User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Jim K. OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Must read.

Nick Goddard has an article in the "Ride Apart" site today that needs to be read by every manufacturer of motorcycles. It enumerates 16 things that "golden age" cycles used to have as standard, but somehow seem to have eroded away from the current crop. I think riders of every stripe, off road, boy racer, mile eating tourer, whatever will nod in agreement. It's well worth the read. Find it below:

http://rideapart.com/2014/04/16-ways...ore-enjoyable/
[/SIZE]
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
That article was from April
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Good read, thanks for linking to it.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
TM1(SS)
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Bloody good article!
TM1(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
good stuff in the article
not sure we all need heated grips though
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
It's a pretty good article, think on my VT750, the only things I miss are a fuel gauge, larger tank and grab rails. While I do love my gf hanging onto me, I'd still like for her to have an alternative too.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
domingo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Pissed

Wish your thread title meant something.
domingo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 525
Devils Advocate-

Looking at the article its more sportbike related and a few of those things add weight. Not alot but in the sportbike realm its better to be anorexic as you know. Why have underseat storage when you can make the bike more compact? Why have more powerful lights when the bike is meant for the daylight track session? Why have non fold-able mirrors when your trying to park it next to your car? Why have a centerstand and gain 15lb's....etc etc etc.

Just playing devils advocate, and that is why I really do appreciate my "older" ninja's
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 AM   #9
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Gets back to reviewers constant obsession with everything being faster and faster like everyone lives on a racetrack or something.

Very few points given to practicalities PLUS many people buy toys not transport.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,877
I'm not sure I agree, it seems innovation is becoming some companies Achilles heal. To much focus on innovation and you might forget to test components to ensure they will work for the life of the bike.
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:32 AM   #11
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 898
Saw the photo - a Honda, what a surprise.

First item: HELEMT LOCK Fail

Uselss as most helmets don't even have "D" rings nowadays, they seem to use locking buckles and clips that won't work with a seat lock

Couldn't be bothered to read the rest .......
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #12
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Too bad Honda didn't read that before making the VFR1200
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtreemLEE View Post
I'm not sure I agree, it seems innovation is becoming some companies Achilles heal. To much focus on innovation and you might forget to test components to ensure they will work for the life of the bike.
I'm not sure I understand your point. If it is that the mentioned items in the article are 'innovations' when applied to current motorcycles, and that manufacturers should stay away unless they have their other crap sorted out, then I don't fully agree.

As said, most items on the list are purely practical, low tech and were on motorcycles 30 years ago. There is no reason to drop that now.

I do agree that other innovations are crippling the market right now. All is done to be the first to come to market with stuff no one is asking for (but could be a great addition nonetheless, that's not what I'm saying). I feel like customers these days are turned into paying beta testers, and that most of their high tech is not reliable at the moment, and needs plenty of shop repair time after the bike rolls of the factory assembly line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
Saw the photo - a Honda, what a surprise.

First item: HELEMT LOCK Fail

Uselss as most helmets don't even have "D" rings nowadays, they seem to use locking buckles and clips that won't work with a seat lock

Couldn't be bothered to read the rest .......
Don't agree. I stick with D rings, every time, won't buy one with clips. A standard seat lock would be such a nice thing to have. It is small, I don't know why it is not on there!! Seems like motorcycles have gone from means of transportation in the past (being cheaper than cars) to luxury toys. Meaning no need to leave your bike somewhere unattended, as it will be used for recreational rides to a from the house.

I have a self made helmet lock (steel wire with a padlock) that I can attach under my seat. But it is a pain in the ass every time (as I need to fiddle with that lock, remove my seat, then the steel wires goes around the chin part and damages it...

I know a helmet lock is not fool proof and if they really want your helmet, they will take it. But it is a deterrent and it is practical. Now what do I have to do? Take my helmet inside in the shops? Leave it on the rear view mirror? (it will be gone in seconds, even while looking at it I guess...)

On the article itself: I couldn't agree more. More common sense please! Stop with the expensive adjustable suspension (I'm not a luddite or tech hater, but right now it is not fully developed, and poses plenty of issues on for example the multistrada) and focus on fuel gauges, and other little practical stuff.

I didn't know about that bike that is featured in the article but it looks like a decent machine (albeit old) I'll see if i can not find one for cheap, just for the fun of it...

My vote for favourite no-nonsense machine at the moment, very capable, well built and excellent value for money, the new v strom 1000

ARiderX screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 09:32 AM
ARiderX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
big_sur
Tarded

Oddometer: 421
My bike has most of the things that I'd want from this list and some of it is just ridiculous. Bump starting, really? I'll take my slipper clutch please.
big_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,850
storage under the seat! Yes! gotta have it. My V-Strom carries everything I need to plug a tire, including a small compressor, under the seat. It's also a great place to stash a small camera. It would be a great place for that USB port, too. Or at least ONE of them.

I like having a clock on my bike. I want to know how mad the boss is gonna be when I get to work late. Again. V-Strom has it.

Gear position indicator. The V-Strom has it. I use it. I love it.

I agree on the helmet lock, but there should be two of them.

And yes, I want a centerstand.

I've had heated grips. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Give me some handguards to block the wind/bugs/rocks.

How about adding at least one power port somewhere up front? Or perhaps a docking station for a gps? where the gps is secure from theft and weather.

Self cancelling turn signals. Why don't all bikes have these? I had them on the Nomad, they were awesome.

If it's got a windshield, it should be adjustable. See Honda NT700V.

Adjustable bars/seat/footpegs would be nice too. The brake lever and gear shift lever should move with the pegs.

How about a comfortable seat? Why does that seem to be so difficult?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote