Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #886
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
It will make more difference than the pipe ever will.

Guide:

1. remove the little black filler pieces on the top sides of the gas tank.
2. Remove center plastic piece on gas tank
3. remove bolts holding down the rear of the gas tank
4. tilt tank forward (a friend or a block of wood can support it.)
5. remove the two plates below the tank that lead into the airbox
6. Remove flies. 2 JIS screws per fly
7. Reverse order to button it back up.

8. Profit and wheelie!

This is vague, but self explanatory once you're into it.

DO IT!
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #887
Maximus64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
DO IT! I was running the stock can 'til just recently. Flies have been pulled for awhile. You won't regret it.
Maximus64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #888
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
My inner child is grinning ear-to-ear and today's chili is simmering for 15 more minutes...I gotta be patient and do this fly removal after the next few work days. You fellas are naughty, naughty, and I'm sure Santa is watching this behavior.

I am also guessing a soldering iron (own that!) and a magnetic screwdriver might help. Maybe I can park this thing long enough for a Guhl reflash.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #889
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
My inner child is grinning ear-to-ear and today's chili is simmering for 15 more minutes...I gotta be patient and do this fly removal after the next few work days. You fellas are naughty, naughty, and I'm sure Santa is watching this behavior.

I am also guessing a soldering iron (own that!) and a magnetic screwdriver might help. Maybe I can park this thing long enough for a Guhl reflash.

if you are doing the Guhl reflash you dont need to pull the flies.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #890
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm learning how this whole mega-hotrod thing works, but I'm a tad slow. I see that the Guhl reflash lessens the second flies' effect quite a bit and gives a similar result.

Not to start a big debate, but why are some owners doing one over the other? Price of Guhl's service maybe? I really don't care to do any more than flies OR reflash and a nice sounding, cooler running pipe. I'm guessing economy is the same without flies or with a reflash- kind of figure neither mod decreases the C14's efficiency.

Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #891
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,390
Laugh

Just picked up my 2008 with 6k miles.

It came with a few farkles too! It has a Corbin with passenger backrest, risers, windscreen, bag liners, warranty til 2014 and new rubber. The previous owner also had pre-wired it with a fuse box for heated gear, a GPS and a radar detector.

My slip-on Vance and Hines is on order, as are my JIS screwdrivers. Now I just need to wait until I can sneak the PCV into the budget. The thought of an autotune is intriguing but I think I'll just use maps from fuelmoto vs. welding on a bung. I'd rather not have to pull the header to tap it for a wideband 02.

Overall, I'm loving this thing. I'm not so sure about the Corbin but I'll give it some time. Oh....it took me less than 24 hours to drop it and apply scratches in the garage. DOH!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #892
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

SimpleSimon, congrats, good looking bike! The Connie is addictive somehow.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #893
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
I'm learning how this whole mega-hotrod thing works, but I'm a tad slow. I see that the Guhl reflash lessens the second flies' effect quite a bit and gives a similar result.

Not to start a big debate, but why are some owners doing one over the other? Price of Guhl's service maybe? I really don't care to do any more than flies OR reflash and a nice sounding, cooler running pipe. I'm guessing economy is the same without flies or with a reflash- kind of figure neither mod decreases the C14's efficiency.

Thoughts?

Guhl actually makes power by removing fuel and leaning out the mixture. These bikes are setup rich from the factory.

Also, if you have a `10up, he doesn't touch the Eco map, so you still have that.

As for reflash vs fly removal, personal preference. Some want to save some cash and just pull the flies. Some want to do it without any obvious modifications.

Also, the reflash allows traction control to work as smooth as it did from the factory. Pull the flies and the computer can only cut fuel and timing.

$.02
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #894
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

2010 here and here's my logic.

-Pulling flies is free.
-You can add a PC if you like and have the bike tuned for exactly the setup you have down the road if you decide to change anything although you don't need to.
-completely reversible in 10 minutes if you ever need any warranty work done to the engine.

-Reflash is expensive.
- It's tuned to someone else's bike unless you actually go to Guhl and have it done.
- The entire bike is computer controlled so I'm concerned about warranty work should I have any issues.
- You need to send it away if you need to go back to stock
- The flies are never "fully opened"

As far as traction control goes you can't tell the difference. I have quite a few dirt miles on mine and you can crack the throttle wide open and just chug on down the road seamlessly.

The only upside I see to a reflash is being able to remove the speed limiter on the 2010 model+ if you frequently need to go over 150 mph.
IBA #33260
Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #895
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Good info guys! You never know, I might need to go over 150 on my morning commute just to outrun the Porsche driving crowd in my town...

Bottom line is that neither mod is permanent and both get the job done. I will probably wait thru the holidays and then hit all these things at once when I can really get a kick-in-the-pants result.

The whole process is kind of fun because the bike really doesn't "need" anything. It is all gilding the lily.

sweetwater screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 06:38 PM
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #896
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
2010 here and here's my logic.

-Pulling flies is free.
-You can add a PC if you like and have the bike tuned for exactly the setup you have down the road if you decide to change anything although you don't need to.
-completely reversible in 10 minutes if you ever need any warranty work done to the engine.

-Reflash is expensive.
- It's tuned to someone else's bike unless you actually go to Guhl and have it done.
- The entire bike is computer controlled so I'm concerned about warranty work should I have any issues.
- You need to send it away if you need to go back to stock
- The flies are never "fully opened"

As far as traction control goes you can't tell the difference. I have quite a few dirt miles on mine and you can crack the throttle wide open and just chug on down the road seamlessly.

The only upside I see to a reflash is being able to remove the speed limiter on the 2010 model+ if you frequently need to go over 150 mph.
Once you add the PC, you're at the cost of the reflash.

And the flies do fully open with the reflash. Yes they are still in there, but so is the shaft if you pull the flies. And I'd be willing to bet that fully open flies smooth airflow more than bare shafts.
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #897
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egodriver71 View Post
Once you add the PC, you're at the cost of the reflash.

And the flies do fully open with the reflash. Yes they are still in there, but so is the shaft if you pull the flies. And I'd be willing to bet that fully open flies smooth airflow more than bare shafts.

Without further going into the can of worms....mine never opened completely perpendicular so I doubt your thesis.

At the end of the day we're talking about zero performance difference between the two methods. I stand by my statement that not being a fatass is the best way to make the bike quicker.
IBA #33260
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #898
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Without further going into the can of worms....mine never opened completely perpendicular so I doubt your thesis.

At the end of the day we're talking about zero performance difference between the two methods. I stand by my statement that not being a fatass is the best way to make the bike quicker.

That seems to be true for all bikes, but the hardest to accomplish !

Being a Fat ass myself.

This bike is so damn fast as is, i find myself over the speed limit all the time.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s

MKorn screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 04:49 AM Reason: spelling
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #899
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Quote:
I stand by my statement that not being a fatass is the best way to make the bike quicker.
I can't deny that one!!!!
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #900
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
That seems to be true for all bikes, but the hardest to accomlish !

Being a Fat ass myself.

This bike is so damn fast as is, i find myself over the speed limit all the time.
+1

At 5' 10" and 230 lbs, I don't notice a problem when I look down and realize I'm going WAY too fast on a stock bike. :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote