Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #211
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 522
i like the idea for the lip wit the tall windshield. I love this thread!
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #212
Revan
Throttle Jockey

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
What kind of MPG's are you guys with pre-2010's getting?

I have a stock 2009, and my average MPG is usually between 38-45....depending on the riding conditions (city/highway and wind/weather).

I've, also, noticed a bit of a difference when using ethanol vs non-ethanol fuel....but not too much.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. -Jean Luc Picard
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #213
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
What kind of MPG's are you guys with pre-2010's getting?

I get 40-45mpg around town, high 40's on the road (if I keep it under 80).

If I hyper-mile, I can get low 50's. I got over 300 miles on a couple of tanks.

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #214
NestorK
Artiface Artisan

Oddometer: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Now that's a sweet rack!

How could any C14 owner pass up having a rack like that sittin' on the back of your bike?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
I passed it up.

The plate itself isn't the issue. it's the lack of support for the plate. The two sturdy-looking standoffs at the back sit on top of the fragile plastic tail.

The Givi plate adds a rear strut that connects to the bike frame. While not as pretty as Phil's plate, I can be assured that the trunk won't snap off when a pillion leans against it.
NestorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #215
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
those two arms are indeed plastic, but they are far from flimsy. they will not budge and ive never heard of an issue with them from anyone on either concours forum. if there was an issue with them, one of those guys would have found it! so dont let that dissuade you from any other rack besides givi's. i dont even know of any wrecked bikes that have broken those arms.

i leave my trunk and phil's rack on all the time and it has tools and rain gear in it. prob near 15 or so pounds consistently and its as solid now as it was nearly 50k miles ago.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #216
turbocity tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
2010 C14 with ZX14 Dual exhaust

Hi Everyone,

Just picked up my 10 C14 a month ago. Coming off of a 04 ST1300 that retired/ gave to my son with 93K. I really liked the ST.

Couple of things that I didn’t like about the C14. The exhaust, just didn’t look right. Did some research on the ZX14 dual exhaust and decided that that was the way I wanted to go. I have not seen anyone finish install details, so maybe these will help anyone interested in doing this swap. Please excuse how dirt it is, it’s been raining here a lot and I ride every day.

system

New mount

Reworked stands

Bag clearance

Center stand tab

Overall, the system fits just like stock and I have kept the center stand. The modifications were very easy.

The bike looks much better with the duals and at some point I may go to a set of aftermarket ZX 14 slip ons.

The other thing was the lack of a “useful” rack. I couldn’t find anything that fit my bill, so I built one that included a small passenger back rest.

I wanted something that would support a fairly large bag.

The only other thing added is a set of Murph’s risers. Easy install with great results.

Hope to put as many miles on this as my ST.

Thanks Tom
turbocity tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #217
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's some very nice workmanship!

Those dual exhausts look fantastic

Hell, you could market that rack and back rest - better throw a patent on that thing quick!
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #218
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

hey tom! you lost??!! fjr's are a few threads down...

i agree, thats a clean lookin rack! i see a market for that. perhaps murph could hook you up on some production routes...

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #219
turbocity tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhess74 View Post
hey tom! you lost??!! fjr's are a few threads down...

i agree, thats a clean lookin rack! i see a market for that. perhaps murph could hook you up on some production routes...
Boy that hurts.... LOL. I'm just an old fart that likes the even look of the dual exhaust.

I own a production shop and build a lot of dual sport products. I have built stuff for the ST1300 in the past, but as with the C14, the market is just too small to work with. All of my products are hand made and I can not compete with the mass produced parts. I have no plans to market for the C14.

I does come in handy when I get a new bike and want something for it. I get exactly what I want and of course cost is no object then. LOL.

Thanks Tom

turbocity tom screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 10:24 AM
Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #220
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
No sweat on you Turbo T, TJHess was messing with me; we're riding buddys in Charleston, SC.

He owns a C-14 and I'm on an FJR, it's all friendly jabbing at each other
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #221
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocity tom View Post
Boy that hurts.... LOL. I'm just an old fart that likes the even look of the dual exhaust.

I own a production shop and build a lot of dual sport products. I have built stuff for the ST1300 in the past, but as with the C14, the market is just too small to work with. All of my products are hand made and I can not compete with the mass produced parts. I have no plans to market for the C14.

I does come in handy when I get a new bike and want something for it. I get exactly what I want and of course cost is no object then. LOL.

Thanks Tom
So I gotta ask,...what's the weight difference between the duals and the stock bazooka?
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #222
turbocity tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKIGAI View Post
So I gotta ask,...what's the weight difference between the duals and the stock bazooka?

I did not weigh them before insatllation, but I would guess that the total weight is about the same. I was surprised as to how heavy the ZX14 mufflers are. I did it just for the looks. Comming off the ST1300, the C14 is a rocketship. I don't know how much more preformance I can take :)

Thanks Tom
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #223
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
... Did some research on the ZX14 dual exhaust and decided that that was the way I wanted to go. I have not seen anyone finish install details, so maybe these will help anyone interested in doing this swap. Please excuse how dirt it is, it’s been raining here a lot and I ride every day.
Really great job there That looks awesome and I bet it sounds great.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #224
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
I did not weigh them before insatllation, but I would guess that the total weight is about the same. I was surprised as to how heavy the ZX14 mufflers are. I did it just for the looks. Comming off the ST1300, the C14 is a rocketship. I don't know how much more preformance I can take :)

Thanks Tom
I would expect that the weight would be even more,….and it probably is an esthetic improvement (anything compared to the stock canister would be), but how does it affect the balance of the bike?

I swapped the stock canister & mid-pipe out for a 2Bros CF, and ended up shuffling over my tool roll, compressor & patch kit, all to the right hand bag. The bike just seemed ‘out of balance’ with the lighter can. The weight difference between the two is startling – the stock can and mid-pipe is a hand curl, while CF & pipe can literally be lifted with two fingers!

Unfortunately I just couldn’t handle the ‘ambiance’ of the 2Bros canister, and reinstalled the bazooka. How much louder than stock (if at all) is the twin ZX setup?

Have you done the TP’s and installed a remapped PC yet?

I came off an ’03 ST1300 – there is no comparison of the two bikes, other than they both have windscreens, two wheels, and saddle bags.
The ST1300 was (and I’m sure the pillorying and pitchforks will be forthcoming) the biggest disappointment I’ve ever ridden.
I used to be a pretty strong Honda man, but I won’t buy another new Honda, ever.
…Three water pumps in three years, all of them installed by different dealers, and all of them under warranty, and the bike was still a leaker when I traded it in on the C14.
…The stock fuel injection was crap – I bought a modified FPR from you to address that, but lost the engine braking.
…I had to replace brake pads with every tire change – I’m almost at 50,000 klm on the C14 and still on the original set of pads.
…The Honda is a fat heavy bitch, I had scrape marks on the plastic belly pan (both sides) from compression in the corners.
…With the Honda rear trunk installed, I could get a weave going at the 95 mph mark that no amount of rear shock adjust would eliminate – the C14 tracks like a freight train at 100+ with the largest Givi trunk I could find.
…The Honda was easily the worst saddle I’ve ever had on a motorcycle – it was fucking worse than the stock saddle I had on my ’77 Harley Café Racer, and that was just an inch & a half of pillow-foam slapped on a piece of fiberglass.

I liked the Hona bags though, and the fuel range, and the better weather protection, but that's about it,... and that ain't enough to put up with stinking of antifreeze everywhere you go.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #225
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

turbo, my bad, i was referring to the other tom!

i too considered the dual zx exhaust for my bike, but i just never got around to it. weight savings are nominal because the stock zg can is heavy, but doesnt contain the cats. however, the zx exhaust cans do contain the cats, so its a wash.

balance/weight distribution is better with the duals.

again, kudos on your exhaust and rack...very nice!

2007 Honda VFR800 RWB