User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #1591
Horsehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
New to me '01 1200s

Nothing too spectacular to show here, but I traded my '97 Honda Shadow for an '01 1200s on Sunday. Only 9,000 miles and in immaculate condition! Everything is bone stock, except the laminar lip on the windscreen. So far I've put about 200 miles on it and loved every moment. Last night I ordered Ortlieb tank bag and saddle bags from tourtech. Really excited about many adventures to come. I can't believe the difference between this bike and my old Shadow. It's like this is an actually motorcycle and the Shadow is a two wheeled tractor. Call me a happy camper.

Out tagging...

What are your thoughts on throttlemiester throttle locks? My biggest question is how safe are they? I'm a little apprehensive of something mechanically inhibiting the throttle from closing quickly in the event of an emergency at highway speeds.

Also, what about bar risers? I like the forward lean, but might want to come up just a little to get some of the pressure off of wrists. The Shadow put all the pressure on my tail bone, which is the reason I no longer have it, so I don't want to be sitting bolt-upright. Suggestions?
Horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #1592
jspansel
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I have throttlemeisters and absolutely LOVE them! They are just replacement bar ends and you just twist the throttle bar end and it will squeeze the throttle to lock it. You can just close the throttle manually if you have to. That easy. No risk of having to mess with the bar end to get the throttle to close. Just twist the throttle back, which does not take much force at all.
jspansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #1593
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Don't know about Throttlemeister, but I have an Omni-cruise for my Bandit. Designed, manufactured and sold by a one-man inmate operation. Works amazing and only $45 shipped! Mine came 3 days after I ordered. Nice warranty too.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839403

http://www.omni-cruise.com/omni-cruise-1/

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #1594
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspansel View Post
Paid $2500 last month for her with the above goodies.

Where are those deals at when I'm looking on Craigslist? Sheesh!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #1595
jspansel
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Where are those deals at when I'm looking on Craigslist? Sheesh!
It was a hard one to snag! Caught it RIGHT when it was posted. Wanted $2700 which was a deal to begin with especially with all the goodies. He accepted the $2500 on condition of not getting his asking price offer. Of course he got flooded with full price offers .

We made a deal that since I was first, he will have the first full price offer come out and if HE does not buy it, it will be mine for my $2500 offer. I thought I lost it. Guy came and was too short for the bike!

He wanted to then go and take the other full price offers and kind of go back on his word with me. Told him I will keep my end of the deal up and I would expect you to as well. I had an almost 3 hour trip to get the bike and rent a trailer, etc. He decided to keep his deal with me and I went and picked it up.

A bit rougher than advertised, but I cleaned her up good, new chain, tire, valves adjusted, plugs, etc. Diamond in the ruff. Been an awesome bike so far.
jspansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #1596
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
One hell of a story jspansel. he did you right. Beats those nightmare deals from overseas with money orders etc..
I raised my bars with large washers under the bar mounts. Get the longer bolts at the same time and your good. A half inch felt like much more.
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #1597
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdirtyfun View Post
One hell of a story jspansel. he did you right. Beats those nightmare deals from overseas with money orders etc..
I raised my bars with large washers under the bar mounts. Get the longer bolts at the same time and your good. A half inch felt like much more.
Did the same thing with shaft collars and some bikemaster bars. Did not cut any off the ends. Just had to remove the right side cable keeper.

I put some BMW sport grips on it, like them a lot, little bigger diameter.

It's been a good solid bike

rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #1598
Horsehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
After seeing these pictures I went out to look at mine, and it looks like the PO definitely rigged up some homespun risers...

Problem solved I guess.
Horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #1599
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
Don't know about Throttlemeister, but I have an Omni-cruise for my Bandit. Designed, manufactured and sold by a one-man inmate operation. Works amazing and only $45 shipped! Mine came 3 days after I ordered. Nice warranty too.

http://www.omni-cruise.com/omni-cruise-1/
Wow that thing has some parts! I've been running one of these for about a year. Works perfect and it's cheap. One piece of plastic.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #1600
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehead View Post
What are your thoughts on throttlemiester throttle locks? My biggest question is how safe are they? I'm a little apprehensive of something mechanically inhibiting the throttle from closing quickly in the event of an emergency at highway speeds.

IMO, Throttlemeister is nice. It's a well made product and looks good - but too expensive. There are less expensive products that work better. Like this one:

oops - 205'd. Should have read a little further...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #1601
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
Wow that thing has some parts! I've been running one of these for about a year. Works perfect and it's cheap. One piece of plastic.
Same here, does the trick just fine for me. It's called a Go Cruise, I believe. Although the omni-cruise does look nice, not worth the extra cash to me.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #1602
MerlotMax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
New lighting

So got the new mirrors w/ turn signals installed and wired up. Put the small flush mount LED's into the old t/s spot and wired them to be on all the time.

It sure cleans up the front end.

MerlotMax screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 12:33 PM
MerlotMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #1603
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,640
Can you suggest a digital tach/speedo that really works well with an inline four and is easy to wire?

I've used Trail Tech computers on past single cylider dirtbikes and the Vapour's digital speedo worked fine. Last project was on a Magna V4 and I used the Trail Tech Vapor again but it would not give me an accurate tach readout, the digital readout would jump up and down.

So current project is a Bandit 1200 streetfighter. I am keeping the idiot light setup but I need a speedo and most importantly a digital tach that will actually work.

Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #1604
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 317
Starving for Fuel at Highway speeds?

My engine starts to choke and die after riding at 80mph for extended periods with less than 4 gallons of gas in the tank. I pull to the side of the road and it will fire back up again. However, after 20 miles or so it cuts out again. Doesn't happen when ridden under 4,000 RPM on the interstate.

Seems to me like a fuel issue.

Tempted to yank carbs and look inside just because I never have.

-Petcock is less than 5k miles sold.
-Inline fuel filter doesn't look clogged and neither does the one on the petcock inside of the tank.

Any ideas folks?

-Jake
Old 04-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #1605
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Repeat test with tank filler open- ie maybe your tank vent line is constricted?