Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
I do like my (GTR) C14 very much, but because I've had some lucky escapes on some of my rides (we can get jail for going 45kmh over the limit), so to save my virginity I got the Hypermotard as well for short rides, it seems to enjoy it more at 120kmh or under whereas the Concours would often wander up over 160kmh... always so smooth...

of course this is all BS, I just wanted a Hyper as well and made up any excuse to have more fun

Here's my big baby...fitted peg-lowering brackets last night, better (for me) touring comfort....added a Eurocut +5 screen, Heli-risers and of course on my 2nd set of Pilot Road II's.... can't complain about the handling, rock solid and very nice!!

HyperPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #17
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Engine buzz

Got a question for you C14 owners. I've got a friend with one which I've been able to ride a few times. The one thing that bothers me is the buzz from the engine at 80MPH. It puts my right hand to sleep within 5 minutes. Have another folks noticed this vibration? I'm wondering if this might be an issue with one particular bike or a general issue with the engine.

I know that different folks are bothered by vibration in different ways. I ride a Ducati ST3 which also has a vibration which I feel at highway speeds, but it doesn't put my hand to sleep.

For me this is a deal killer because my ideal type of road trip is to hit the interstate for the first day or two and get as far away from home as possible. Then ride back on different two lane country roads. While at country road speeds the engine is smooth as glass. Unfortunately I'd never make it out of state.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #18
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,130
heheh

your pal got the special edition ZG, with the right hand message unit....jk

about 3% (I monitor this stuff... I'm C.O.G.'s Tech Editor) experienced ACTUAL buzzy bikes... a small cross section, and most of those were remedied by service doing some bolt tightening and f/i synch.

I think the major problem is the 'deathgrip' hold you are experiencing.... loosen up the grip! Everyone does it for a couple hundred miles.....then they relax.
better yet toss on an Audiovox Cruise control.... and ride left handed....

The place where this beast shines, is the thing it was designed for....
major road gobbling fully loaded, with 2 up. I put about 7,000 mile with wife on this pup, and it performed flawlessly.... she even falls asleep on the back now.....

Oh, and for $10k less than the B'mer, hell, it's a no brainer...

Magazine articles are like buttholes, they are al different, and most of them stink....

CycleWorld just noted that they still have the bike they were given for the test, seems Mama K forgot to ask them for it back, and after a year, they use it for every possible "reason", holding it as their workhorse loaner for the staff. A fitting position, well beholding of it's originator, The Concours,
which has held it's head high, and performed it's duties for 20 solid years of production....

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 12-03-2008 at 01:26 PM
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #19
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
Okay, I've got to ask this.

I read a magazine review a while ago comparing Sport Tourers. The Connie came in 2nd from last, and they said if their Yamaha hadn't had an Automatic transmission, the Connie would have been last.

There was a long list of things they didn't like about it, the biggest one of which was that they said it wasn't nearly as fast or powerful compared to some of the smaller-displacement ones like the K1200GT.

What gives? Any truth to this?
The magazine said the only thing this bike did better than the rest was riding long wheelies.
There was a Motorcycle Consumer News comparo a year or two ago that just whaled on the new Connie -- but it was ludicrous. The reviewer appeared to be short, indignant, and know practically nothing about the class. The biggest slam was that the bike was too tall; next was that the seat wasn't adjustable; also that the brakes were too strong (I'm not making this up); also that it didn't have enough around-town power (again, I'm not making this up); and questioned that the C14 had a slipper clutch to prevent wheel hop, even though they didn't experience wheel hop on the other bikes; also that the C14, at 1352 cc's, had the largest differential between it's actual engine size and name engine size (again, I'm not making this up).

I traded my Wing on a new red, abs C14 three weeks ago after a long and detailed search. I'd ridden and researched the FJR, R1200RT, R1200GT, ST1300 and the C14. I also have an R1200GS Adv in the garage. The C14 hit the sweet spot for value, fun, comfort, utility and lust for me. The engine, susupension and brakes on this bike are all a big deal. Ergonomically, it fits me very well. I just bought a nice tank bag for it for $86 -- not $346. I'm pretty confident the final drive will outlive me (I'm 51).

But all of the bikes in the class have wonderful aspects, and may be the better choice for other riders.

In spite of the loony MCN comparo, most of the other magazines have raved about the new Connie, and some have given if bike of the year awards.

But the take-away is always, always, always do your own research, ride everything in the class, and decide for yourself what's right for you.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,489
Lovely shade of red. Very nice.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
kutch
That fell off where?

Oddometer: 583
2 things....

How is the lighting for night riding?

Whats the service intervals & $$ going to run (if) you have the shop do it?

Kutch
Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
I have serious lust for this bike..

how's the engine heat management?

I gotta get me a test ride...
Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
ENDODB4
b00n

Oddometer: 346
Yeah, I have been hearing alot about the heat thing. Hope it's not a problemo!
ENDODB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #24
wfobusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
This bike is a hoot on the Interstate.. I left North Ga. at 4am and was checking in at Titusville, Fla. for the last shuttle launch at 2pm . Very smooth and dispatches those pesky lines of 18 wheelers like nobodys business. Oil changes require no bodywork removal at all and there are no final drive issues. I've probably owned my last beemer.
wfobusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #25
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
the headlights are some of the best ive ridden behind.

the buzz for me is so minor its a non issue. that is generally an individual bike thing-some have it, most dont.

i (and some others) think the rear brake sucks big time. it works, but it doesnt provide that 'feel' that other rear brakes do. it feels disconnected in a sense and is hard to gauge where you are in the pressure category. not sure if i explained that right.

heat. heres a good topic. yes, the connie is hot. more so on the right side. but, imo its no hotter than any big engined sport touring bikes ive ridden. again, this may be an individual bike thing, but i further suspect its a relative feeling based on the individual rider. put some pants on (you should ride with them anyway!) and you will only notice it when stuck in traffic. some people have added some extra heat reflective material to the underside of the panels and reached some level of success in heat reduction. for me, personally its not that big of an issue...and i ride my connie everyday as i do not own another vehicle. it gets very hot here in the south!

service intervals really only apply to the valves, as the rest of the bike is generally maintenance free. change the oil and other fluids on the normal intervals and youll be fine. the valve check intervals are every 15k miles (us version), which for me is every 6 months. its expensive because it takes alot of time to get to the valves (seems to average 4-500 for a dealer valve check)! they are very buried in the compact design. youre better off if you have some time and mechanical knowledge to do them yourself, as im doing here in the next few weeks. me personally, i do the first couple valve checks, then i forget about them. most of the change comes early in the engines life from my experience and ive never had a problem with doing so.

another maintenance cost is tires. the stock tires usually last no more than 8k miles, but most folks report much less tire life. it really depends on the riders style. tires are in sporty sizes and are expensive. but, if you shop around, you can find good deals in the very low $300 range (for michelin pr2's=very good tire). some guys are using shinko tires with some success for the high $100s/low $200 range. its just something you have to plan ahead for.

some people report random electical issues, but again is usually bike specific. most other issues (tire pressure sensors) have either been fixed or will gladly be fixed by your dealer (as is my case).

i feel that the stock seat is horrible. i hated the forward slant, the firmness, and the seat cover material (very sticky). i replaced mine with a custom seat. others have no problem with the seat. just depends on your butt.

its hard to beat this bike for its features and price. if you go to test ride it, bring your check book, cause you will buy it. ask me how i know this!

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #26
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfobusa
This bike is a hoot on the Interstate.. I left North Ga. at 4am and was checking in at Titusville, Fla. for the last shuttle launch at 2pm . Very smooth and dispatches those pesky lines of 18 wheelers like nobodys business. Oil changes require no bodywork removal at all and there are no final drive issues. I've probably owned my last beemer.
youre so vain! you probably think this thread is about you!!

its ok, i catch myself looking at me and the bike all the time! the best is polished tanker trailers.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #27
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
I agree the rear brake is uncharacteristically wooden, and not particularly powerful. I realize it's considered a safety issue to keep rear brakes soft, but I'd prefer a little better quality.

I haven't ridden mine in hot weather. There is some heat on the right side, but it's not objectionable. I actually think I've figured out the heat issue, and it's going to be a very simple fix, but I'm not going to discuss it until I can test my theories, and I'm not in any hurry to do that now that we're down into the bone-chilling 60's.

I'll do the mod by next April, and I anticipate that she won't warm up any more than any other huge-engined, high-powered, fully-faired sportbike after that. But so far, the heat is more a curiousity than a problem.

One aspect of heat-generation is the same root as the fuel mileage. It's just too damned-much fun to ride this girl hard. She likes it. I like it. You get the picture.

I have put on risers and a taller Cee Bailey screen, and have a Kaoko throttle lock ordered. I may order a seat if I get some Christmas money. I'll also get a topbox/tail-light.

The exhaust is large, but not prohibitively so. If I find $420 I absolutely don't need for anything else, I may get a 2Bros. CF slip-on from New Enough.

(with big brother)
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #28
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I have serious lust for this bike..

how's the engine heat management?

I gotta get me a test ride...
I've noticed the heat a little. Mind you, this time of year, it's welcome.

More than other bikes, not deserving all the hype it's getting.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #29
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertbilly
...(PIC)(with big brother)...
Gotta love that new red paint!!! so nice!!

Just my 2c regards those few issues mentioned...

Rear Brake: really only use it to manouver around the yard or at slow/traffic situations...as others have said: wooden. Fronts are heaven, and the ABS does work nicely, saved me twice!
Heat: it gets hot, it does have a lot of stuff happening down there and it is all covered up too I suppose... I've put some extra insulation inside a part of the panelling and it's considerably cooler than those without, there are foam pieces inside the right side which are rarely re-joined properly by the service guys, allowing heat to flow out...fix them and it's "just hot" like most others... not an issue with me...
Fuel: sux like a V8 but you get a nice big grin doing it you know
it can do OK, (mag)tests whinge but it only ever got 10-20km less range than most others anyway...so what?
Headlights: brilliant...no extra needs, great adjustment (easy left/right and up/down) good for nocturnal fun!!
Gel Seat: I sold mine, hard as, not nice... I think mine had the gel left out of it, but the height, materials and style of the Gel seat was great... prefer the standard for comfort...
Buzz: mines has buzz in the bars somewhere in the revs, I tend to relax the grip and thats half the problem over... it leaves my previous mount (GS1150) for dead in the smoothness....nothing on the pegs, although I found them a little cramped and lowered them....

Eats miles, with the big screen it's wind free-up or windy-down...

good to see some discussion on the beast.... although I've got a few other toys, and have considered selling the GTR, I always change my mind when I take it out.... too nice... it's staying for a while
HyperPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #30
jtsdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've had mine about nine months and the only issue has been the rear tire pressure sensor, which the dealer fixed in 10 minutes. The bike also has a three year warranty. I test drove one, took it home that day and have been in love with it since. The thing was a ball at the Dragon.
jtsdad is offline   Reply With Quote