Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #871
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
Are there any known issues I should look out for on a 2000 bandit or areas that need to be addressed?
All you need to Know in this forum. You will need to register for access.
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #872
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Thanks for the responses all. Possibly meet up on sunday to check it out. I really keep going back and forth about the two bikes. I love my sv and its proving to be reliable ( I bought it in pretty sketchy shape, mainly as far as wiring was concerned but have done a lot of work addressing it). We will see, I may get on the bandit and love it, who know?

Also trying to consider the fact that I can buy a older bandit with same mileage for $1800 on craigslist. Even with the shape my bike is in I can sell it for more.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #873
bill_in_pittsburgh
ADVer in training...

Oddometer: 52
Wishing I were somewhere else right now...

Hey all,

I'm just getting geared up to begin the RR from a trip I took in July from Pittsburgh, PA to Montana and Wyoming. I'm just testing to see if a URL link to my file backup service works on this forum (I think it will work). If it does, then you get to see a pic of my 2000 Bandit 600s roaming the front range of the Beartooth Mountains. As I sit here in my office/lab, my thoughts and soul are back in time to the place where this picture was taken. Until the next adventure.....

bill_in_pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #874
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
Are there any known issues I should look out for on a 2000 bandit or areas that need to be addressed?
They like to eat rear tires.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #875
Sniff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Nice pic Bill...

Bill in Pittsburgh - look forward to the RR... Also how your bike held up, any advice for other travelers on Bandits...
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #876
Narrdo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Always interested in a RR, especially a Bandit one
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #877
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 465
Best thing for touring on a B12 that comes to mind, at least for me, is remove the useless fairing, get a better seat and either raise the stock and inch or get a different bar with a raise and pull. That and don't worry about the thing.
I did a relatively long trip on my first gen B12 and it had it's minor issues (all user built) but it did just fine.
Sure like any big, torquey, bike it will eat chains and tires but you didn't buy a NightHawk.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #878
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,094
The battery died yesterday on my 2000 Bandit. I jumped started the bike but after a 20 miles ride it was still dead.

That battery only had 47,000 miles, date code of '98. Japanese crap I tell you...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #879
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
The battery died yesterday on my 2000 Bandit. I jumped started the bike but after a 20 miles ride it was still dead.

That battery only had 47,000 miles, date code of '98. Japanese crap I tell you...

Damn, the original (Yuasa) on my 650R lasted about 3 years (under 20k miles).
I was quoted $150 for a new one!

Bought a LandPort battery instead for $50, still works after another 10k miles.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #880
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 767
Quote:

Indeed. I finally gave in last year and replaced the original in my 2000, it was still working but I could tell it was getting weak.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #881
bill_in_pittsburgh
ADVer in training...

Hi Sniff,

My 2000 Bandit 600s held up great. I put a power outlet in the fairing and changed the oil before taking off. 13 days covering 4,500 miles through rain and shine (and 100+ degree days) and all I had to do was put in gas, check the tire pressure (put in air twice, I think), and at about the 1/2 way point, I added a little oil. Kept the chain lubed, and that's all (I didn't even have to adjust chain tension).

At 6'4", however, I now know that there just isn't enough distance between the seat and pegs for me for long-distance riding. I don't know how to fix this (other than to get another bike). I found that my feet would go numb from the pressure my coiled legs put on the pegs and my knees would hurt a little. That's my only complaint. I'd stop every hundred miles or so to have a drink and walk around a little. If I just had another inch or two, I honestly believe I could easily put in 600+ mile days (I averaged 342 miles per day, with the highest mileage day covering 469 miles).

I really love the Bandit 600 - it has more than enough power for me. I just wish I could find someway to sit on the bike without my long legs coiling like springs and exerting force on the pegs through my feet. Nearly two months after taking this trip, the tip of my right big toe is still numb. I think I caused some minor nerve damage in my big toe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Bill in Pittsburgh - look forward to the RR... Also how your bike held up, any advice for other travelers on Bandits...
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #882
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_in_pittsburgh View Post
Hi Sniff,

At 6'4", however, I now know that there just isn't enough distance between the seat and pegs for me for long-distance riding. I don't know how to fix this (other than to get another bike). I found that my feet would go numb from the pressure my coiled legs put on the pegs and my knees would hurt a little. That's my only complaint.
Buell pegs, bar risers and have the factory seat re-done with an extra 2" of high density foan on top of the existing stuff. It will also cure the Nuts_on_the_tank syndrome...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #883
bill_in_pittsburgh
ADVer in training...

I like the Buell pegs idea - that's the first I've heard of it! Thanks!

Quote:
Buell pegs, bar risers and have the factory seat re-done with an extra 2" of high density foan on top of the existing stuff. It will also cure the Nuts_on_the_tank syndrome...
Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #884
jorrie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
1200s 2006 model WOW WHAT ABIKE

ANYONE RIDING IN MPUMALANGA ON BANDITS LET ME KNOW
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #885
Mexi-can't
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Did a 300 mile test run Sunday after installing the Holeshot stage 1 modified jet kit. Wow! It really woke the Bandit up.

Mexi-can't is offline   Reply With Quote