User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #1066
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Handlebars

I got a great deal on a low mileage '05 last year. I have really enjoyed it so far. I just got finished putting a Delkevic slip-on and Ivan's jet kit with modified airbox this week. Wow! It really woke it up and improved the throttle response.

I tried putting Daytona bars on, as many people have recommended here. I couldn't get the throttle cables to work. I already had 1" bar risers on and had no problem with them (after I put a different front brake line on). Any tricks to getting the controls to work with the bikemaster Daytona bars? I didn't try cutting any length off the bars yet.
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #1067
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo1 View Post
IMO... I wouldn't buy a Bandit again, very uncomfortable on long rides, powerband is awful, it's built cheap. I should of bought the V-Strom instead. To own a Bandit and say it's a great bike is truly wrong, meaning it's great for what you pay for it which is low end.
Are you just joking? Which model Bandit are you talking about? My 1200N is one bike I wish I never sold. That bike was awesome as it had a Fox rear clicker shock and GSXR front end, so the suspension was well sorted, which was the only thing I thought was budget on the bike. I also had a beautiful Remus Carbon Fiber exhaust that sounded frigging great!!!!

You must be talking about the 600 as you reference the "powerband is awful". If you were talking about the 1200 it must have only been running on 2 cylinders. Mine was an awesome torque monster and could pull wheelies with ease. And I didn't burn a single drop of oil. So I'm not sure about another posted comment about them being known for oil issues. It was a 2001. Lots of bike for the money. Suspension is the weak point but can be sorted easily.

Just saw your sig line. Yeah the 600 is kind of a basket case. I had one. It was my first bike, a 600S. I immediately ditched the fairing and street-fightered it. It looked cool but was all show, no go. The power on that bike sucked. So, I agree there. I wouldn't bother upgrading the 600, kind of like lipstick on a pig, unless you are into that. The 1200 is a huge improvement in power. Very smooth controllable and torquey motor. It didn't care if you were solo or 2-up. The 600, well, not so much.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #1068
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Are you just joking? Which model Bandit are you talking about? My 1200N is one bike I wish I never sold. That bike was awesome as it had a Fox rear clicker shock and GSXR front end, so the suspension was well sorted, which was the only thing I thought was budget on the bike. I also had a beautiful Remus Carbon Fiber exhaust that sounded frigging great!!!!

You must be talking about the 600 as you reference the "powerband is awful". If you were talking about the 1200 it must have only been running on 2 cylinders. Mine was an awesome torque monster and could pull wheelies with ease. And I didn't burn a single drop of oil. So I'm not sure about another posted comment about them being known for oil issues. It was a 2001. Lots of bike for the money. Suspension is the weak point but can be sorted easily.

Just saw your sig line. Yeah the 600 is kind of a basket case. I had one. It was my first bike, a 600S. I immediately ditched the fairing and street-fightered it. It looked cool but was all show, no go. The power on that bike sucked. So, I agree there. I wouldn't bother upgrading the 600, kind of like lipstick on a pig, unless you are into that. The 1200 is a huge improvement in power. Very smooth controllable and torquey motor. It didn't care if you were solo or 2-up. The 600, well, not so much.
The 1200 Bandits rock! Yes I'am talking about the 600 S for shitty.... You nailed it, all show no go.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #1069
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
The 1200 Bandits rock! Yes I'am talking about the 600 S for shitty.... You nailed it, all show no go.
Ha! you got that right the "S" did stand for shitty!!!!!It was good for a first bike though. Couldn't really get yourself into too much trouble no matter how much you twisted the throttle, however you couldn't really get yourself OUT of trouble either...
Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #1070
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Power is just a bolt-on swap away...

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #1071
sjsred323i
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I'll keep my 600. Thank you very much!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #1072
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Ha! you got that right the "S" did stand for shitty!!!!!It was good for a first bike though. Couldn't really get yourself into too much trouble no matter how much you twisted the throttle, however you couldn't really get yourself OUT of trouble either...
I've been trying to sell the piece of shit for over a year now, sad when you post it and you get "0" looks. This was a fucken joke from Suzuki to get back at us...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #1073
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
I looked at a '99 1200s today ~25k miles $2400. The paint and bodywork were in good shape (a small crack on the right side panel) with no obvious crash damage. New tires, chain and sprockets, and a new clutch. The clutch and the metal mulisha sticker on the swingarm makes me think the bike has probably been beat on a bit, but, as I said, it looks to be in good shape. Is there anything I should look for or be worried about on these? I want something cheap and simple that I can hot rod, and these look like pretty solid bikes with some good aftermarket stuff still available. It has a Yosh slip on and the air box is still on the bike.

Any thoughts/opinions???
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #1074
keenerkeen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I looked at a '99 1200s today ~25k miles $2400. The paint and bodywork were in good shape (a small crack on the right side panel) with no obvious crash damage. New tires, chain and sprockets, and a new clutch. The clutch and the metal mulisha sticker on the swingarm makes me think the bike has probably been beat on a bit, but, as I said, it looks to be in good shape. Is there anything I should look for or be worried about on these? I want something cheap and simple that I can hot rod, and these look like pretty solid bikes with some good aftermarket stuff still available. It has a Yosh slip on and the air box is still on the bike.

Any thoughts/opinions???
Couple of things to check ,,cam chain can stretch enough that the stock tensioner is use less..not a big deal an APE manual tensioner has more adjustment capacity ..and will give you more cam chain life..easy fix IF needed the cam chain can go along way..depends on the PO and matinance..
If the shock is original its crap by now..the front forks should see some upgrading aswell at least an fork oil change.
the engine its self is one the best inline fours ever made.. so it was the reason i purchased one new in 98 ...strong reliable and it creats midrange power like no other..pretty too
IMO for 2400 its not bad... gone over with a good mecanic ..could make your day or lower the price ..either way they are a great bike and always will be...I love the thing and any upgrades you can do as to suspenstion makes it 5 times better and definately worth it..
cheers
Keener
keenerkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #1075
JesperP-H
Anthro-Rider

Oddometer: 18
Next thing for my Bandit?

My bandit '02 Bandit 600S has been fitted quite nicely so far: Akra-exhaust, LED flush front and back, flip-up toned windscreen, but now I'm thinking the next thing to do is to get rid of the nasty plastic tail under the licence plate.

I'm thinking of getting this Fender eliminator but I don't know how well it'll work - anyone got any experience with it?

http://www.solomotoparts.com/product...9&cat=0&page=1

Second question is whether or not I should buy a hugger and which model looks and/or works best?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

/Jesper
JesperP-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #1076
DrewCopter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Anyone with 2nd gen bandits (01-06ish?) have subframe issues?

I was using a topcase all the time, and it sheared the freakin mounting tabs for the grab bar/topcase right off. No more luggage capability I was riding around a day with nothing but plastic holding my stuff on.

I wonder if I could just get tabs welded back on... it would have to be threaded and lined up just right though. Not having hard luggage sucks!
DrewCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #1077
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Getting ready to replace the cams in my 2000 Bandit....So many choices?? Any ideas on what is available from GSXR's and Kats that might be the best choices.. I am looking to increase my trap speed and moving redline up a thousand or so.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #1078
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,304
My dealer has a 2007 Bandit 1250 with 10K miles for a decent price. I'm not very familiar with the various Bandit generations so I was wondering if this one's the latest one. I know for 2012 Suzuki has a new name, using the same engine.

Is it reliable and what are its negatives and known issues?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #1079
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Against The Wind View Post
My dealer has a 2007 Bandit 1250 with 10K miles for a decent price. I'm not very familiar with the various Bandit generations so I was wondering if this one's the latest one. I know for 2012 Suzuki has a new name, using the same engine.

Is it reliable and what are its negatives and known issues?
I own an 07. Put 23k miles on it so far. 10k on one trip in just 2 months. Oil, gas, tires. Dead reliable.

Known issues: torture rack for a seat and sore inner palms from stock bars, both easily resolved. Unresolvable issue is a tired right wrist.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #1080
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
I own an 07. Put 23k miles on it so far. 10k on one trip in just 2 months. Oil, gas, tires. Dead reliable.

Known issues: torture rack for a seat and sore inner palms from stock bars, both easily resolved. Unresolvable issue is a tired right wrist.
+1 probably one of the most under rated bikes on the market. TONS-O-TORQUE
Sargent seat and Daytona Superbike bars took care of the ergo issues.
You should be able to finish breaking in the engine

Mine after de-stickering

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/

Valleyrider screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 11:46 PM
Valleyrider is online now   Reply With Quote