User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #766
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Battery Tenders

After searching around, I am drawing a blank. So, can you hook battery tender and power for heated liner directly to 2010 C14 battery without cutting into the fairing? Odd battery arrangement here as I was planning to buy new-old-stock 2010 model and install my gear in the parkling lot
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #767
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
After searching around, I am drawing a blank. So, can you hook battery tender and power for heated liner directly to 2010 C14 battery without cutting into the fairing? Odd battery arrangement here as I was planning to buy new-old-stock 2010 model and install my gear in the parkling lot
I mounted a couple of Powerlet outlets on my '08.

One was mounted on a handle-bar riser, to provide power for a ram-ball mounted Garmin -- this outlet was fused and tapped into the accessory leads under the lefthand panel.

The other outlet, was mounted on the lefthand dash panel and ran directly to the battery. This outlet was used to power heated clothing and a small air compressor, but was used more frequently in the off season as a way to keep the battery charged without removing the side access panel -- I fitted a 1.5A trickle charger with a Powerlet male plug and plugged it in over-night about once a month. Worked well.

In retrospect however, I wouldn't mount that outlet in the same location. If I had to do it over again, I would go direct to the battery with a shorter harness and keep the whole thing coiled under the seat for deployment when needed.

Of course, you don't HAVE to use a Powerlet outlet either, but I find them to be built pretty robust and easier to use.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #768
motogogo66
Ohio Rider

Oddometer: 96
2012 Concours

I have my 2012 Concours for sale for $ 12,300 It is in excellent condition.Nothing wrong with the bike, just not the bike for me. It is located in south western Ohio.
motogogo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #769
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the quick reply!!! But here's the thing IKIGAI: I'm not sure about the 2008, but the 2010 accesses the battery from the starboard side and it slides outboard to be removed. It is a strange deal to me and it looks, at first and second glance, that one would need to cut a notch in the flawless side panel to get the pigtails out. My hopes were to take delivery and attach pigtails and ride off into the sunset (or rain as mother nature may have it today).

Any 2010 with battery tenders out there? BTW, I scoured COG and found nothing on this topic. Might be the fact that I'm looking from behind a nasty firewall tho.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #770
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
I'm not sure about the 2008, but the 2010 accesses the battery from the starboard side and it slides outboard to be removed. It is a strange deal to me and it looks, at first and second glance, that one would need to cut a notch in the flawless side panel to get the pigtails out.
2008-current are the same in this regard.

Look at this also

http://www.advancedsporttouring.com/...kt-056-046.htm

Since the battery leads exit the battery compartment without having to cut the side panel, I don't see where you would have an issue?
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #771
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Egodriver, that's neat stuff indeed! Looks like it really isn't as big a change to the battery compartment as online Kawasaki manual had me thinking (or not thinking maybe). I'm gonna catch a ride to the shop and mount my pigtails in the parking lot. I'm pretty excited, especially after eyeballing Concours history on the web all night. This will be, by leaps and bounds, the most "techy" bike I've ever owned.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #772
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
My 2012 Concours has the Battery Tender plug/cord routed from the battery and chassis ground (near battery) routed to exit betweet the seat and left side panel. Same for the TourMaster jacket heater. They stick out about 2-3 inches. Easy enough to get to. I put a piece of 3M clear film to prevent the plugs from wearing on the side panel paint. That doesn't look to be a problem and only a pre-caution.

2012 Concours 1400 (an adventuring bike!)

My one and only ride report . . . Iron Butt Association member 50689
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #773
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,874
Quote:

You have to slide the battery out a little bit to get to the top of the positive, and the ground is right there into the frame.

If you pop the right inner fairing cover, you can run wires up to the top of the charcoal canister following the stock harness and leave them tucked away when not in use.
You can pop that cover without removing the windshield if you have a long right angle pick (booger hook) tool to remove the plastic rivet fastener under it.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #774
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!!! But here's the thing IKIGAI: I'm not sure about the 2008, but the 2010 accesses the battery from the starboard side and it slides outboard to be removed. It is a strange deal to me and it looks, at first and second glance, that one would need to cut a notch in the flawless side panel to get the pigtails out. My hopes were to take delivery and attach pigtails and ride off into the sunset (or rain as mother nature may have it today).

Any 2010 with battery tenders out there? BTW, I scoured COG and found nothing on this topic. Might be the fact that I'm looking from behind a nasty firewall tho.
I did it on my 2009, the battery tender came out the right side and by lifting the tank I took my heated gear out the left side. Both could come out the right without cutting anything.
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #775
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

I got it done, and no big deal. I was worried for nothing and all the replies are spot-on in various ways. I routed both pigtails out of "inspection panel" without cuts or modification and I'm off and rolling.

I like this bike: comfy, smooth as silk, stealthy in Neptune Blue, and gobs of cargo space. Actually really surprised at the ergonomics and not needing much at all. In truth, a Throttlemiester would be nice as would be a +2" windscreen, but not big deals either way. Seat is shockingly good. Power is just giggling-like-a-kiddo fast.

Here's a boring photo:
IMG_0211
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #776
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
I got it done, and no big deal. I was worried for nothing and all the replies are spot-on in various ways. I routed both pigtails out of "inspection panel" without cuts or modification and I'm off and rolling.

I like this bike: comfy, smooth as silk, stealthy in Neptune Blue, and gobs of cargo space. Actually really surprised at the ergonomics and not needing much at all. In truth, a Throttlemiester would be nice as would be a +2" windscreen, but not big deals either way. Seat is shockingly good.
Good to hear.

Quote:
Power is just giggling-like-a-kiddo fast.
You aren't kidding!!! I love the power and the smoothness, but without the 'we refined all of the fun out it' Honda.

Also look into becoming a COG member. Just remember that membership has its privileges.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #777
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #778
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
That is what mine looks like.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #779
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
a Throttlemiester would be nice as would be a +2" windscreen, but not big deals either way.

Here's a boring photo:
IMG_0211

I'm 5'9" tall, and on an '09 model I found the standard screen shocking.... got myself a Calsci Large and it has absolutely transformed the bike
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #780
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Screens

Bryn, at 5'7", I think the sport height from CalSci would be my max. What width do you get? That large height at +5.75" looks a beast!

In truth, I was already leaning towards CeeBailey +2" (the EuroCut) but CalSci's relief cut is interesting. There's a lot of back pressure at full height and highway speeds.

Any other inmates have thoughts on screens? That's like asking a fellow what his favorite shoes are...let the opinions fly.