Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #31
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Definitley interested in this machine. I've bookmarked it...and drool.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #32
bl4ckd0g
Time for a Magic Trick

Oddometer: 278
Going form a KLR to new Connie is quite the quantum leap! When I had my '08 KLR up for sale, someone in Louisville wanted to trade down his silver c1400 to my bike.

I didn't feel like paying the $6,000 difference at the time.
bl4ckd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #33
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,488
Well, that's the last time I trust a Limey bike magazine!

When I get really old, I'll probably go for this C14 and a KLR. I figure the standard Old Man Bike combo is a BMW and KLR, so I'll be faster and cheaper than them!

Of course, by that time, they'll probably have a Connie-56 (which will probably be only 5452cc) and a KLZZR...
Old 12-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #34
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4ckd0g
Going form a KLR to new Connie is quite the quantum leap! When I had my '08 KLR up for sale, someone in Louisville wanted to trade down his silver c1400 to my bike.

I didn't feel like paying the $6,000 difference at the time.
I had a guy contact me from Texas wanting to do the same thing. Why in the world would someone want to trade a C14 for a KLR?

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #35
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus McGee
I had a guy contact me from Texas wanting to do the same thing. Why in the world would someone want to trade a C14 for a KLR?

Poor self image? "I don't deserve nice things?" Kinda seriously...Me and Honey both felt that way about a few cars...dunno. It does seem weird...nothing against KLRs...like em a heap.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #36
muguvian
lugrubious

Oddometer: 100
Heat

Since it's in the 20s-30s most mornings here now, I haven't mounted anything permanent, but most of the heat is coming from the cat directly in front of your right ankle. A simple heat shield or conversion to the ZX14 header removes the "extra" heat.
muguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #37
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
December 18 will be our one year anniversary with 17,000 trouble free miles.... The motor is powerful and the tranny super smooth… The bike can get hot sitting in traffic but I don't think the heat is extreme... Rode the four corners area back in July while the air temp was very hot upper 90's low 100's never felt the bike get unbearably hot while moving, but while sitting still there was a lot of heat whether on the bike or off, the heat just seemed to radiate off the pavement.. Just make sure the foam behind the cowling is positioned correctly, the foam block on the right middle cowling can get pushed in or out leaving a 1”x1” gap that will blow hot air directly on the front shin.… As been mentioned by posters above the headlights are very nice and bright with easy adjustability… Tire pressure sensors have worked great since day one…. Oil changes and shaft drive maintenance is so easy a caveman could do it… The stock Battle ax tires lasted around 6200 miles the Michelin PR2’s really improved the handling, and have lasted about 10,600 miles the rear is toast and needs changing the front still looks like it might have another 1 to 2 K left on it…What many C-14 owners have found is the bike handles best with between 40 and 42 PSI… The only additions I have made to the bike were a set of Murphs risers an AreaP carbon fiber pipe and a JCW trunk I color matched and use on trips out west….

Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #38
kutch
That fell off where?

Oddometer: 583
Question

I sat on both the C-14 and the new bandit a few weeks ago.

The C14 sure does have allot to offer. And at quite the fair price.

But cut another ~$3K and thats were the Bandit can be had...

Granted, not the same as far as amenities. Shes got a chain. Weaker element protection...

But -what do you think?

Would you actually compare them with a ~3K difference?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #39
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

If the choice was between the two...for 3K? Sheet, that's nothing. Go for the gusto. Bandit is competent, I just wouldn't choose it over the C14.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #40
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill
If the choice was between the two...for 3K? Sheet, that's nothing. Go for the gusto. Bandit is competent, I just wouldn't choose it over the C14.
Ditto.

Ride the Connie before you take the plunge. When you do ride one, get those rpm's up to about 8 or 9k and make sure you're holding on tight.

You'll forget about the Bandit in a New York minute.

