Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #901
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
I'm kind of a middle weight at 175#, so a little diet wouldn't hurt me either (good lord, I sound like the missus). If I rode more, I'd eat less

What I wanna know is how does either set of mods (no flies vs no flies and PC vs reflash) change the economy. If Guhl keeps the eco mode but a PC doesn't, then is there a real world difference? I consider the bike to be rather efficient in stock form and I'd like to hear what you guys are experiencing with mods. It also seems like a pipe would only help if bike is as rich from factory as claimed, kind of a balance to the fuel mix. So, pipe isn't big part of efficiency equation but certainly helps performance. Correct my if I'm going in the wrong direction here.

In all truth, it doesn't matter too much unless it is drastic fuel efficiency change. I enjoyed good economy on my GS when on long rides and if I want mega economy I can ride the WRX or buy a SilverWing. The Connie is not meant to be an econobike but it it does really well.

Mostly just curious and trying not to eyeball the ribeye sitting in the fridge, right next to the Fat Tire Winter Ale and the German Chocolate Cake, all conspiring to lower my HP rating.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #902
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
What I wanna know is how does either set of mods (no flies vs no flies and PC vs reflash) change the economy. If Guhl keeps the eco mode but a PC doesn't, then is there a real world difference? I consider the bike to be rather efficient in stock form and I'd like to hear what you guys are experiencing with mods. It also seems like a pipe would only help if bike is as rich from factory as claimed, kind of a balance to the fuel mix. So, pipe isn't big part of efficiency equation but certainly helps performance. Correct my if I'm going in the wrong direction here.
The PC doesn't remove your Eco mapping either. But since it intercepts the computers signals to the injectors and modifys them, I would assume it affects the Eco mapping, just as it does the regular mapping.

Part of why I'm a fan on reflashing. You get into the main computer and alter it to suit your needs. That way everything else stays completely stock and you don;t have to mess with anything else.

Also, keep in mind that a PC, only affects injector timing, it will not alter the opening rate of the flies. Which is why most people who install a PC, remove the flies. The reflash opens the flies all the way much sooner, yet still retaining their functions for other aspects.

I really doubt you'd be disappointed in a reflash.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #903
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,386
I love it when a plan comes together!

I took my time tonight and did the following:

Installed my PCV with maps from Fuelmoto
Went off without a hitch. I took my time and took the left side fairing off. The only real challenging part of this was fishing out the wiring harness from under the throttle bodies. However, it went together perfectly. I placed the PCV unit inside the glove compartment since I want access to the USB should I need it. However, it's always possible to pull the glove compartment and move it since the cover is only held by 2 screws. I had fuel-moto install a fuel map for pulled flies and a slip-on CS One exhaust.

Pulled the flies!
I prepped for this by buying a JIS screwdriver set from Amazon that included a 15" or so long JIS head screwdriver. No heating required, it worked really well and the screws came out effortlessly. I also stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a telescoping magnet to use along side the screwdriver. It worked as planned and the moment a screw became loose, I pulled it with the screwdriver. Flies came out with my fingers and no challenges. I didn't pull the tank to do the job. I just used a strap to lift the tank and attached the strap to the rear luggage rack to hold it out of the way.

I did need to adjust the idle and to a TPS reset once warmed up. It sounds fantastic and I can't wait to take it for a rip once I get a break in the weather to open it up a bit.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #904
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
After reading everybody's reports (on this and other forums) on how easy the hop-ups are on this bike, it really seems Kawasaki meant for it to be done.

SimpleSimon, you gotta report on the results when you get a chance.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #905
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
After reading everybody's reports (on this and other forums) on how easy the hop-ups are on this bike, it really seems Kawasaki meant for it to be done.

Soon after pulling my flies, installing a PCIII and AreaP slipon, I was headed out on a camping trip. Had just gotten on I-95 when two sportbikes rolled in behind me. I kept it in second up the entrance ramp. As soon as the merge lines appeared, the sportbikes cranked it up to pass me. I had already pinned the throttle.

The GSXR1000 pulled alongside about 140 before backing out of it. I moved to the middle lane and let the sportbikes by.

I ain't saying the C14 is faster than a GSXR1000, rather... a C14 will give most literbikes fits in most real world situations.

YMMV.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #906
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
You can achieve this if have the black version of course.

2012 Concours 1400 | 2008 Z1000 | 1999 WR-400F
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #907
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,300
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #908
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Quote:

Will do. I think that if I were smart, I would hunt down a full exhaust and have a wideband O2 sensor added to my PCV. Either way....the bike purrs and seems to like the new slip-on. The stock pipe on that thing must be 50lbs.

Cheers!
SimpleSimon

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #909
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 1,990
Had a guy ask me the other day if I though the C14 would keep up with a R6.

I just said, nah, it would walk away from it. He didn't believe me.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #910
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,300
Wow, only $388 for the CS one...

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #911
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Wow, only $388 for the CS one...

Where at?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #912
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireIdiot View Post
Where at?

$350 chrome
http://www.indysuperbike.com/Vance__...-17895739.html

$390 black
http://www.indysuperbike.com/Vance__...-17895745.html
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #913
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
Thank You!

FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #914
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireIdiot View Post
Thank You!
Double thanks. Need to replace the boat anchor on the wife's C14.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #915
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
Double thanks. Need to replace the boat anchor on the wife's C14.
No kidding....the stock can is a boat anchor. The CS One ships with a silencer and sounds fantastic once you start climbing the RPMs. I took it out today and it ran like my 954! Very impressed with this setup.