Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #1111
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,415
I used to do that with my 750 Royal Enfield in 1968!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #1112
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
<---------- KLR forum is that way
Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #1113
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Cams

Just got done putting GSXR 1100 cams into my 2000 Bandit. It goes to the racetrack on Sat to see if any improvement. Sounds good and feels strong so have no doubt that they will make a difference. Cams went in easily and set up was a breeze, just a valve adjustment. Also installed a Quick Shifter, it cuts ignition power from .25 to 1.00 MS and allows no load shifting at full throttle without the clutch, still doing some adjusting on that...we will see how it pans out on Sat as well Oh Ya..new clutch as well, almost forgot, I totally burned the old one out, fried the steels, I think too much HP and the use of Motorcycle synthetic oil did the j o b on it . the oil mostly, no more synthetics in wet clutches for me no matter what the oil manufacturer says. Working hard on getting this Bandit into the low 10's. I suspect am there just need to prove it. Track here is 3000 feet, track in MN is 1200 feet so might need to wait until summer to find out. Baro pressure here generally raises the effective altitude as well.. last time I ran it was adjusted to 5000, thats tough!!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #1114
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Can't wait to know what it runs!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #1115
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lank View Post
Just got done putting GSXR 1100 cams into my 2000 Bandit. It goes to the racetrack on Sat to see if any improvement. Sounds good and feels strong so have no doubt that they will make a difference. Cams went in easily and set up was a breeze, just a valve adjustment. Also installed a Quick Shifter, it cuts ignition power from .25 to 1.00 MS and allows no load shifting at full throttle without the clutch, still doing some adjusting on that...we will see how it pans out on Sat as well Oh Ya..new clutch as well, almost forgot, I totally burned the old one out, fried the steels, I think too much HP and the use of Motorcycle synthetic oil did the j o b on it . the oil mostly, no more synthetics in wet clutches for me no matter what the oil manufacturer says. Working hard on getting this Bandit into the low 10's. I suspect am there just need to prove it. Track here is 3000 feet, track in MN is 1200 feet so might need to wait until summer to find out. Baro pressure here generally raises the effective altitude as well.. last time I ran it was adjusted to 5000, thats tough!!
As much as I love my 1250, I get envious of the affordable mods that can be done to the 1200's (like the cam swaps). I also get envious of the relatively easy valve adjustments on the 1200's.
BossMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #1116
treybrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMaverick View Post
As much as I love my 1250, I get envious of the affordable mods that can be done to the 1200's (like the cam swaps). I also get envious of the relatively easy valve adjustments on the 1200's.
Adjusting the valves on the 1200 is easy... but so is checking the clearance on the 1250. Has anyone HAD to swap a shim on the 1250 yet? I've heard of a couple people doing it because they were at the loose end of spec and wanted to put them in the middle (they should tighten naturally with miles), but they were still in spec nonetheless.

I know I checked mine at 27k and 50k miles and they hadn't moved -- intakes all on the loose end, exhausts right in the middle. I doubt I ever pop the valve cover off again unless it starts making noise or something goes wrong.

trey
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #1117
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I know I checked mine at 27k and 50k miles and they hadn't moved -- intakes all on the loose end, exhausts right in the middle. I doubt I ever pop the valve cover off again unless it starts making noise or something goes wrong.

trey[/QUOTE]

Valves are overadjusted a lot of the time. I tend to want them to run a bit loose, no benefit to running on the tight end of specs.

The shifter works great, just a toe up at full throttle and click, a seamless transition into the next gear..what a deal for 150 bucks. Had to pull the clutch and build up some, 5 heavy steels, 4 narrow ones and put in 3....get that...3 diaphragm springs, gonna ride it in a couple of hours but it seems like it is finally done slipping...A short test ride last nite and it felt solid as heck

Anyone interested in some race cams, got 2 sets??
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #1118
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

I sure would be if your werent in OZ.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #1119
acdfan
day tripper

Oddometer: 132
put on new brake lines on the front of the 05 bandit. anyone remember the order of the banjo fittings? is it left, main then right? this is at the main to two front lines connection.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #1120
acdfan
day tripper

to clarify earlier post, is it main line to the left of right front brake line or to the right? im going to put it together today, the last brake line came in.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #1121
acdfan
day tripper

Thanks to those who pm'd me and sent me to powersportsplus, the schematic was there. heading out to crank down the nuts and fill the reservoir...
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #1122
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
brake lines

Please put up a report on the improvement in braking and where you purchased. I have a 2007 and want to do the same: increased length for higher bars and braided for better brake feel. Thanks.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #1123
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
New street touring bike for me.
2000 600S, 5kmi...mods to follow.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 12:14 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #1124
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
I'm thinking about an 09 Bandit 1250 ABS, for the resident Bandit experts:

Does the bike run on regular fuel?
What is the range of the tank, under legal interstate speed limits?
What is the valve service interval?
What are the known issues?

Thank you for your input.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #1125
flaadvandmtbrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Great bike

I have the very bike you are considering. Runs on regular, the tank is 5 gallons, but the low fuel light comes on way early, I'm comfortable with about 160 miles between fill ups on the highway, valve "inspection" interval is 14,500 miles, no known issues that I know of or have experienced, wears tires and chains/sprockets like you would expect for a big powerful bike. Overall, a great bike with no issues.