ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #11491
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
Pirelli MT21 faster or slower wearing than the Kenda 270 that I have on the rear?

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #11492
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
Pirelli MT21 faster or slower wearing than the Kenda 270 that I have on the rear?
Faster but better off road traction.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #11493
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,347
never used a Kenda,,but I won't buy MT21's again,,due to wear factor, and being absolutely skeery on wet pavement,,not that we ever ride in the wet,,

TKC80's,,great tires,,corner like road tires on pavement, pretty good offroad.
good front tire, the rears wear out way too fast for the money. I cooked a rear in one trip to Idamaho and back, on a airhead GS! (plus 100 degrees F, and pushing the recommended tire speed.)

MT21,,front and rear wear out too quickly,,good tire for gravel,,great in the dirt!
not a tire you want to push too hard on pavement,,,terrifying on wet pavement (but then,,I ride a bit aggressively)

Dunlop D606,,good tire for the price. More trusty when being pushed hard on pavement, and wear factor is better by far than the MT21,,bout the same for the front TKC's,,availability is better than many brands.

Heidenau K60 Scout,,gottem on the KLR now,,hate the front tire,,it's okay on pavement,,even when pushed hard,, but not a great gravel tire,,and HORRIBLE in snow!,,the rear seems to be a good replacement for the Avon Gripsters having a heavier tread block and a good wear factor,,so far.
Expensive,,and I have never met a rear tire that was so hard to mount, and set the bead,,I'd hate to have to change it on the trail! not sure I even could!

Michelin T63 is a decent rear,,wear out kinda quick, but fairly cheap. Never ran a front,,,don't know about them. I think OreMike has used them with good results.

Avon Gripsters are a bit more pavement oriented, wear factor is HIGH, great on road tire,,back off the speeds when wet,,the front hates snow and sticky mud, and soon packs up & becomes a slick,,(but still better than the Heidenau front!)

For bigger bikes we could discuss Anakees, and Karoos,(), and Tourances,,but these would mostly work for commuting on a smaller bike.
Then, some folks run a knobby up front and a better wearing less agressive shoe on the back.
In the short description,,Tourance over Anakee for wear,,Karoos go away in a weekend.
Anakees over Tourance in the wet,,forget Karoos on wet pavement!

I only know the tires I DON"T LIKE,,and the MT21 is high on that list.
When I had the 12GS I was in the bidness of wearing out tires, tried them all,,,and the best yet for overall fun was the Continental TKC 80. I just got used to buying tires in double sets,,one set to mount,,and another rear for when I got back home!
There is also a slight difference in the tires made in Germany as opposed to the TKC's made in Korea,,the German made Conti's grip better when you are leaned over hard from overcooking a turn!
of course,,YMMV,,,
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #11494
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,389
Hey Peterman, what kind of mileage do you get out of a Gripster? I'm torn between them and the Shinko 705's for my summer commuting tire.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #11495
peterman
cop magnet

Bluhduh I fell down!

Ran my errands all over town at the last minute!
Made it to the bank before they closed and made the all important deposit of funds for continued shop survival,,Yay!,,all chores done,,even cut all the weeds around the bilding!
Seems like a good reason to stock up on some celebratory beers, and knowing that Bi-Mart has my cheap favorite for low prices,, I went there!
On the DRZ, I always pull up over the curb and park amongst the shrubbery, kinda my own private parking spot.
On the KLR I usually park in the little triangle beside the shopping cart return rack,,one less car!
Today when I rode up, there was an empty parking space right up front, so, I selected nootral, and coasted right into the very center of it,,taking the entire space like I was entitled to it, and all!

Put the kickstand down, (and start to pull off my helmet in one smooth move,exhibiting all the coolness and confidence that comes with a kickass day,like,,I'm in charge here!),,,but the bike is leaning away from it,,,,wait,,WHAT!,,my bike feels like it's falling over on the throttle side!,
,No Rilly,,this is serious,,aqnd I'm stone frikken sober!,,this is really happening!
I realize that I am so content with having accomplished chores beyond duties that I completely disregarded the laws of gravity and balance,,and my KLR is headed for the pavement, and all I can do is watch,,and try to ease the progression!,I grab at the handlebars and lift weakly as my foot slides away from any help it may have given,,,nuthin doin,,she's going down,,right in the very center of the closest parking spot to the main entrance,,where ALL the people are likely to congregate!
I kinda stepped away from it as it splayed on it's side,,putt-putting away before I hit the kill switch.
An elderly lady viewing a display of plants there in front of the store watched the entire thing.
She asked if I was okay,,and I was glad she couldn't see the color of my face, when I yelled out "WELL,,SHIT!",,for all to hear!
I picked up the bike,, took off my hat, pulled the key from the ignition, and walked over sheepishly and told her,,"I just put the wrong foot down,,hasn't happened in a long time,,I guess I was due!",,
She said,,"well, you certainly made it look easy!",,, and I cracked up laughing on the spot!
At least I did it BEFORE I loaded the beer!
When I came back out of the store,,put my big box of Icehouse in the milk crate,,the bike wouldn't start,,,runnnn,runnnn,,ruunnn,,

Oh yeah!,,some dumbass at the controls had switched off the kill button!,,,nobody saw that part!

peterman screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 10:30 PM
Old 04-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #11496
peterman
cop magnet

tire history,,

Mikey,,I went thru my book, and found that I remounted my used Gripsters at 41,ooo and ran them until at least 45ought sumpthin, but I didn't find when I originally put them on, or how many miles they had before that 4000 mile run. I still have the front, and it still has an easy 1000 miles onnit I'd bet,,
I'll look thru the bike's folder and see if I can find a receipt for purchase,,but not likely, as I mostly do web based tire orders, y'know,,search ALL the sales,,buy the ones that are cheapest, and have free shipping,,if a really, rilly, good deal,,buy lots of them!
It gets harder to track tire history when you have more than one ride with a 21" front,,but if I got a steal of a price on TKC80 fronts,, I'd just buy a truckload and use them on both my bikes.

If I won the lottery and just bought a brand new KTM extreme-o,, I'd start out with TKC80's as a reference point!

EDIT FOR LATE THOTS,,
I never ran gripsters front and rear on the KLR,,always had a knob on the front, but always wanted smooth tires front and rear just to feel the KLR with no tire hummmmmm.
Motard wheel set,,,fat slicks,,many tickets,,possible jail time and loss of driving priv,,those are the ledges!,,don't step off that one!

peterman screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 11:12 PM
Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #11497
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,996
Ask steve about overkooking the mount and laying it over on the right, into a panel truck at the likker store in brookings...
tblume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #11498
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
I used to keep track of tire mileage. Now I don't. Give it a try. You'll thank me.

I'd vote for the TKC80 front knob for a 650 or large bike that did significant street. Best knobby for pavement and very good on dirt. Pump it up to max pressure for best wear on pavement.

The MT21 is a great tire for smaller bikes. It will melt away on bigger bikes.

The Dumb-lop 606 is a good dirt knob, but scary on the street.

On big bikes, I like the Pirelli Scorp A/T for a rear tire. Smaller bikes, just get anything. Putting a knob on the rear is a waste of time, at least you'll get to sample a lot of tires.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #11499
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
I don't know how many miles before I got it but they looked near new, 2950 I've put on the rear and maybe another 500? before there isn't a knob left. The Kenda works way better on the assfallt than I'd have expected, pleased with that. Not so good in soft stuff, like I expected.
I was looking to get something between the 606 and the kenda for gravel stability and hoping to not loose street manners and gain milage too. Looks like that won't happen. That suirrleyness on gravel is pretty unsettling.
Think I'll stay with the Kenda for another session during the hard ground time then switch to a MT21 when the rain visits again?

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #11500
Czechplease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I'm on my 2rd Gripster front and ready for my 4th Gripster rear for the Klr. They stick like glue on wet pavement, and I don't find my commute time into Eugene via the backroads in the pouring rain taking any longer than on dry days.

I'm slow as shit on dirt/gravel but...the morning ride to get to the office on time is my little version of the TT...in my mind, and apparently the Linn County Deputy that's hunting me. The rear's seem to wear evenly, but quickly down the middle with commuting trips primarily. The front's have been awesome, with even wear and great wet/dry pavement traction.

Over on the high desert stuff...the Gripsters seem to be what I should expect from a street-biased tire. They've done ok on the two-track stuff but the few times I got onto a real trail, and hit any kind of sand....not good! This last trip my buddy on his DR and I left even the single track stuff and just took off out through the sage. The Gripsters didn't really do anything wrong, and the many times I found myself stabbing a leg down to keep from falling was just due to the ground suddenly turning soft and the Klr not being ridden properly(faster). I'm sure knobbier tires would've helped my confidence/speed increase.

When we got into snow up to the pegs...NOT GOOD! My fairly worn rear actually provided some traction since the wear was mostly in the center but the front....
The few times I've had the Gripsters in real mud...not good! On gravel logging roads, I guess ok, but I hear most tires struggle with the gravel.

I'm still an offroad noob that's learning, but each ride's teaching me something. I guess if I can run the Klr with camping gear, 5.8gals of gas and my big(not fat) self on it, on a few different types of terrain without throwing it down due to the tires it says something about the Gripsters. I think I'm gonna try a set of K270's for the Fort Rock Dual Sport ride in June. I'll leave 'em on and see how they do on the commuting side but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the Gripsters for my regular tires.
Czechplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #11501
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,987
Almost made it until noon...

Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #11502
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
It's a weekend...all legit after noon eastern time...GMT in a pinch or if you're camping
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #11503
tblume
deus ex machina

Happy Ishtar, may you all be fruitful and multiply.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #11504
tblume
deus ex machina

this guy, with his wife and granddaughter, is the reason I ride. Fugger started speaking Russian when he saw the bike. Thanks again Motomuffin.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #11505
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,053
The expression on that baby's face looking over the handlebars made me think of one similar.

And oddly, the first YouTube listed was posted in Russian.

You can see the look at about 1:37. But check out the whole intro; it sounds like something Gloria would come up with.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote