ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Nemosengineer OP
Hair Ball
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Murrieta
Oddometer: 1,000
Are Tail Racks On Street Bikes Dead?

Dumb little package racks are so handy I can't live without one. When commuting there priceless, laptop, rain gear, bike cover, and lunch all in a bag strapped to the rack, two or three day tours, everything in one bag strapped to the rack.
I have noticed a trend lately, its either the top case on a rack or full on touring luggage. I have been down that road before both of these options bug the hell out of me as most of the time they're just too much, I keep thinking I would have a better time without all that junk behind me.
So are there any "less is more" Road Warriors out there toughing it with just a tail rack and a tank bag? Lets see your rig.

[IMG][/IMG]

Best Wishes: Mike
__________________
"An ill-assorted collection of poorly-matching parts, forming a distressing whole."
Nemosengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
fecundity
Adventurer
 
fecundity's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 69
I've used this cheap small tankbag for years. I've got a Hepco Becker rack on my other bike that accepts a topcase, best of both worlds.
Attached Images
 
fecundity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
fecundity
Adventurer
 
fecundity's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 69
The Suzuki with HB rack.
Attached Images
 
fecundity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:48 AM   #4
oughtsix
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 189
I use a stretchy cargo net hooked to the passenger grab rails. Can fit minimal camping gear and a change of clothes under it for lightweight weekend trips....
__________________
2004 FZ6, BLUE!
oughtsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #5
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire UK
Oddometer: 991
Guzzi runs like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I switch to the full seat if the wife wants to come along, throwovers for longer trips.

The top box and full Touratech panniers to Starbucks thing is just fashion like people used to wear kneesliders and humped one piece leathers.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #6
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,930
Tailracks are great. I love them. I like a lockable tailtrunk, but most of the time I just strap stuff the tailrack.

My CB350 has an original hondaline one that's huge. But it makes the bike waaaaay more versatile.
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
eMKay
Adventurer
 
eMKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Buffalo, NY
Oddometer: 34
Tail racks look strange on sport bikes I think, I put a tail pack on the pillion seat but it's a pain to throw my leg over it every time. Yesterday I dug out my backpack and took the pack off. But I don't like riding with a backpack, and I think tank bags are silly unless cruising. So what to do? I ain't buying an NC700
__________________
2013 Triumph Street Triple
eMKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #8
Tim_Tom
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: High Desert, CA
Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Tail racks look strange on sport bikes I think, I put a tail pack on the pillion seat but it's a pain to throw my leg over it every time. Yesterday I dug out my backpack and took the pack off. But I don't like riding with a backpack, and I think tank bags are silly unless cruising. So what to do? I ain't buying an NC700
Tank bags are silly until you use one. The most convenient luggage out there. Have you tried putting you leg over your seat instead of swinging over the tail bag? Seems that would solve your problem too.

I typically just strap my dry bag and tent to the back seat. No need for a rack.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,930
Sounds like you need to work on your hip flexibility and lower body strength, eMKay.
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Mobiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
Dumb little package racks are so handy I can't live without one. When commuting there priceless, laptop, rain gear, bike cover, and lunch all in a bag strapped to the rack, two or three day tours, everything in one bag strapped to the rack.
I have noticed a trend lately, its either the top case on a rack or full on touring luggage. I have been down that road before both of these options bug the hell out of me as most of the time they're just too much, I keep thinking I would have a better time without all that junk behind me.
So are there any "less is more" Road Warriors out there toughing it with just a tail rack and a tank bag? Lets see your rig.


Best Wishes: Mike
I ride with a top box almost all the time. Frankly, I never even know its back there while I'm riding. Handy as all get out.
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #11
EddyB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Oddometer: 212
Answer is NO! Ventura seems to be making racks for every new bike including liter superbikes: http://www.ventura-mca.com/
EddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #12
marty_uiuc
moran
 
marty_uiuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: people's republic of, CA
Oddometer: 291
I just wish companies would still make those little tail packs like what used to come on dual sports. They're great for holding a few tools, registration, zip ties, etc...
__________________
the D in your DEMOT
marty_uiuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #13
kirb
should be out riding
 
kirb's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Musky, MI
Oddometer: 1,836
Setup most of the time now (tail bag, no tank bag): http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/...d-bobbins.html

I started with a rear rack for anything: http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/...tallation.html

Modified the rack for anything + a topcase:
http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/...m-topcase.html

It's flexible and useful.
__________________
A Ducati, some Guzzi, a KTM, and a Excelsior...Indian in resto.
kirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
eMKay
Adventurer
 
eMKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Buffalo, NY
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Tank bags are silly until you use one. The most convenient luggage out there. Have you tried putting you leg over your seat instead of swinging over the tail bag? Seems that would solve your problem too.

I typically just strap my dry bag and tent to the back seat. No need for a rack.
Tried both ways, both equally annoying. I'll use the pack when I need it, I just won't leave it on the bike
__________________
2013 Triumph Street Triple
eMKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #15
eMKay
Adventurer
 
eMKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Buffalo, NY
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Sounds like you need to work on your hip flexibility and lower body strength, eMKay.
No, LOL, no I don't. I didn't say I couldn't do it, it's just annoying.
__________________
2013 Triumph Street Triple
eMKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015