User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
clark-kentski OP
PartiallyBionic

Oddometer: 897
Road King advice

Okay wifey wants a H-D Roadking,All her Harly buds are giving helpful ?? tips like,dont buy one pre 2006 because they didnt have twin cams and those motors sucked,and like all RKs are the same from 99 to 2003 ?and shovel heads are not dependable? personally im not against classic iron not gonna go in debt been there done that,im thinking of spending 9k ish any advice ?

Which one of you FF's was it?...Charter contributor
XR650R ?? Yes Doctor,that's the one.
clark-kentski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
rider33
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
It's a very well sorted out bike, I took one cross-country many times. In the 60,000 miles I put on an '04, I never encountered a problem, not one. Look for a clean, low milage twin cam, you are likely a few thousand below where you need to be but shop around. The bike is over-build, very stable, and well supported. The lifestyle marketing gets to be a bit much but the bike itself is a rock solid classic.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
maxscycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark-kentski View Post
Okay wifey wants a H-D Roadking, dont buy one pre 2006 because they didnt have twin cams. like all RKs are the same from 99 to 2003? not gonna go in debt

Twin cams came out in 1999. Roadkings are basically the same since 1994. But of course over the years they tweaked them from year to year. I am partial to the evolution engine. (pre-1999) Not quite a powerful but still more than enough to do the job and none of this pesky twin cam shoe problems.
max
maxscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,118
I have 2 friends with 1994 Roadkings, both with high miles. 1 of them has almost 200k miles on his! Neither one of them has had any problems, for what it's worth
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,188
If you are going to get a Road King, either get one with Delphi fuel injection or get a carbed version. I would tend to avoid the Marelli injection, which was used up to '01 or '02 (can't remember which). The marelli injection works well, it's just that certain parts are getting a bit more pricey and they require some finesse to get set up right. A lot of the new crop of Techs just don't have much experience with them.

Other than that I'd buy any EVO or Twin Cam road king, depending on which engine and features you want. In 2000 they got sealed wheel bearings and better brakes, so that would be a consideration too. As for the cam chain shoes, it's a hundred bucks or so worth of parts and an afternoon in the garage to change them if you know what you are doing. If not, figure about $200 to have them inspected, total of $800 or so if you have them replaced.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Replaced cam shoes on my '01 at 50k( they were shot ), other than that, just rode this carbed-version for 67k.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
If you are going to get a Road King, either get one with Delphi fuel injection or get a carbed version. I would tend to avoid the Marelli injection, which was used up to '01 or '02 (can't remember which). d.
I would agree. Delphis came out on the touring bikes in 02, and 01 on Softails. 02 was the last year of the timken bearing on the crank. Which is nice, but a must unless you build it up.

07 was first year of 6speed and 96" motor. 08 6 gallon tank and brembo brakes. 09 new frame.

You can get a good deal on the 88"s For a couple grand bore it to a 95" and have better bike then the 96".

TCs from 99 to part of the year in 2000 had ball bearings on the rear cam, and were failing. You can changed them out or just avoid that year.

For about 1k you can add a tourpak, which is damn nice to have.

I would also think about Electra Glide family, fairing is nice, and they come with a tourpak, which makes a nice seat for the wife. I have one of each.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,230
Before you buy a Road King, consider a street glide or electra glide. I liked my road king until I rode a a street glide and experianced the radio.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
chambersc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Everybody is full of excuses why you shouldn't buy one. Usually people who don't own one.

I have an 07 that I LOVE. Wouldn't have another highway bike. Perfectly versatile, bags or no bags, windshiled or no windshield; all quick release.

The 07 and later had the 6 speed and the 96" engine which I personally like. They also updated the cam shoe set up so it doesn't fail near like the 99-06's did. I've done 3 cam shoe jobs for other people and they aren't that bad to do. I rode an 80" evo bike for a long time too, and you can't go wrong with that either.

Outstanding motorcycle. It's hard to go wrong with just about any year. I have a buddy with a '99 with the odd-ball fuel injection on his and he's got 80k miles on it with no failures. We've done the cams shoes on his twice now though.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
In California there are a lot of EVO's for sale under your price range. This leaves you 2-3K dollars to do any maintenance or upgrades. In my opinion the Shovel Heads have basic engineering problems that can't be fixed, like overheating. If you ride a Shovel Head you have to be prepared for anything going wrong. In addition, a Shovel Head will cost more than a comparable EVO. If you are the type who enjoys checking E-Bay and swap meets, you can find a lot of good used parts for EVO's fairly cheap. The EVO maintenance is also old school. Very little work needs special tools, and most everything can be rebuilt for a fair price.
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
I love mine. It's an 05 and for around $500 you can get a kit to change the tensioners from the origional spring loaded to the newer style hydraulics. The kit also comes with a higher capacity oil pump that seems to help with cooling.
The bike chews up miles I've had 700 mile days on mine with the stock seat and new bars.
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 452
Shovelheads haven't been built since 1985, and were never installed in Road Kings, so that's a non-issue.

The 94-98 Evo motor bikes are great, the prices are reasonable, and lower mileage examples can be found, but you're gonna have to look for them.

The earlier (99-2001) Twin Cams are plentiful, prices still reasonable, but beware any that have 30K or more miles on them that haven't had the cam shoes replaced. I had a 2001 with the MM EFI, no problems, but as has been mentioned, is now a bit of an orphan.

The 2002-2006 RK's might be the best value. Stronger rear swingarm, Delphi EFI, and it's not uncommon to see 30K mile bikes for $8500.

The 2007 and later do have the 6 speed, the 2009 and later have the new frame, but prices are still in the 5-digit range.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
$9k is going to be a little light, other then high mileage. Though I have seen some Dynas and Softails in that range. You may have to bump it up a little.

Best to get out there and look and see what you can get.

I wouldn't be afraid of something in the 20-30k range. But all things equal, get lesser miles.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
clark-kentski OP
PartiallyBionic

Oddometer: 897
Thanks fellas,you sure gave me plenty to chew on Theres plenty of em for sale down here and im not in a great hurry, so i should do OK

Which one of you FF's was it?...Charter contributor
XR650R ?? Yes Doctor,that's the one.
clark-kentski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersc View Post
Everybody is full of excuses why you shouldn't buy one. Usually people who don't own one.
Usually people who don't own one and don't know anyone that owned one, but they have heard plenty on the internet.

I had an '04 Ultra that I put about 45k on before it was taken out by a daydreaming cager in 2007. Never had a problem, never leaked a drop of oil, had plenty of power. The only issue was the seat sucked, but I've had to put after market seats on yamahas, bmws and hondas too.

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote