Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #736
JustGreg
Fast as Molasses

Oddometer: 326
.....and another happy Bandit owner joins the herd.

JustGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #737
zirconx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Hello all, I just bought a 2007 Bandit 1250s yesterday. Drove it 375 miles home, then took the wheels off late last night and dropped them off today for some new tires.

It came with side bags, I think it was a factory option. I want to add a topbox, but am not sure what I need. I already have a Givi case, I just need the mount.

Can I just get the Givi FZ539 kit? Or would that interfere with the stock side bag mounts?

I think when I had my VFR there were two Givi kits, one that only mounted side bags and one that mounted side bags + a top case.

I am going on a trip with it (Hiawatha rally, in MN) this weekend, I'm excited to try out my new bike.
zirconx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #738
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Hmmm..... interesting, you must have maybe Givi luggage mounts rather than those offered by Suzuki? Suzuki's includes a top box mount. How about a picture of your current system?

Go to Twisted Throttle dot com and look at the SW Motech top-box mount for your Bandit 1250, should be an easy fix......
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #739
zirconx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
Hmmm..... interesting, you must have maybe Givi luggage mounts rather than those offered by Suzuki? Suzuki's includes a top box mount. How about a picture of your current system?

Go to Twisted Throttle dot com and look at the SW Motech top-box mount for your Bandit 1250, should be an easy fix......
From the way the previous owner was talking, it sounded like these were factory bags. I know Givi makes the Suzuki luggage though. I don't have them on the bike, just a pile of brackets and bolts right now. I need to get it figured out and installed in the next 2 evenings.

Are you sure the Suzuki luggage included a top mount? Maybe that was optional?

Edit: I think you are right, if these (image below that I found) are the stock mounts, then mine must be directly from Givi. I don't think they indent like that, I think the bottom (side) of the bags mount flatly.

zirconx screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 11:11 AM
zirconx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #740
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Hello, everybody. I have a 2001 1200s that looks like Beergoggled's, except for Givi bags. Last year, I rode with a couple of good friends on Harleys on a 17 day, 4700 mile trip around the western United States. The 'ol Suzuki performed flawlessly and I had a great time. I bought the bike used a couple years ago and have enjoyed it very much. It is as dependable as a claw hammer and is fun in the twisties.

This year I am going on a 22 day, +/-6000 mile trip with the same crew. Again, I will be taking the Bandit. While the Bandit was a good mount, I did have an issue. On any day over 300 miles, my back and shoulders would really begin to feel it. At 400 miles, it was pretty bad. At 500 miles, I had to get off the bike. This was especially true on any prolonged Interstate highway riding. We tried to stay off of the Interstates, but sometimes the need to make up time or to connect two lanes necessitated their use.

While I've outfitted the bike with a fresh chain and sprockets for the trip I have, of course, neglected to address the comfort issue. With the trip due to begin on June 18, I have a question.

It is too late to be getting a new seat (Day Long, Corbin, etc.). But what about the bars? Do any of you have a suggestion on a differently swept set of handlebars that might help with my shoulder/back pain dilemma on those higher mileage days? The bike has the stock bars with a 1 1/2" riser.

I'm 5' 10" tall, if that helps.

I've been looking at other Sport Tourers, even heading down to the BMW dealer and looking at/test riding an 02 RT. I cannot bring myself to trade that beautiful I-4 Suzuki powerplant for that wimpy boxer! Maybe a Concours is in my future.

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions.
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #741
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
zirconx,

There it is, you've got a top box mount! Where you see that stylistic "S" is where the top box mounts. If you can't figure out whether any hardware you're already got mounts to the top of that flat surface with the "S"..... go to your local Suzuki dealership and order the hardware ($35.00+- if remember correctly)
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #742
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatdirt View Post
Hello, everybody. I have a 2001 1200s that looks like Beergoggled's, except for Givi bags. Last year, I rode with a couple of good friends on Harleys on a 17 day, 4700 mile trip around the western United States. The 'ol Suzuki performed flawlessly and I had a great time. I bought the bike used a couple years ago and have enjoyed it very much. It is as dependable as a claw hammer and is fun in the twisties.

This year I am going on a 22 day, +/-6000 mile trip with the same crew. Again, I will be taking the Bandit. While the Bandit was a good mount, I did have an issue. On any day over 300 miles, my back and shoulders would really begin to feel it. At 400 miles, it was pretty bad. At 500 miles, I had to get off the bike. This was especially true on any prolonged Interstate highway riding. We tried to stay off of the Interstates, but sometimes the need to make up time or to connect two lanes necessitated their use.

