Victory XC or XC-T 69 54.33%
HD Street/Elctra/Road-Glide 58 45.67%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Vitory XC vs HD xxxx-Glide

I'm making a switch. The Concours is a great bike, but it just doesn't seem to fit "me" as much as I liked. My wife is also wanting to ride 2 up and while the Concours is a capable touring machine I'm pushing 220 and my wife is 5'10'' and pushing 180lbs. We're not obese, but we sure as hell ain't small. As such I'm looking to go back to a bagger/cruiser style touring machine. All my buddies ride Harleys and I'm not against them at all, but I'm also not a nut-swinger for the brand and recognize that other makes are good as well. I had a Vaquero and while I liked the Vulcan it had its draw backs that keep me from wanting to go back, even though the price point is very tempting.

I've narrowed it down to the Victory Cross Country and the 2009+ HD Street/Electra-Glide or the 2015 Road Glide. The Victory has some nice detains to it that really appeal to me, but I've been around the Harley's and they do kind of set the standard. The new Rushmore treatment to the Road Glide is absolutely amazing, but pushes a bit outside what I want to spend.

I'll most likely be going out next Saturday to test ride the Victory and the new Road Glide, then I'm going to check out a decently priced 2009 Street Glide that fits the bill as well. I'll let my butt decide, and my wife's as well. I'd still like to get some relevant opinions/experiences to help with my decision making.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
For tall people, its victory all the way. Harlies are nice, but not as comfy for taller guys/gals as the Vics.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
I'm also 5'10'' so not tall at all. That is a valid point and if my father in law wasn't such a nut swinger I'd have him test ride the Victory, he is 6'7''
Old 03-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
I'm 6'4", our 2013 RGU suits us just fine. We looked at the XCT first but it didn't fit my wife's back right.
It's the first Harley I've ever owned, thus far it's been as advertised, and a lot better than I figured it would be. I'm sure I would have been happy with the Vic as well.
If I didn't need the tour pack on the RGU the new Chieftain would be another strong contender. Some great choices out there right now for sure. Good luck with whatever you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Check your PM's

2015 Harley-Davidson FLTRX
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
For tall people, its victory all the way. Harlies are nice, but not as comfy for taller guys/gals as the Vics.
I used to feel the same way, the stock seat on our RGU while comfortable does cramp me somewhat. I bought a like new tall boy seat off of CL, it makes the RGU fit me as good as the Vics I've ridden. The main difference is the pillion area is much better for my wife on the Harley. YMMV of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
Rogue_Ryder
速 Flat Biller 速

Oddometer: 7,640
The Victories are real nice looking bikes and if I were going to choose between the 2 bikes (NEW) I'd have to ride them both first to see what I liked better. But based on uniqueness and looks alone I'd chose the Victory over the H-D.

I just bought a Fat Bob, but if I had found as good of a deal on a Victory Hammer S (used) I prob would've bought the Vic.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I voted Harley, as I'm kinda partial to them, but to be honest there is a lot to like about the Victory as well. I could also be pretty happy riding one, or an Indian Chieftain.

I'm semi-tall (6'2" with long arms), I put an HD Tallboy seat on as I felt I was sitting on the gas tank, it's just perfect now. But I will admit some envy for those skateboard size floorboards on the Vic.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,903
Get the Victory. The HD's really don't have that much room in the seating area we thought. Neither my Wife or I are big people, she's 5 foot even on a good day and a buck 10. I'm 5'7" and 170 and we were cramped on the HD's.

Bought the Vic XC, tossed on a BDD rack and backrest and she loves it and so do I. Added a fueler and a timing wheel and she hauls.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamming View Post
Get the Victory. The HD's really don't have that much room in the seating area we thought. Neither my Wife or I are big people, she's 5 foot even on a good day and a buck 10. I'm 5'7" and 170 and we were cramped on the HD's.

Bought the Vic XC, tossed on a BDD rack and backrest and she loves it and so do I. Added a fueler and a timing wheel and she hauls.
That's interesting. I'm 5'11 and MrsSperz is 5'10 and we feel more comfortable on the Harley. It's all subjective I suppose.

1998 Suzuki DR350se
Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Ryder View Post

I just bought a Fat Bob, but if I had found as good of a deal on a Victory Hammer S (used) I prob would've bought the Vic.

The Hammer S is a hellava motorcycle. Probably the best handling bike they have produced.

1998 Suzuki DR350se
Old 03-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
txwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
I voted Victory. We have a Vic XCT, and the HD just really didn't do it for me. Good ergo's, but not what I wanted.
We got off a Wing, and as far as Txwife is concerned, it is the gold bar standard for passengers. It was also a great bike but hurt me to ride much, guess I'm not as limber as I once was. Anyway, it took an aftermarket seat to make the Vic what we wanted, but knew that going in, and we have never liked an OEM saddle, FWIW.
Don't ride the HD like the Connie, it won't hold up, but really does have an alter ego up there.
Grip and rip the Vic, it is made to run higher revs, although both are much less than you are probably used to.
If it helps, I'm 6'1" and Txwife is 5'4".

Happy Shopping
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,458
You may know this but but in case you don't.....HDs aren't know for much suspension travel and the Street Glide has 1" shorter rear shocks than the Electra/Ultra Glides. I have a '12 Road Glide Custom.....basically a Street Glide with the Road Glide shark nose frame mounted fairing and the shorter shocks. I swapped the shorter Shocks for a set of 13" Ohlins. I traded an '06 Street Glide for the Road Glide and find the Road much roomier than the Street/Electras with the Batwing fairing.

No experience with Victory so I'll refrain from voting but between the 2 HDs I'd choose the Roadie with the longer shocks. I think the Roadie with the standard tour pack comes with the longer shocks so unless you get a Custom it's not an issue...just wanted to let you know comparing a Street Glide to Electra is truly an apples to apples when loaded with a passenger.....the extra 1" makes a big difference in ride quality.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #14
Shotzie
Banned

Oddometer: 122
Umm...well go for the most torque.
Shotzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #15
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
That's interesting. I'm 5'11 and MrsSperz is 5'10 and we feel more comfortable on the Harley. It's all subjective I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotzie View Post
Umm...well go for the most torque.
Totally subjective we spent a day on a friends 2013 EG Ultra and then a test on the XC...bought the XC

Shotzie...its settled then. The Victory it is...the HD produces around 88 ft/lbs of torque stock. The 106 CI Victory Freedom engine...100 ish....stock
I've got a fueler, the glass pac mod and the Lloyds timing wheel on my Victory. A buddy has an HD 103CI EG with a fueler, cams(don't know the profile) and pipes. If I get into it on the on-ramp, he's chasing.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote