ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #2161
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,124
new tag:
Old 07-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #2162
conibear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425

View Adirondacks Tag-O-Rama 101 - 200 in a larger map
conibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #2163
Ballics
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Tagged

Ballics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #2164
Ballics
Dirty Adventurer

New Tag........

Sorry about the picture quality, but the sun was in my eyes

Ballics screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 04:10 PM
Old 07-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #2165
wlightn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballics View Post

nice...just went by that the other day!
wlightn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #2166
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Nothing to do but hike, ride my motorcycle and bicycle, and read so I went and got the tag.
Got:

Drop:

This tag is at the end of a dirt road, the road is pretty rutted, rocky, though currently not muddy. I would ride a bike with street tires down it, but not something with minimal ground clearance.
If you do not want to have some fun or are on the wrong bike here is an alternate tag, which is right before the "fun" starts.

You might not find and pyramids or mummy's, but the end of Pharaoh Rd. is kind of fun.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #2167
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballics View Post

Nice tag Ballics. In passing that sign over the years, I wondered about who he was and the story. Also nice to make the connection to Henry Crandall, who's name adorns the library and main park in Glen's Falls. Found this bit of Hx of Indian lake with the connection:

"But the Indians were not destined to dwell forever in their primitive fashion. Their seemingly relentless enemy, the white man, was pushing farther and farther into the wilds and with his axe, cutting down the Indian's best friend, our virgin forest. About 1835, Reuben Rist, a great hunter and trapper, came here. While on his journey he found plenty of game and fish. He decided to settle and soon had a little house built in the midst of an unbroken forest. Into this he moved his family and dwelt in happiness befriending every one who came to his door.

One freezing morning early in midwinter, after he had lived here several years and had constructed a few paths through the forests, he was aroused by a loud knocking on the door of his cabin. Ever ready to do a kindness, he ran and opened it. He saw a young boy about eighteen years old standing on the threshhold and almost frozen with cold. This boy said his ox team had run away from him and he had almost frozen trying to catch them. Little did Rist think then that the boy he was befriending was one day to become the philanthropist of Glens Falls and also a great lumberman of the Adirondacks. This man was Henry Crandall, whose death a few years ago was felt by all with whom he had come in contact. Down on the banks of Indian River in sight of the highway is an old tombstone, tottering and moss-covered. On it is inscribed, "In memory of Reuben Rist, and wife, first settlers on township 15, where they lived to a good old age." It was placed there by Mr. Crandall."

Full read of above excerpt on Indian Lake. http://hamilton.nygenweb.net/history...nlake1917.html
Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #2168
Ballics
Dirty Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Nice tag Ballics. In passing that sign over the years, I wondered about who he was and the story. Also nice to make the connection to Henry Crandall, who's name adorns the library and main park in Glen's Falls. Found this bit of Hx of Indian lake with the connection:

"But the Indians were not destined to dwell forever in their primitive fashion. Their seemingly relentless enemy, the white man, was pushing farther and farther into the wilds and with his axe, cutting down the Indian's best friend, our virgin forest. About 1835, Reuben Rist, a great hunter and trapper, came here. While on his journey he found plenty of game and fish. He decided to settle and soon had a little house built in the midst of an unbroken forest. Into this he moved his family and dwelt in happiness befriending every one who came to his door.

One freezing morning early in midwinter, after he had lived here several years and had constructed a few paths through the forests, he was aroused by a loud knocking on the door of his cabin. Ever ready to do a kindness, he ran and opened it. He saw a young boy about eighteen years old standing on the threshhold and almost frozen with cold. This boy said his ox team had run away from him and he had almost frozen trying to catch them. Little did Rist think then that the boy he was befriending was one day to become the philanthropist of Glens Falls and also a great lumberman of the Adirondacks. This man was Henry Crandall, whose death a few years ago was felt by all with whom he had come in contact. Down on the banks of Indian River in sight of the highway is an old tombstone, tottering and moss-covered. On it is inscribed, "In memory of Reuben Rist, and wife, first settlers on township 15, where they lived to a good old age." It was placed there by Mr. Crandall."

Full read of above excerpt on Indian Lake. http://hamilton.nygenweb.net/history...nlake1917.html
Thanks Rich!
I have a few books on the Adirondacks and enjoy reading about all the history there is in that region....... Jon
Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #2169
thinker
Simple is Better

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Nothing to do but hike, ride my motorcycle and bicycle, and read so I went and got the tag.
Hey Rich, What kind of biking do you do? I am an avid bike tourer and just finished a 12 day ride (camping and motels).pretty soon I'll be getting the little beamer out to do some tagging !

take care, Steve
Old 07-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #2170
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

I'm headed up this morn to pick up the tag and then do some recon for next Saturday's ride if anyone wants to meet and ride up into the high peaks area. I'll be leaving Corinth around 8:30.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #2171
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
I'm headed up this morn to pick up the tag and then do some recon for next Saturday's ride if anyone wants to meet and ride up into the high peaks area. I'll be leaving Corinth around 8:30.
Heading down to the city for a few days in a bit so I am out. Back up next week at some point.
Enjoy, and hoping to see you take that big TDm all the way to the end of the road. Might ride up next week on mine.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #2172
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,774
Where you headed with it? (not specifics, just in general)? Maybe we could meet for a late lunch? I think we three are headed N/E today...Hmmmm....
Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #2173
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Tagola
Hmmm, tech glitch here...
Post later, if bruced all good.

-----------------------

OK, Take 2

Short vid from the trail bridge.

Great tag Rich. Fun ride in and only one puddle at the end. Knobs needed for sure if it gets wet in there. Loved the whoops.

----------------------
Vid loaded in smug, but no play.... try again later.

AdvRich screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 12:33 PM Reason: Add pic and vid
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #2174
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Keene/placid area. I'll check in again after a bit of recon.

---------------------------

Chuck what's your 20? I had to ride to camp to post the tag. Still want to meet up? I'm about 15 minutes out of SL.

AdvRich screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 11:36 AM Reason: Update
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #2175
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Heading down to the city for a few days in a bit so I am out. Back up next week at some point.
Enjoy, and hoping to see you take that big TDm all the way to the end of the road. Might ride up next week on mine.
Yeah, bring it up. Heck two in the same place constitutes a TDM rally...
It'll be a good ride next week, mostly pavement with great scenery and twisties.
Be good to see the scoot and meet up.