You can get used ones for around 10k.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #41
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
my rear tps has already been replaced. the front is just now giving the low battery warning when temps are in the 20's or lower. so i know end is near, but warranty will cover it.

as far as the warranty...standard is 3 years unlimited mileage. it also has an extended three year warranty (6 total) for around $500. i say its worth it for a couple reasons. most people say extended warranties are useless, and thats usually true, but think about this... this is a first (now second) year bike...ALOT of new, untested in time technology. there is a masssive amount of electrical things on this bike. the enemies of electronics are temp, vibration, and exposure to elements. our bikes encounters all three. SO, the cost of the warrany, 5 or so years from now, will MORE than pay for itself when the ecu or kipass, or whatever system goes tits up at 100k miles. hopefully that wont happen, but that $500 will give me some great peace of mind when this bike rolls 6 digits on the odo. even if your bike doesnt rack up mileage, it will still rack up the years. i say get the warranty...you can purchase it at any time during your existing warranty.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #42
Bugnut
Dude

Oddometer: 104
First day, 15 minutes after purchase in Clearwater Florida:

Semi annual Sturgis trip:

Artsy fartsy shot:

Only time she let me down (due to service tech torque wrench):

Motor'n:

This bike flat out runs perfectly (compared to a Ulysses). Not a single complaint @ 10k in just 7 months. Heat is a non-issue, (again, compared to a Uly) seat is perfect for my pampered tush, a set of risers and drops for my monkey arms and giraffe legs set everything perfect. Goes where I want it to and quickly if I so choose. Putters around if I don't.
Mike
Bugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #43
johnnyc14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I've had mine since last spring and put 18000 km on it over the summer. Ive owned dozens of bikes over many years and this is the most enjoyable one yet. I agree that the seat sucks, I replaced mine with a ZX14 seat which I find to be more comfy. I also installed bar risers, foot peg lowering brackets, and the Kawasaki tall windshield. With those mods this is a genuine all day bike. I hated the look of the muffler but I am getting too old for loud pipes so I shortened the stock one. Heat and vibration are not issues for me. I've owned lots of bikes that made more heat and this is by far the smoothest one I've ridden. It's way smoother than my friends 04 FJR1300.

Here's how it looks with the ZX14 seat

Here's before and after pics of the muffler, I shortened it by 4 inches.

This was taken in mid September, we've got snow now so the c14 is stored away till spring.
johnnyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #44
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,542
I've had my C14 since February. Just rolled over 21,000 miles last week on the way back from Las Vegas, NV (rode 2800 miles in 4 days). Best bike I've ever ridden. Super smooth, great suspension, awesome brakes, good fit/finish, blah, blah, blah. I really like this bike.

Mods: Cee Bailey Euro Tour windscreen, Murphs Fenda Extenda, Symtec heated grip elements with Galindo Superbike grips, PCA Bar risers, RAM mount for GPS (on clutch side bar), Givi 460L trunk mounted on a PCA Rack, Wagner 90/130 headlight bulbs, Cee Bailey bag liners, Throttle Rocker, Flies out and Dynojet PCIII (whoa, Nellie!) which supposedly results in nearly 150hp at the rear wheel and upper 90's for torque. Pulling the flies adds a bunch of HP on the bottom end. By far, the best mod for LD Riding is the $8 beaded seat cover from WalMart. Makes 1000 mile days effortless (I did 3 this year).

MPG to date is around 45mpg. Had the Tire Pressure Sensors replaced under warranty (inop on delivery) but have had no other issues. I should probably inspect the valves sometime soon. I run synthetic oil and change it every 5000-10000 miles.

Tires: The OEM Bridgestones were alright but the front was worn out @ 3500 miles. Went with Michelin PR2's. Replaced the rear tire at 18,xxx...yes, that's right the rear tire lasted 15,000 miles and was just down to the wear bars. The front still has several thousand miles of tread left! I check the PSI via the TPS every ride.

Saddlebags are huge, waterproof and easy to remove.

There's not a thing I don't like about this bike. I've ridden it in about 20 states this year in temps from 20deg F to 119 (Death Valley in September!) with nary a complaint.

YMMV.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #45
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,051
bags?

they are not huge, the old Conni had big bags, big RECTANGULAR bags, the new ones are f'd up on the shape, but large inside.
oh, and they force you to mount this beast like you are climbing on "ol' paint" cowboy style, lest you scar the right side bag every time you get on... alllly ooooop.

I can't get my briefcase/laptop in them no way, gotta go in the tail trunk... it takes some creative thinking, judicious restraint on stuff carried, and compression sacks to pack for a 2 up week long ride (in the summer).
I wish they would have made a newer version of the old bags a part of this bike.... But I still love it.
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote