Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #781
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX View Post
I use 5w 40 Mobil1 for diesel. It's the only 5/40 synthetic readily available in my climate. I don't think you can make a bad choice of the premium brand oils these days. Now FILTERS! There's a subject. Lots of guys with nothing better to do make youtube clips of themselves cutting into various brands. Invariably, WIX seems to have the best quality construction.
I agree with the WIX filters, used them on all my cars.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #782
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti1 View Post
Come on guy's hurry I've been standing in Walmart for 3 hours.....tap! tap!
I just ran my Bandit from Zion NP, UT, through Mesquite, NV, down along Lake Mead (to bypass Vegas,) and hit the 95 to Needles. At a spirited (!) pace and it was freakin' hot. 112 in Needles. Spectro 10-40 and no signs of heat related engine stress. As a matter of fact, on the trip, I hit passes as high as 11,000+ and hit near sea level and never noticed any differences in performance in my naturally aspirated Zook. Stock Suzuki filters exclusively. The engine is as reliable as a claw hammer. Don't over-think it.

lookatdirt screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 10:35 PM
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #783
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
What do you guys think, should I paint it?

Naah!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #784
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatdirt View Post
I just ran my Bandit from Zion NP, UT, through Mesquite, NV, down along Lake Mead (to bypass Vegas,) and hit the 95 to Needles. At a spirited (!) pace and it was freakin' hot. 112 in Needles. Spectro 10-40 and no signs of heat related engine stress. As a matter of fact, on the trip, I hit passes as high as 11,000+ and hit near sea level and never noticed any differences in performance in my naturally aspirated Zook. Stock Suzuki filters exclusively. The engine is as reliable as a claw hammer. Don't over-think it.
I agree....
Old 07-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #785
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Last year in Borrego Springs. Day 1 of 18.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #786
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

I parked my Bandit for the winter at my place in Wisconsin and headed out to Utah with intentions of comming back and winterizing it.....wellthat didn't work out. It sat in the garage all winter ,had to get a battery,new gas,oil change and started it up....I thought for sure the carbs would of been gummed up. Ran great! The clutch on the other hand would engage as soon as you released then flop open.....I hit the road for an hour and it came back to where it should be, Wierd? What would of made it do that?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #787
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

The petcock on my Bandit say's res,pri,and on......is there no off? I think one of the carbs is not seating and leaking gas in cylinder?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #788
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
The petcock on my Bandit say's res,pri,and on......is there no off? I think one of the carbs is not seating and leaking gas in cylinder?
No theres no off, at the on and res position it should not deliver any fuel, if your carbs are empty then there is the prime position to let fuel flow. If it lets fuel through at "on" then its leaking and its not working as it should like mine I hope i can fix it

If fuel is passing through the carbs solve it as soon as posible. Temporarly i put an in line fuel filter and maybe ill try to fit a shutoff valve in the hose if my petcock cannot be fixed.
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #789
jiggliemon
Nobody

Oddometer: 119
if your petcock is leaking then i bet you just need to take it apart and stretch the spring that is inside of it then put it all back together... takes like 20 min. this spring compresses when a vacuum is applied to it but after a while it will remain compressed slightly and let fuel leak out when no vacuum is applied. inspect the gaskets while you're in there to see if you need a rebuild kit but i bet they will be fine. it is seriously such an easy job and it only needs to be done every few years max... not too often
jiggliemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #790
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
I parked my Bandit for the winter at my place in Wisconsin and headed out to Utah with intentions of comming back and winterizing it.....wellthat didn't work out. It sat in the garage all winter ,had to get a battery,new gas,oil change and started it up....I thought for sure the carbs would of been gummed up. Ran great! The clutch on the other hand would engage as soon as you released then flop open.....I hit the road for an hour and it came back to where it should be, Wierd? What would of made it do that?
Most likely the slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch leaked down as it sat. Mine does it sometimes too. If the lever travel changes at random times, usually a quick bleed will make it behave.
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #791
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
last week in the middle of a 3000 mile trip---Yokum campground, Seneca Rocks West Va.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #792
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Holy Cow!! Did you forget anything? Like the kitchen sink? Or is that in there somewhere?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #793
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by skovach View Post
if your petcock is leaking then i bet you just need to take it apart and stretch the spring that is inside of it then put it all back together... takes like 20 min. this spring compresses when a vacuum is applied to it but after a while it will remain compressed slightly and let fuel leak out when no vacuum is applied. inspect the gaskets while you're in there to see if you need a rebuild kit but i bet they will be fine. it is seriously such an easy job and it only needs to be done every few years max... not too often

Yep that was the solution so thanks. My new problem was that i forgot about the oring that goes between the petcock and the tank so i missed my sunday ride because it was leaking fuel Hope my local suzuki has one ready for action because i really dont want to wait!!
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #794
justscoutin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
looking for a stock airbox w/boots for a 98 bandit 1200. anybody got one? ;my 2001 air box wont fit!
72 SL70
Save Aetna Offroad http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758193
justscoutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #795
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

I took a short trip about 450 miles and the chain was adjusted just right before I left I get back and it's sloppy as hell.....Is this normal? My DR650 never stretched like this and I put 1500 miles on it one trip.