While I've outfitted the bike with a fresh chain and sprockets for the trip I have, of course, neglected to address the comfort issue. With the trip due to begin on June 18, I have a question.

It is too late to be getting a new seat (Day Long, Corbin, etc.). But what about the bars? Do any of you have a suggestion on a differently swept set of handlebars that might help with my shoulder/back pain dilemma on those higher mileage days? The bike has the stock bars with a 1 1/2" riser.

I've been looking at other Sport Tourers, even heading down to the BMW dealer and looking at/test riding an 02 RT. I cannot bring myself to trade that beautiful I-4 Suzuki powerplant for that wimpy boxer! Maybe a Concours is in my future.

I found that doing an 800 mile day makes a 500 mile day feel like a walk in the park.

conditioning is quite important. as well as stretching on every stop or as required. keeping hydrated and- if you have no ill effects from it- taking a preemptive small dose of ibuprofen before everything binds up.

When i ride till i'm tired i forget to sit up straight and after 20-30 miles in a slouch i start to feel it. I'm not one of those guys with a double decker tank bag that doubles as a chest rest, although it does look like a way to transfer weight off the spine a little bit.

for bars i think there are a few threads on that topic on twtx..
http://www.twtex.com/forums/search.p...=2488692&pp=25
Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #743
sjsred323i
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I'll bet Spence could turn around your seat in less than 18 days.
Send him an email. I had mine done and it is much improved.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #744
bill_in_pittsburgh
ADVer in training...

Oddometer: 52
I haven't done these mods yet, but this is what my research on the subject is leading me to try in the near future.

First, I've been thinking about installing the GenMar handlebar risers. The GenMar risers lift the handlebars both UP 1" and BACK 1 3/8". The GenMar riser kit includes a longer brake line for the master cylinder.

http://www.cyclesolutions.net/product/sku-GM-S121

Second, I'm thinking about getting a new handlebar that doesn't sweep backwards as much (leaving your wrists in a more natural position). Folks over at the Suzuki Bandit forum seem to like the Bikemaster Daytona Handlebar:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/15392/ITEM/Bikemaster-Daytona-Handlebar.aspx?sst=RR|15392

Anyway, that's what a lot of other people seem to like to do to increase the comfort factor for long-distance touring on the Bandit.

It makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatdirt View Post

bill_in_pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #745
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Thanks for all your replies. I just e-mailed spence and ordered the bars.
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #746
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,289
Sitting more upright may not be the solution, in my experience, the more upright you are the more vibration and road shock will transmit up your spine.

Have a tank bag that you can lean forward, lay against and relief your arms, back, shoulders might be another option.
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #747
linusje
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hello,

This is mine :

suzuki gsx 1250 fa....with a lot off modifations :

and this is the last update : motor master brake discs

many greetings from Belgium
linusje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #748
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,152
About the FA:
Do you need to remove the entire fairing to get to the oil filter? I was looking at one this weekend and at a glance couldn't see an easy way to do an oil change.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #749
mbit
n00b

Oddometer: 5
one more happy bandit owner

givi E21 bags recently added to longer/camping rides. Also have a tank bag.

No breakdowns at all since i bought her, apart from a incorrect fuel filter that i put between fuel tap and carburettors, that wasn't letting gas run over when running low on reserve.

Best "mileage" is under 4.5L/100km, last rear tire (michelim macadam) lasted over 35k km, front (bridgestone btx bt014) is getting around the 30k.

No engine oil consumption, although using 100% sintectic car oil (castrol 0w40), since 2 years ago or something. Oil changes changed to 10k km. Slight clutch slippage occurs over 8000rpm if i do not let the engine warms propperly. When oil is new, she can hold iddle with no choke just after 10 or 20s.

Im mostly a night rider, so i had to add, H4 hid lighting system and those lateral lights (focus in to the curves).
Also have an alternative foot pegs that arent installed since i put the bars, but are very helpful in longer rides (>3h).

I think ill never sell her.
mbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #750
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
About the FA:
Do you need to remove the entire fairing to get to the oil filter? I was looking at one this weekend and at a glance couldn't see an easy way to do an oil change.
Yes, the lowers need to come off. Just changed mine for the first time two days ago. You need to reach in and loosen the filter from the right side then pull the coolant hoses back and remove the filter from the left side. It's tight.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote