Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #151
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
I read that RR the other day. Good stuff!

I'm getting one of those espresso pots you used.

If I can get the shims I need Monday and get the bike back together in time, I have four days to go for a little trip of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto
I may not do another valve inspection since the first/last one at 36,000 had all in spec (but one was at the tight limit). Alright, I may do ONE more at 60,000 miles.

4 days after the valve inspection, and with just a cursory ride around the block...I took off on a 5400 mile trip.

This is a superlative motorcycle for me. It does everything I need and has been very reliable.

I hope to keep this one for many more miles. With the exception of the '95 C10 I owned, the most miles I've ever gotten on a motorcycle before totalling it or blowing the motor is 59,988.

I'm at 42,000 with the C14...here's to hoping for 100k crash free miles!
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #152
RydinFool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Frankly, who cares if it's the fastest, or has the most hp? It's a damn fine bike, and more than fast enough for anyone who wants to use it for what it was designed for. Sport touring.

Can we get this thread back on track, pls.?

I'm with you. Actually, I think the Connie is too much. Although, I wouldn't mind having one. I have an ST 1300, and an Electra Glide and both have more than enough power to tour. Each is different and satisfying in it's own way. I try to tell younger folks (dreamers) they can run coast to coast on just about anything. Run what ya brung. The Marketing people are all about bigger, faster, blah, blah, blah, but "back in the day" people rode all over, long distances with leaky ass Harley's, Triumphs and oil tight BMW's with four speed transmissions. Today, I think just about any 650 can do the same. Really, we have more in common with someone on a scooter than those in cages. Here's an example of motorcyling at it's best (imho). A buddy of mine and I found a Triumph shop in New Hampshire, that specializes in old Brit bikes. The founder was a Triumph dealer for years. I read an article telling how he built a drag strip out behind his shop for the boys to run their bikes on Friday nights. Now that's what the motorcyling brotherhood is all about. Just folks getting together and running their stuff. Anybody know a dealer that let's you race behind his shop today? That's my plug for peace. Enjoy your ride. C U on the road.
IBA #33670
Wee Strom, HD Electra Glide, KLR 650, Triumph Bonneville, 86 BMW R80 cafe racer, 1986 HD Wide Glide- the last one with a kickstart, 1987 BMW R80RT, Suzuki DR 350
RydinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #153
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

The thread was off track??

It's a C-14 thread....uhhh... We were talking about C-14s.

....well....we were, until you started talking about Harleys & Brit bikes. Owned them too & they are also tons of fun.

Back to C-14 stuff:
Only need 7 shims to complete the valve job. Finally found the shims at HotCams but I'm going to give my dealer a check tomorrow in the hope that they'll be willing to swap some shims. Not holding my breath, but its worth a try.

Also found my valve cover gasket to be leaking a little in the #1 cylinder side. I've seen this discussed in several threads and it seems to be attributed to the valve cover bolts bottoming-out at their shoulders before the gasket is under sufficient pressure. Simple fix though.

**edit** Had some time while awaiting new shims so I also removed the radiator for cleaning. Nothing shocking there but I did find that my exhaust header fasteners were LOOSE. Several were hand-tight! If you haven't checked these, it's worth a look next time you have the fairings off. Raditor is easy to remove and the whole thing only takes about 30 mins.

This valve shim adjustment really isn't that bad once you get into it. The worst thing is getting the damned valve cover off so once that's done all you have to do is keep from dropping crap into the crankcase and the rest is simple.

dhillr screwed with this post 11-12-2010 at 07:57 AM
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #154
Revan
Throttle Jockey

Oddometer: 127
Hello everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I currently own an '09 Connie, so I thought this would be a good thread to start with.

I picked up my C-14 early this past summer. I had been looking to find a reasonably priced long range sport-tourer and I found this one for about 10k (new). The ergos are very comfortable, handling is great, superb engine (smooth and powerful with good highway mileage), reliable shaft drive, standard side cases, adjustable windshield, strong brakes.....the list goes on. And with a standard 3 year warranty, I'm very happy with it, my only, slight, regret is not getting the ABS version.

At first, I was a little apprehensive about the seat height and the weight of the bike (at around 700lbs wet, it is a little beefy), but I have gotten used to managing the weight. At lower speeds (20-30mph) I feel that it maneuvers surprisingly well.....and at higher speeds, it's so steady and straight, it feels like the bike is running on rails.

I know the lack of low end has been a complaint for some, but it really doesn't bother me that much (at least right now). The bike already is deceptively fast (as some of the reviews on the bike have mentioned). Not to mention that it's fairly easy to get the engine to put out more power with some simple aftermarket mods (headers, exhaust, PCV, etc...).

Also, some people have had heat issues with the bike, but coming from 2 Buell's, I don't think the heat problem is that bad (I thought my 1125CR had way more of a heat problem). Plus, I have been reading that a lot of people have noticed a big decrease in heat by just getting rid of the stock headers (which have the cat's built right into the base of them).

As for the valve adjustments, I'll probably wait until around 20-25k to get mine done.....if I keep the bike that long.....as I am kinda eyeing the new Ninja 1000.

If anyone is looking for a nice sport-tourer for a decent price, take a look around for a leftover '09, I'm still finding them at dealerships for around 10-11k (with ABS).
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. -Jean Luc Picard
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #155
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome!

Welcome & thanks for reminding me how crappy of a deal I got on my C-14!

I got my 2009 back in October 2008 and paid......well..... let's just say I paid a lot.....

The heat has never really bothered me either but I had an '08 Harley Ultra that would cook your nads when sitting in traffic. The C-14 heat is nothing compared to that.

dhillr screwed with this post 11-09-2010 at 04:05 PM
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #156
Revan
Throttle Jockey

Thanks for the welcome.

Ouch, I'm sorry. Sounds like you got hit with that 'retail price' thing.....that sucks.

Too bad you don't live in the midwest, I know of a dealership up in Wisconsin that has really good prices (they are the ones I got my bike from). And one of the nice things that they do, is that they list the discount prices for their new bikes right on the website, instead of forcing you to call and play a guessing game.

Here are a few pics of my baby.

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. -Jean Luc Picard
Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #157
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

The black ones sure are pretty!

I went with the red.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the handling change once you burn through the stock tires. I only got about 5K out of mine.

Been running the Michelin Pilot Road 2's and got 11K out of the first set. On the second set now and they are also wearing very well.

I'm still waiting on 3 shims that the dealer didn't have so it looks like I will be riding the KLR for the rest of the week.

dhillr screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 05:28 AM
Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #158
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan
Thanks for the welcome.

Ouch, I'm sorry. Sounds like you got hit with that 'retail price' thing.....that sucks.

Too bad you don't live in the midwest, I know of a dealership up in Wisconsin that has really good prices (they are the ones I got my bike from). And one of the nice things that they do, is that they list the discount prices for their new bikes right on the website, instead of forcing you to call and play a guessing game.

Here are a few pics of my baby.

Well, give the dealership some free promo, spell out the name in bold letters.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #159
Revan
Throttle Jockey

Hehe, no problem. The dealership I got my Connie at was Don and Roy's in Brookfield WI (right outside of Milwaukee).

http://www.donandroys.com/default.asp

If you click on the "new inventory' tab at the top, they list everything they have with the discounts shown.

I just checked and they are still listing 2009's for 10k, and ABS versions are available for $700 more.

I must say that I do LOVE the red C-14's. I, actually, tried to get one in red, but they didn't have any available.

As for tires, I plan on replacing the stock ones in the spring.....probably getting a set of Shinko Raven's

I realize that Shinko tends to be a bad word with some, but I've had no problems with them.....they have always been good with handling and wear (at least for me).

Oh, and right off hand, does anyone know if the tire pressure sensors are covered under warranty, or are they an out-of-pocket thing? My back one has been out since right after I got the bike.

Thanks.

Revan.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #160
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Tire pressure sensors are covered under warranty becuase the batteries are supposed to last 5 years. The batteries are notoriously bad when it gets cold out.
Pretty simple fix once the tire is off the rim but the entire sensor must be replaced as the batteries are not replaceable.

A new sensor is about $150 if you have to buy it yourself. For that price I will definitely try to replace the "non-serviceable" battery myself. If I fail....no big deal as the thing is dead anyway.

Quote:
Hehe, no problem. The dealership I got my Connie at was Don and Roy's in Brookfield WI (right outside of Milwaukee).

http://www.donandroys.com/default.asp

If you click on the "new inventory' tab at the top, they list everything they have with the discounts shown.

I just checked and they are still listing 2009's for 10k, and ABS versions are available for $700 more.

I must say that I do LOVE the red C-14's. I, actually, tried to get one in red, but they didn't have any available.

As for tires, I plan on replacing the stock ones in the spring.....probably getting a set of Shinko Raven's

I realize that Shinko tends to be a bad word with some, but I've had no problems with them.....they have always been good with handling and wear (at least for me).

Oh, and right off hand, does anyone know if the tire pressure sensors are covered under warranty, or are they an out-of-pocket thing? My back one has been out since right after I got the bike.

Thanks.

Revan.

dhillr screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 09:02 AM
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #161
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:

Shinko tires ROCK. I ran the 006 podiums on my CBR600 for a track day, and loved them--though the did take a while to break in.
I also ran the 712s on my DL1000 and currently have them on my Ninja250.

I think I've used some of their other tires, too, but can't remember.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #162
Revan
Throttle Jockey

Cool, thanks for the TPS info......yeah, $150 is a little pricey. I'll get it checked out this spring when I get my tires changed....along with, maybe, getting some 90 degree valve stems.

And, HEY, another Shinko lover . I, usually, get the 009 Ravens from Motorcycle Superstore. I like the tread pattern on them, and I can get a full set for about $175 (with free shipping).
Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #163
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
im on my second set of 009 ravens. i get about 8k out of a rear and 10k out of a front. they really are good tires and have great wet traction. the only thing that takes some getting used to is that they tend to turn-in quicker than other brands. after a while, it feels like second nature.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #164
BDRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
One of you guys wanted to know a throttle lock.My friends 08 C14 has a NEB throttle lock on it...

$20 and works great!!!!
BDRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #165
BDRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
And here's his 08 he bought as a wreck and rebuilt.Decided to paint Acura pearl white!With ghost blue on the fins and emblems....
BDRB is offline   Reply With Quote