ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
PDXPapaBear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Practice Da Skillz Day

So my mama said it never hurts to ask cause the worst you can ever get is a NO..., so here it goes.

Would any of you veteran riders of the dirt be into hosting a skillz demo day that would aimed at new to dirt riders and also getting more folks into our local "Portland-Ish" ADV group. I see a lot of great camaraderie here and healthy amounts of razzing,so seems like a possibility.

I personally have been riding street from 25+ years but I know I need some schoolin.

I have looked at some schools and they all seem very expensive and also not to close to us here. I would be down to help in anyway I can but I always learn better from folks who know more that me,. Watch and learn kinda drillz.

What Ya'll thinkin?
PDXPapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,457
Not that I know much, but I would be happy to spend a few hours going over some of the basics that have I accumulated riding and racing off-road. What type of bike you riding, because that would make a difference. PM is fine if you prefer.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
lavrgs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
What a great idea - wish I had asked...
KTM 350 exc-f
lavrgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,031
Hey I think this is a great idea.

My skills are pretty much in the Intermediate range, I could help out a real beginner with some basics, but the expert level skills I see some other riders use appear to be more based on experience and practice. I think I'd get a lot more out of just riding the technical stuff with other patient riders and soliciting/listening to advice.

I've often wished I lived in an area that had closer access to some dirt or a quarry or something where I could go a practice for an hour or so, but there's nothing really close to here for that. And by the time I get to the woods I want to "practice" by riding, not doing "drills". I know I should though.

I do have a few Dirt Riding/Dual Sport riding 101 type videos, and a few of the drills they show there are more around basic bike handling at slow speed. Doing steering lock circles at as low a speed as you can go while slipping the clutch is a good one for example. I got to say though, seeing skills in a video or demonstration is WAY different than practicing the skill.

Another way to approach this, is to throw out a ride announcement on the PDX offroad thread. State where you want to meet, where you want to ride, what you will be riding and your skill level. I have found that more often then not, there is nearly always somebody in a similar boat that would like to ride at your same level. And usually there are some much better riders who often show up, just for the camaraderie and are willing to give advice. Some of the riders I've met by doing just that have been really helpful to me and many I now call my friends.

Of course, this time of years you got to pick your weekends. My rule is if the forecast is showers or better you get a lot more takers. Light rain or worse (Rain, Heavy Rain, Snow, Ice etc.) are good days to work in the shop, or do drills in your neighborhood

Good luck, and let us know if you pull something together.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
mr.ajandkj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Interested...
mr.ajandkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 665
Pdxpapabear,
What ScottPDX said is very good and very informational! Scott and I have ridden a bunch together! I had more dirt experience but...I never really taught him anything while riding, just was patient and told him where to go! He has taught me a lot also!
It has been a fun learning experience to hang with riders of different levels.... I just seem to always happen this way! Just like he said the fast guys have to wait for the slower riders anyway, so why not help out!

If your serious the best areas to learn off road techniques IMHO is East Fort Rock and Millican Plateau in the winter months, It offers a great beginning to intermediate challenge esp if you go with someone that knows the trails... I know them fairly well! You can practice skills in many of the camp areas as they are huge and have great traction! We have set up barrels and done barrel racing drills for hours! Pull out a big log or tree and practice crossing it, opposite lock slow speed turning, and acceleration drills, stopping drills! You can burn some hours and it's a hoot as everyone laughs and jokes about how hard some of this is and how easy some of it gets in a day!
Tilamook is too tight muddy and slippery to teach in the winter! It's no fun to slip and slid and fall, get back up and do it again while sweating and getting rained on! Your goggles get all footy and it can get dangerous! No real space to get out and practice drills!

I'm willing to go over sometime soon and help out with some newbies and intermediates..... I'm no expert, but I can ride fairly well and communicate what you need to do, show you and offer some advice!
We can ride sand, rocks, bermed trails, and do short or long loops! It is really and beginner to intermediate place to ride depending on your speed! There are very few areas that have cliffs, or bad clay snotty surfaces, it all really fun!
It's worth the drive to go over and camp and ride for two or three days! It's nice to have a big fire in the winter too keep warm! Most of us hardcore guys camp but you can get a hotel in Bend if that suits you better! I'll camp cause I like it and I'm cheap!
I usually go over for four or five times during the fall, winter and spring! The best riding is right after it rains.... as it can get quite dusty!
Let me know what works for you guys!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!

pigpen screwed with this post 12-18-2014 at 09:10 PM
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
^ I could get behind something like this if there was a small group of folks. I'm sure there's something I could learn. Oh yeah- don't use street technique in the dirt and grab a handful of front brake in the dirt to slow down for a corner. My shoulder is still not completely healed from the July washout I had on Mt Hood.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I'd be into something like this. I need to get better at all of it.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
eric n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
good idea

I remember my first few runs after not being on a bike in over 10 years. then add heavy dirt bike and you can get in over your head. "it's a different dance with a dual sport"

what i think is needed is a run with a few experienced riders with the patients for the slower riders and that we don't give them grief for being behind the curve.

I didn't really feel comfortable until after 10k miles. where I think things really got easier psychologically was after riding sand. then the standing on the bike part really made sense and now if I go over something difficult I go to sand mode.

this is where I went to ride sand. https://goo.gl/maps/TsR3i jones beach. had other riders with me so if you got stuck or fell over we had help. and it's a thick gray sand not ocean beach or deep desert.

adjusting your levers for standing is a very high priority for newer riders. you can put it back later but having a understanding of the concept and physically doing it.

also put actual knobbies on your bike. doing a half measure of stock klr tires got one of my friends a broken collar bone. dunlop 606 Michelin t63 conti tkc80 etc. namely for the early riding on gravel dirt etc. there are riders who can do these things on a v-strom BUTT they have experience you don't YET.
eric n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
pigpen
Gone Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post
I'd be into something like this. I need to get better at all of it.
Jungle Man, whaddamean,,, you can help teach! You ride fine, what you need is and advanced riding school!

Old 12-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,683
this time of year Diamond Mill area isn't too bad for practice stuff. it's lower elevation which doesn't get as much snow, and there's easy trails right out of the parking lot.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
pigpen
Gone Riding

What Eric said!
Knobbies are a requirement to effectively learn to ride in the dirt! I have seen so many people try to learn on the wrong or equipment or tires! They give up, go back to street or just plain get hurt!

Standing is a huge part of riding off road also! Learning the technique and being comfortable standing is big! Your controls should be setup for both standing and sitting, easy to do just take some time for adjustment and get the controls so you can reach them comfortably from both positions...

Riding in the sand is one of the best places to learn many standup riding techniques! This is why I like East Fort Rock and Millican Plateau for training and teaching. Without going to all sand and wanting a paddle tire there are some trails and spots that you can learn to deal with sand!

Old 12-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,046
Slower riders are a benefit to faster riders for at least two reasons :you get time to rest, without having to admit you are tired, and if you stuff it, help is already on the way.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
and if you stuff it, help is already on the way.
nahhh....someone to take pictures and post up while you are down is on the way.
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post
nahhh....someone to take pictures and post up while you are down is on the way.
Yeah, that too.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote