Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #241
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Just curious. Would you Connie owners consider the airflow over the stock screen set at it's lowest point "clean"? By "clean" I mean not much buffeting or roaring, like that you get from a sport bike screen. For comparison, I had a 2001 FZ1 with the stock screen and it was great. I'm considering a Connie or FJR in the near future, and would like some input. I'm more sensitive to the wind blast then normal I think, but I've had two bikes that I sold simply because the airflow hitting my helmet was so bad. Thanks.

Well now, there are a few variables involved with this that would affect the individual responses from rider to rider -- variables such as helmet type, helmet model, shoulder width, torso height, ear plugs yes/no, ear plug type,...you get the idea.

For example, I wear a Schuberth C3, use custom molded ear phones, have a shoulder width (jacket on) of 53cm / 21inches, and have a torso (sitting) height of 91.5cm / 36 inches as measured from top of seat pad to top of helmet.

I found the stock screen to be insufficient in both height and width.

At the lowest setting, the wind blast was exactly at shoulder/neck height and was very noisy at highway speeds -- to noisy to make use of the headphones.
At the highest setting, the wind blast was about nose height and created a lot of buffeting at highway speeds -- enough to push one's head from side to side, when trailing behind SUV's, pickups, vans.
In weather, I had too much rain spray which hit me at the edge of the chest and covered both shoulders.

The front-end profile of the C14 was designed obviously to mimic a sport bike and the dash height is quite low, in comparison to something like the Honda ST1300. This in turn reduces the height of the windscreen mounting points, which limits the height or size (coverage) of the aftermarket screens.

I use a Cee Baily Euro Cut model on my '08, and at highway + speeds get enough movement at the trailing (top) edge now, that I suspect anything taller & wider, would overtime be stressing the adjustment arms.

The Euro Cut model (for me) when fully extended directs the wind blast at eyebrow height, and when fully retracted now directs the wind to almost chin height -- not quite as fully covered as I would have preferred, but nice in summer, especially in city traffic.
The profile of the screen is different enough that I don't experience any head wobble or shoulder buffeting at any setting.

When I was installing the aftermarket screen, I took the bike out for a run down the highway without any screen installed, and it was bad. The profile, and height, of the dash acting alone was worse than a naked bike -- a lot of shoulder buffeting and quite noisy.

Perhaps I'm just getting soft & old -- every bike I've had since about the mid-eighties, has had some form of fairing/screen combination -- but I just couldn't imagine doing highway touring anymore, without some sort of screen to cut down on that wind blast.

Hope this helps with your decision!
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #242
Behindbars
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 652
So what's out now? 2010's? 2011's? Are they throttle by wire?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #243
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 738
New 2009 ABS

Just got my new 09 delivered tonight (snowed here in Michigan).
She's a big girl ! The deal was just to good to pass up.

02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #244
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindbars View Post
So what's out now? 2010's? 2011's? Are they throttle by wire?
2011's, and no.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #245
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 738
Well, it got up to 45 degrees today and the roads were dry, so i took the big girl out.

she is surprisingly nimble above 25 mph and wind protection was very good. Way better than my Nighthawk.

its going to be rough keeping her under 4,000 rpms for the next 475 miles.

But so far i like her!
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s

MKorn screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 04:40 AM Reason: Spelling
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #246
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Just curious. Would you Connie owners consider the airflow over the stock screen set at it's lowest point "clean"? By "clean" I mean not much buffeting or roaring, like that you get from a sport bike screen.
Yeah... mostly. As others said, helmet, etc. contributes to that.

Had a 2004 Multistrada, it was far louder from wind roar/buffet. My R1150 GS, WAAAAAAY more buffeting.

Me personally, I sweat like it's my job. I want an OEM screen to cut down about 4 inches for the hottest months. I have a taller screen on there now, and at well below the highest setting the air goes over my head. I'm 5'9" on a good day.

YMMV,
Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #247
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 752
Kawasaki Concours 14 Two-up comfort?

Well, I have to be honest, the Conny 14 is on my short list, I think it's about the sexiest sport tourer available today, but a BIG selling point is the two up comfort, especially for the wife.

So how is it for the pillon? I know this thing is a rocket with bags, but that doesn't do much for the lady when she has to sit back there for any longer than 30 min at a time.
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #248
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
Well, I have to be honest, the Conny 14 is on my short list, I think it's about the sexiest sport tourer available today, but a BIG selling point is the two up comfort, especially for the wife.

So how is it for the pillon? I know this thing is a rocket with bags, but that doesn't do much for the lady when she has to sit back there for any longer than 30 min at a time.
When we were looking around, the wife actually like the seat on the ST1300 better.

Ended up with an FJR anyway.
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #249
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post

I wasn't a big fan of the Connie until yesterday while driving to San Jose up US101 a 09 Connie stayed with me for about 5 miles. The man was in the zone. The motorcycle has very nice lines while in motion. He was a shorter dude like myself and was lovin the risers and has a top case with pad ready for company. He was jammin out on something (clearly dialed into some music). I have always favored the FJR1300 but would strongly consider the Connie or FJR. Huge mile eaters in comfort with room for two.
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #250
HessDaddy
Dirt Rooster

Oddometer: 134
I think comfort for pillion is pretty good. My wife likes it. It isn't a goldwing, but if you're looking for a sport-tourer, then I don't think it's bad. Small backrest addition might be good. I find, as the driver, that my back gets much more tired when she's leaning against me. The backrest might result in less tendency to lean against me.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
2008 Concours 14
HessDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #251
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
...my wife hated it at first!!! And I mean it. After a new seat (Sargent), C10 pegs with extenders, re-arranging the trunk position and a touring (tall) windshild, the C14 became the new reference.
Previously I had a CapoNord and out of the box everything felt in place except the need for a taller Givi windshield (very cheap).
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #252
Trooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
You really need to get your wife to sit on all of the contenders and see which one she likes best. If she is 5'-5" or less it probably won't matter too much but it she is 5'-7" or taller the Honda ST will probably fit her better. The Honda is designed towards the "touring" side of the sport tourers and seems to have better passenger accommodations.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #253
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
You really need to get your wife to sit on all of the contenders and see which one she likes best. If she is 5'-5" or less it probably won't matter too much but it she is 5'-7" or taller the Honda ST will probably fit her better. The Honda is designed towards the "touring" side of the sport tourers and seems to have better passenger accommodations.
My wife did not care for the ST1300 and hated the FJR. According with her "expert" opnion, the ST13 ergo did not click, till today I cannot understand why. BTW, she liked the R12RT... I did not... I liked the K12GT...she does not like 2 exhaust pipes... go figure...
11 Vette, unmolested...
Old 04-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #254
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,205
Had an '09 C-14 for last season, before that a BMW K1100RS.

Wife liked the K bike's pillion and DID not like the Concours when she took the first few rides.

She is only 5' 2" but felt like the passenger pegs had her knees bent too much. And didn't care for the stock seat.

Got some brackets to drop her pegs- 2" down and 1" forward (from MC Larry- got them with the Yamaha rubber pegs) and a Sargent seat. Then a top box with back rest pad. She said that those changes made it MUCH better. Finally a Cee Baileys "Eurocut" windshield cut the wind blast WAY down.
Took some work and $$$ but it transformed the bike and kept SWMBO very happy.

Ultimately after a full season I never really "bonded" with the Connie so it went away and now have a K100RS in the garage. Yeah, it is an affliction.

John
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #255
olie
Beastly Adventurer

the c14 /1400gtr is becoming the reference...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679455
11 Vette, unmolested...