User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Nemosengineer OP
Hair Ball

Oddometer: 1,000
Are Tail Racks On Street Bikes Dead?

Dumb little package racks are so handy I can't live without one. When commuting there priceless, laptop, rain gear, bike cover, and lunch all in a bag strapped to the rack, two or three day tours, everything in one bag strapped to the rack.
I have noticed a trend lately, its either the top case on a rack or full on touring luggage. I have been down that road before both of these options bug the hell out of me as most of the time they're just too much, I keep thinking I would have a better time without all that junk behind me.
So are there any "less is more" Road Warriors out there toughing it with just a tail rack and a tank bag? Lets see your rig.

[IMG][/IMG]

Best Wishes: Mike
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
fecundity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I've used this cheap small tankbag for years. I've got a Hepco Becker rack on my other bike that accepts a topcase, best of both worlds.
Attached Images

fecundity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
fecundity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
The Suzuki with HB rack.
Attached Images

fecundity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:48 AM   #4
oughtsix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I use a stretchy cargo net hooked to the passenger grab rails. Can fit minimal camping gear and a change of clothes under it for lightweight weekend trips....
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #5
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Guzzi runs like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I switch to the full seat if the wife wants to come along, throwovers for longer trips.

The top box and full Touratech panniers to Starbucks thing is just fashion like people used to wear kneesliders and humped one piece leathers.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #6
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,930
Tailracks are great. I love them. I like a lockable tailtrunk, but most of the time I just strap stuff the tailrack.

My CB350 has an original hondaline one that's huge. But it makes the bike waaaaay more versatile.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
eMKay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Tail racks look strange on sport bikes I think, I put a tail pack on the pillion seat but it's a pain to throw my leg over it every time. Yesterday I dug out my backpack and took the pack off. But I don't like riding with a backpack, and I think tank bags are silly unless cruising. So what to do? I ain't buying an NC700
Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #8
Tim_Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Tail racks look strange on sport bikes I think, I put a tail pack on the pillion seat but it's a pain to throw my leg over it every time. Yesterday I dug out my backpack and took the pack off. But I don't like riding with a backpack, and I think tank bags are silly unless cruising. So what to do? I ain't buying an NC700
Tank bags are silly until you use one. The most convenient luggage out there. Have you tried putting you leg over your seat instead of swinging over the tail bag? Seems that would solve your problem too.

I typically just strap my dry bag and tent to the back seat. No need for a rack.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,930
Sounds like you need to work on your hip flexibility and lower body strength, eMKay.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
Dumb little package racks are so handy I can't live without one. When commuting there priceless, laptop, rain gear, bike cover, and lunch all in a bag strapped to the rack, two or three day tours, everything in one bag strapped to the rack.
I have noticed a trend lately, its either the top case on a rack or full on touring luggage. I have been down that road before both of these options bug the hell out of me as most of the time they're just too much, I keep thinking I would have a better time without all that junk behind me.
So are there any "less is more" Road Warriors out there toughing it with just a tail rack and a tank bag? Lets see your rig.

Best Wishes: Mike
I ride with a top box almost all the time. Frankly, I never even know its back there while I'm riding. Handy as all get out.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #11
EddyB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Answer is NO! Ventura seems to be making racks for every new bike including liter superbikes: http://www.ventura-mca.com/
EddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #12
marty_uiuc
moran

Oddometer: 291
I just wish companies would still make those little tail packs like what used to come on dual sports. They're great for holding a few tools, registration, zip ties, etc...
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #13
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,836
Setup most of the time now (tail bag, no tank bag): http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/...d-bobbins.html

I started with a rear rack for anything: http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/...tallation.html

Modified the rack for anything + a topcase:
http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/...m-topcase.html

It's flexible and useful.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
eMKay
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Tank bags are silly until you use one. The most convenient luggage out there. Have you tried putting you leg over your seat instead of swinging over the tail bag? Seems that would solve your problem too.

I typically just strap my dry bag and tent to the back seat. No need for a rack.
Tried both ways, both equally annoying. I'll use the pack when I need it, I just won't leave it on the bike
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #15
eMKay
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Sounds like you need to work on your hip flexibility and lower body strength, eMKay.
No, LOL, no I don't. I didn't say I couldn't do it, it's just annoying.