Seems geared really tall. I use 3rd and 4th a lot of the 55 mph twisty back roads. 6th is happier above 65-70mph. I set the air shocks to about 8psi and it gives a great ride. I did 4 hrs straight on it when bringing it home and could of easily did ten more without an issue. I love the belt drive and hydraulic lifters nice low maintance. First bike I've road with cruise, it's the best thing ever. I still like my vstrom better for every day riding but I can see the appeal of the big girl.