User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #196
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
charlie, welcome!

for me the significance of making it the length of that road is important because the c14 HATES leaving the pavement! it handles like absolute crap on gravel and loose surfaces. ive done alot of off road riding in nc and in the mountain west with this bike, and after every time i say ill never do it again. the southern end of that road was the toughest for me as was the joe brown hwy south of tellico plains, tn.

my old concours 1000 was a different story, she loved getting off the pavement.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #197
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,303
I don't own a C14 yet but I'm 95+% sure one will find it's way into my garage in 2011 to replace my aging BMW.

Something I haven't seen discussed much here is the optional rear top trunk. I am thinking to get the Kawi 47 liter trunk with the backrest pad. Does anybody here have one and do you have a passenger that's experienced how good the backrest pad is?

Are there better options from Givi or ???

I am hoping that whatever top trunk I end up with it will be a quick to unmount as I don't plan to have it on all the time, only when doing longer tours. Is this realistic, or do they all take some time to mount/dismount? I see Kawi states their trunk has a quick release base but I don't see any details on it.

I'm also planning on replacing that friggen howitzer of a muffler can, more based on the hideous looks than the sound, but nice sound is good.....

I've been browsing youtube for sound bites and views of various slip ons and so far I'm favoring the Muzzy single SS slip on. Anybody got one they can comment on?

I don't want a ripping loud sport bike sound, but rather a nice tone with a fairly low decibel level while cruising with "just enough" when you are getting on it, if that makes sense to anybody. It's a touring bike not a repli-racer and the sound should match that concept.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #198
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I don't own a C14 yet but I'm 95+% sure one will find it's way into my garage in 2011 to replace my aging BMW.

Something I haven't seen discussed much here is the optional rear top trunk. I am thinking to get the Kawi 47 liter trunk with the backrest pad. Does anybody here have one and do you have a passenger that's experienced how good the backrest pad is?

Are there better options from Givi or ???

I am hoping that whatever top trunk I end up with it will be a quick to unmount as I don't plan to have it on all the time, only when doing longer tours. Is this realistic, or do they all take some time to mount/dismount? I see Kawi states their trunk has a quick release base but I don't see any details on it.

I'm also planning on replacing that friggen howitzer of a muffler can, more based on the hideous looks than the sound, but nice sound is good.....

I've been browsing youtube for sound bites and views of various slip ons and so far I'm favoring the Muzzy single SS slip on. Anybody got one they can comment on?

I don't want a ripping loud sport bike sound, but rather a nice tone with a fairly low decibel level while cruising with "just enough" when you are getting on it, if that makes sense to anybody. It's a touring bike not a repli-racer and the sound should match that concept.

I use a Givi top case, with the Givi aluminium base plate (mounted to an aftermarket aluminium rack) and it mounts in less than two seconds. Literally.

I don't know what size the top case is, maybe 45 litre ? (it's pretty damn cavernous), and has the built-in LED brake light with attached backrest. The case is plain black abs plastic -- which in retrospect is perfect for a piece of luggage which is frequently attached & removed, for when the inevitable scratches occur.

You can fit way too much 'stuff' in one of these cases and I certainly wouldn't want to have anything larger cantilevered that high up past the axel. They are handy to have though, and I use mine everytime I head out on a tour, but almost never in town.

I replaced the stock canister on my '08 with a 2Bros CF can & mid pipe, and that lasted all of about two days. Rediculously loud piece of shit, but definetly lighter than the stock setup.

If you really want to keep it a 'touring bike', but are looking to increase the performance of the machine (especially if you intend on doing mostly two-up touring), pull the secondary throttle plates and install a pre-mapped PCIII. You'll experience real benefits from the spent money other than just a little nicer sounding bike.
Have fun on the new bike!!
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #199
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKIGAI View Post
I use a Givi top case, with the Givi aluminium base plate (mounted to an aftermarket aluminium rack) and it mounts in less than two seconds. Literally.

I don't know what size the top case is, maybe 45 litre ? (it's pretty damn cavernous), and has the built-in LED brake light with attached backrest. The case is plain black abs plastic -- which in retrospect is perfect for a piece of luggage which is frequently attached & removed, for when the inevitable scratches occur.
That sounds like what I'm looking for. I will check out the Givi trunk.

Quote:
I replaced the stock canister on my '08 with a 2Bros CF can & mid pipe, and that lasted all of about two days. Rediculously loud piece of shit, but definetly lighter than the stock setup.

If you really want to keep it a 'touring bike', but are looking to increase the performance of the machine (especially if you intend on doing mostly two-up touring), pull the secondary throttle plates and install a pre-mapped PCIII.
The last thing I want to do is experience what you did with the 2 Bros pipe.

My main purpose in replacing the pipe is to get rid of the hideous stock bazooka that just makes me want to upchuck, and hopefully get a nice mellow tone to go with it. It is possible. The one video clip I heard on the Muzzy single SS can seemed like what I am looking for. This is another sound clip for the Muzzy CF can and it seems pretty similar. How would you rate these compared to your 2 Bros?

I don't mind if there is no performance increase to be honest. It's more about the visual and audio improvements. I would even leave the stock can on their if it didn't make me cringe every time I look at it.

I do plan to pull the "flies" and add a PC, that just seems to make too much sense to pass up.

There is a good chance I will decouple the linked braking and upgrade to SS brake lines also. I can't figure out why these companies think riders can't brake for themselves. It just adds expense and most riders prefer to have them unlinked anyway.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #200
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
The last thing I want to do is experience what you did with the 2 Bros pipe.

My main purpose in replacing the pipe is to get rid of the hideous stock bazooka that just makes me want to upchuck, and hopefully get a nice mellow tone to go with it. It is possible. The one video clip I heard on the Muzzy single SS can seemed like what I am looking for. This is another sound clip for the Muzzy CF can and it seems pretty similar. How would you rate these compared to your 2 Bros?

I don't mind if there is no performance increase to be honest. It's more about the visual and audio improvements. I would even leave the stock can on their if it didn't make me cringe every time I look at it.

I do plan to pull the "flies" and add a PC, that just seems to make too much sense to pass up.
So I had a listen to both of the clips, by the way there are a LOT of aftermarket exhaust examples now for this bike posted on Youtube, and to be honest I think that the Muzzy CF example is just as loud as the 2Bros CF setup I had.

The misleading thing about most of these Youtube videos, is that they capture the bike sitting still at idle & with the throttle blipped a few times. A better judgment of sound levels (and a better perspective of the general public's point of view) would be a drive-by video, and there is a 2Bros CF video done in that perspective (it will display alongside the two clips you are referencing), which will give you an idea of the loudness/annoy-ability factor of that exhaust.

When listening to all of the C14 exhaust clips offered up now on Youtube, I thought that the AreaP or Remus Hexacone versions had the most 'livable' volumes and decent placement on the bike. I know that the AreaP was a favorite of a lot of the bike owners on the Concours Owners Group forum, and I believe it has a lifetime warranty on the exhaust can packing -- 2Bros does not, don't know about the Muzzy can.

Something noteworthy about these aftermarket CF canisters -- they are actually quite fragile, in that if the carbon fibre wrap is compromised (either by impact or overheating) it will have to be replaced. The CF cans however, are amazing for their ability to dissipate heat -- you can do a steady 4 hour highway ride, place your bare hand up against the canister, and it will be only mildly warm to the touch -- which means that everything packed away in that right-hand saddle bag remains at ambient temperature.

All of these aftermarket canisters are much shorter than the stocker, and you might want to consider how far (and what angle) the exhaust tip protrudes away from the saddle bag -- if you do a lot of commuting and spend time idling at lights, the right-hand bag can get a little stinky with the 2Bros.

And you might already know this, but any of these 'straight through' exhaust cans will pop like crazy on decel. I found that annoying really – I understand that plugging the airbox circulation hose can reduce the popping.

The straight through cans will also reduce 'felt' high rpm vibrations -- less backpressure on the engine at high rpms I suspect and probably less exhaust system mass vibrating at the same time.

That comes with a penalty though -- noise, in the form of shock waves. That was the reason I removed the 2Bros from the bike. Just like the Youtube videos, it sounds 'cool' when blipping the throttle at standstill but when out on the open road, or traveling through urban areas, that shock wave bounces off of things like highway concrete dividers or highrise buildings, and comes back as a booming thud through the helmet.
I wear a Schuberth C3 with molded ear plugs and I couldn't handle it -- it was giving me a fucking headache within a two hour ride. And if you intend on riding two-up, your pillion is going to be that much closer to the shotgun muzzle -- just something to think about.

If it was me, I would place my priorities on (and in this order),...
...how much weight reduction?
...is the noise (at speed) going to be livable?
...will I ever have to repack the canister?

Appearance to me doesn't mean shit -- I can't see the exhaust system when I'm riding and when I'm not the bike is under a cover, so I place more emphasis on performance, which in this case is weight reduction versus hearing comfort.

Removing the throttle plates & installing the PCIII is pretty much a ‘plug ‘n play’ proposition. I purchased my PCIII from Fuel Moto and it was pre-mapped according to air filter and exhaust mods. Worked perfectly from install, and I’ve had no issues with it. The extra horse power available from idle makes a noticeable difference when passing semis or merging from on-ramps into highway traffic with full luggage & pillion.

Good luck with the bike!
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #201
Revan
Throttle Jockey

Oddometer: 128
I think Area P, also, makes a really nice exhaust for the Connie.....I'm debating on going with their full system and the tuned PC5 that Fuel Moto has for it.

Here's the link.....they have some sound clips for it to.

http://www.areapnolimits.com/product...rs-14-2008.php
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. -Jean Luc Picard
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #202
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
I am happy with a Remus slip-on, I use the insert all the time as I don't like it too loud... just perfect fopr me and for my pillion/wife.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #203
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The misleading thing about most of these Youtube videos, is that they capture the bike sitting still at idle & with the throttle blipped a few times. A better judgment of sound levels (and a better perspective of the general public's point of view) would be a drive-by video,
I absolutely agree, which is why I asked how they stacked up against your real world experience.

Quote:
When listening to all of the C14 exhaust clips offered up now on Youtube, I thought that the AreaP or Remus Hexacone versions had the most 'livable' volumes and decent placement on the bike. I know that the AreaP was a favorite of a lot of the bike owners on the Concours Owners Group forum, and I believe it has a lifetime warranty on the exhaust can packing --
I took a look at the Area P, I like it!!! I prefer the SS version but I can see the point of the thermal qualities of the CF can. Hmmm.... SS will probably win out.

Your comments of "livable volumes" is exactly what I was trying to say. I listened to the sound bite they had taken on the dyno, very reasonable from what I can tell.

I can see why it's a favorite and has moved to the top of my list.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #204
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

danketchpel. the kawi top case 'is' a givi, just with a kawi sticker on it. i have the original version (not sure what size...40something). its PLENTY big enough for my took case, rain gear, and other asundries i carry regularly.

as was mentioned, get the aluminum case rack as the stock plastic one will bend/flex way too much and some have broken. there is a guy on the concours forums that makes very nice aluminum racks for a decent price. let me know and ill give you his info. i have one, and would never go back.

i do not have the backrest, as im not paying $65 for a piece of hard plastic, which is exactly what it is.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #205
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhess74 View Post
danketchpel. the kawi top case 'is' a givi, just with a kawi sticker on it. i have the original version (not sure what size...40something). its PLENTY big enough for my took case, rain gear, and other asundries i carry regularly.

as was mentioned, get the aluminum case rack as the stock plastic one will bend/flex way too much and some have broken. there is a guy on the concours forums that makes very nice aluminum racks for a decent price. let me know and ill give you his info. i have one, and would never go back.
Good info. Can you post a link to the aluminum case rack here? If not PM me. Does Givi make one also?

Quote:
i do not have the backrest, as im not paying $65 for a piece of hard plastic, which is exactly what it is.
That was what was so hard to tell from the photos. I was hoping it was a nice comfy cushion. Does anybody else make such a thing? I think my GF might like the cushy version better than the church pew version.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #206
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,277
Quote:
Good info. Can you post a link to the aluminum case rack here? If not PM me. Does Givi make one also?

That was what was so hard to tell from the photos. I was hoping it was a nice comfy cushion. Does anybody else make such a thing? I think my GF might like the cushy version better than the church pew version.

I took a Givi case I had to the paint shop and got it matched. I think it is about a 40. Bought and attached a Givi back pad to it. Overpriced but does the job although it could have fit to my case a little better.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #207
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
ask, and you shall receive...
http://www.philsfarkels.com/

2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
Old 01-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #208
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ask, and you shall receive...
http://www.philsfarkels.com/
Now that's a sweet rack!

How could any C14 owner pass up having a rack like that sittin' on the back of your bike?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #209
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,601
I'm real happy with my AreaP CF slipon. It's quiet and wife-approved yet yields real performance gains (with flies out and remapped FI).

The AreaP is 1st quality, mine has about 45,000 miles on it and still looks like new! It's a bit louder than when new, maybe I'll repack it this year.

YMMV.

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #210
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
What kind of MPG's are you guys with pre-2010's getting?
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote