Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #256
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
my wife hated the c14s seat and leg position. the seat slopes forward quite a bit and the pegs are high, cramping the leg room.

i put a custom seat and passenger peg lowerers on it and now its perfect. as has been said, youre just gonna have to put her on it and see how she feels.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #257
velocity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Motorcyclist or Cycle World did an FJR-ST1300-Concours comparison last summer. Of the three they preferred the Concours. But in a sidebar they said the brought along a BMW 1200GS to haul camera gear and such. All the test riders said they would bike the GS over all the others. They also had one passenger who would swap as pillion among the bikes - and she also overwhelmingly preferred the GS.

I've briefly ridden a 1200 GS; it didn't do "it" for me - but I could see it making a comfortable long-haul tourer.
velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #258
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,223
Can anyone point me to an article/thread on removing the flies? I haven't opened my beast and need to get more familiar, figure it's prop the tank, open the airbox, unscrew those pesky little screws and grab the flies with a needle nose?
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #259
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Can anyone point me to an article/thread on removing the flies? I haven't opened my beast and need to get more familiar, figure it's prop the tank, open the airbox, unscrew those pesky little screws and grab the flies with a needle nose?

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-14...ure-guide.html

The images are representative of the ZX1400 engine, but once the tank is off, it's all the same.

You will need to ensure that the battery is disconected first.

The next step is removing the saddle and then the 'glove box' -- you might want to remove the two upper fairing side panels too, since this will be where you'll want to locate the Power Commander module.

Since you have not made any reference to which PC module you are using, I'll take this opportunity to remind you that you MUST REMAP THESE ENGINES when removing the secondary throttle plates -- these engines will run too lean with the secondary tp's removed.
I purchased a pre-mapped PCIII from Fuel Moto, and it has performed flawlessly. They have a selection of maps already configured, dependant on which model of exhaust can you wish to run.

At some point, you'll also have to remove the left hand side fairing piece (Power Commander wire harness installation), and to be honest, you're better off removing the complete fairing from the bike. This can be done in one section -- with the bike on the centre stand, you'll be able to rotate the complete fairing (belly/chin/side panels) as one unit from underneath and away from the bike. This of course means disconnecting the turn signals and the inner fairing rad shroud pieces.

I'm sure that I am not using the correct terms for the body sections as I am typing this from memory -- I did the throttle plates & PCIII installation on mine about two years ago(?).

The gas tank is next; be carefull when lifting the tank off of the mounts, as there will be a fuel disconnect located on the bottom of the tank -- you'll have about a foot of line to play with. Refer to the owners manual -- there is an adequate discription in the manual regarding how to disconect this fuel line.

There has been a lot written about how difficult it is to remove the throttle plate attachment screws -- some people have stripped screw heads or twisted the screws off, and leaving a portion of the fastener still in the throttle body.
Personally, I never experienced any issues removing the fasteners or the four throttle plates. Use a decent quality phillips head screwdriver, with a shaft at least eight inches in length. It helps if the screwdriver is, or can be, magnetized. I used one of those removable magnets that fits around the shaft -- you magnetize the shaft of the screwdriver and the fasteners will stick to the screwdriver head when withdrawing them through the throttle body/air box.

Just don't move the throttle when removing the fasteners or plates, and you shouldn't have any worries about dropping 'things' into the engine -- the primary plates will remain in the closed position.
Do keep a magnetic pick-up handy though just in case you need to retrieve a dropped fastener. The secondary plates cannot fall down into the throttle body passages -- they are larger than the full length of the lower TB passage.

Remember to keep the removed plates & fasteners, just in case you decide to return everything to stock. I couldn't see any dimensional difference between the four plates, but marking each of them when removing would eliminate any confusion as to which plate matches with each throttle body.

Oh and one more thing, with the fairing panels off it would also be an opportune time to inspect/install a new air filter, and snug up the bolts on the exhaust manifold.

You also might want to pick up some replacement rubber grommet fasteners -- they are used to hold the two upper fairing dash panels in place -- as they seem to be over-tightened at the factory and will not re-thread into place properly. The fasteners are stainless, and the threaded nut molded into each of the grommets is brass -- always a bad combo.

You don't have to buy the replacement grommets from the dealer -- these are a common body panel fastner and most decent automotive supply stores will be able to order them in for you. I bought mine from my local NAPA dealer.

PM me if you have any other questions.

IKIGAI screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 10:31 PM
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #260
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,223
Thanks I was planning on getting the PC from fuel moto, seems like the way to go. Right now I wish the bike were a naked standard. The plastic seems like the biggest issue. I did a similar job on an ST13, everyone obsessed about the screws but a good tool did the job without any stripping. I just really need the new air filter but while I am doing that I figured........

Anyway I need to get a factory manual and I'll be set. Thanks for all the tips
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #261
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
There are pdf uploads of the complete GTR1400 parts & service manuals posted to a few sites on the web.

Try this forum first,
http://www.concours.org/

and if you can't find it posted there, pm me and I'll send the file to you in an email.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #262
Beatnick Fly
Skeezman

Oddometer: 60
Bluhduh

I sold a Buell Uly, that we both rode short distances on, (less than 100 miles), then bought an '05 BMW K1200 LT, (BMW's version of the Gold Wing). I hate this bike, she loves it. It's like steering a Kenworth with two wheels, (with new tires to boot!!) She wouldn't even sit on a K1200GT at a BMW rally, now I'm desperatley trying to lure her onto a Connie and I can see it's going to be a tough call.
Beatnick Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #263
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnick Fly View Post
I sold a Buell Uly, that we both rode short distances on, (less than 100 miles), then bought an '05 BMW K1200 LT, (BMW's version of the Gold Wing). I hate this bike, she loves it. It's like steering a Kenworth with two wheels, (with new tires to boot!!) She wouldn't even sit on a K1200GT at a BMW rally, now I'm desperatley trying to lure her onto a Connie and I can see it's going to be a tough call.
...you made a mistake letting your wife sit on a LT or a GW for that matter. I did the same, till today she approves the buy of those 2. It was a nightmare to make her accepting the C14 only after a pile of mods.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #264
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 741
West of Tawas, Mi

I took a nice long ride on the new girl ... wow, she is fun.
She topped out at 125mph on the gps fully loaded, might have been able to creep up to 130 but i wasnt tucked and the windscreen was half way up. i also finally got to some twisty roads and was able to use all but 1/4 inch of the back tire ... felt like i was layed over way more than the tires showed. hahaha

A pic of one of my stops.

02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #265
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
She topped out at 125mph on the gps fully loaded, might have been able to creep up to 130 but i wasnt tucked and the windscreen was half way up. i also finally got to some twisty roads and was able to use all but 1/4 inch of the back tire ... felt like i was layed over way more than the tires showed. hahaha

Only 125? My Strom, loaded, does 118 with easily a few more on tap. I figured a C14 would be good for 150.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #266
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:

Tops out at 125 fully loaded? Might have been able to creep up to 130? This is on a new, low mileage C14 that you're breaking in, right? Just asking...
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #267
MKorn
2whl Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
Only 125? My Strom, loaded, does 118 with easily a few more on tap. I figured a C14 would be good for 150.

well ... in her defense ... i only have 800 miles on her. She pulled real hard and very quickly up to 120. i will continue to push it.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #268
MKorn
2whl Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
Tops out at 125 fully loaded? Might have been able to creep up to 130? This is on a new, low mileage C14 that you're breaking in, right? Just asking...

yup ... i am of the ride it like ya stole it break in method.

i have been pretty easy on her for most of the time. keeping it around 4,000 rpms, varying the rpms.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #269
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
yup ... i am of the ride it like ya stole it break in method.

i have been pretty easy on her for most of the time. keeping it around 4,000 rpms, varying the rpms.
Okay. I was just checking because the way you wrote your previous comments I got the impression that 125/130 was topping out the C14. I asked if this is the break in period because that tells me you're still keeping the revs within reason.

Enjoy the new ride and keep posting your impressions!
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #270
Burbs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Anyone here using Two Brothers exhaust system? I met a guy who had an 08 with it, and I liked the sound of it. I'm even more interested as that stock exhaust is very heavy and could help shed some serious weight.

-Chris