Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #1126
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaadvandmtbrider View Post
I have the very bike you are considering. Runs on regular, the tank is 5 gallons, but the low fuel light comes on way early, I'm comfortable with about 160 miles between fill ups on the highway, valve "inspection" interval is 14,500 miles, no known issues that I know of or have experienced, wears tires and chains/sprockets like you would expect for a big powerful bike. Overall, a great bike with no issues.
+1

I also have an '09 Bandit 1250. I get an average of 45 mpg with my high record being 52 mpg when I had an extreme tail wind during a trip. The low fuel warning comes on early when there is about 1.5 gallons remaining. There is a second warning that comes on when there is about .5 gallons remaining but I haven't reached that point yet. Going 180 miles per tank is easy as long as you can ignore the first warning for 25+ miles of it.

Valve inspection is 14,500 miles. I haven't read a report online yet where the clearances were out of spec when checked and that includes a person with 50,000+ miles on their Bandit. The Bandits are known to hold their valve clearances amazingly well.

There are no known mechanical issues. The Bandits are known to be very reliable. There are some comfort complaints (like the stock handlebars) but no complaints mechanically.

In summary, I love my Bandit. It is awesome for doing it all. I mainly use it to gobble up highway miles but it's also good for curves and for weekend fun rides. It's not as fast as a true sport bike but it is still no slouch. The down low torque and overall engine smoothness are outstanding features of the 1250's.

Edited to Add: I noticed that you are considering an ABS model. You will read a lot of complaints of the brake lever and pedal feeling when it kicks in. I personally don't think the feeling is that bad and I'm glad I went with the ABS option.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #1127
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Does the bike run on regular fuel?

Yes

What is the range of the tank, under legal interstate speed limits?

Hits the first warning light around 150-70 miles but still has another 40 miles at least in it. I've averaged 45-47mpg on mine on the highway, over 50 at times on a 60mph cruise.

What is the valve service interval?

How often have you had the valves checked in your car? The 1250 motor does not appear to change even with big miles.

What are the known issues?

Nothing mechanical has shown up yet as an issue, but the seat is pretty dire and a lot of people change the bars and screen. Pillion accommodation is cramped for anyone over about 5'4" and the rear shock is rubbish if you live in a place with poor roads. Michelin Pilot Road 3s give longer service life and handle better than BT021s. Mine has around 17,000km on it and the chain has never needed adjusting since the first tiny tweak at about 1000km.

The motor is pretty well perfect.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #1128
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanInSeattle View Post
I have heard of this issue with top cases and the renntec style rack.. After lots of research I have found that the only rear rack that is really desigend for the weight of a top case would be the Givi rack....the others just arent built for anthing more than about 5 lbs. ..This is not so much a subframe issue as a rack design issue.

Here is what happens when you regularly overload the Motech rear rack on a 1200 Bandit:

I now have the Givi mount for both top case and side cases. Much sturdier.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #1129
Mike Hunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMaverick View Post
+1

In summary, I love my Bandit. It is awesome for doing it all. I mainly use it to gobble up highway miles but it's also good for curves and for weekend fun rides. It's not as fast as a true sport bike but it is still no slouch. The down low torque and overall engine smoothness are outstanding features of the 1250's.

Low down torque maybe, but I get a real kick out of chucking it down a gear and pulling back the throttle for overtakes. From my experience an engine generates its power through more revs. Never gone above 7000rpm tho, apparently the power fades at that point.
Also I got 200 miles once out of my bandit GT. Fuel stations are rare in central scotland! This was with the bikes fully loaded top box and side cases too. However the 200 miles was done in one go mixing up motorways, city driving and scottish highland roads so a mixture of everything. I typically refuel it at about 150 miles, only occasionally taking it 180 miles. What I wanna know is its actual top speed. Anyone actually tried it? I done 140mph on it once, I figured that was pretty close to it.
Mike Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #1130
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post

Here is what happens when you regularly overload the Motech rear rack on a 1200 Bandit:
I now have the Givi mount for both top case and side cases. Much sturdier.
I'm sure the same thing would happen with the Motech rack my wife has on her 1250 Bandit. She never puts anything much heavier than a laptop computer in there, so I think it will be okay.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #1131
RC Pilot
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,455
I find the Bandit (mine is a 2002 1200s) to be a very good scoot for real world riding. Yes, sport bikes are quicker through the twisties, touring bike make the miles easier and dual sporty take the worry out of dirt/gravel roads, but the Bandit handles them all with aplomb.

The engine makes power where you need it. She will really get you moving in the upper half of the tach, but at teh same time will pull very strongly from 3K up so a downshift to pass is rarely needed. I have the Holeshot Stage 1 Mod jet kit installed with the stock pipe and average 45+ mpg with a high of 53.

Added a SW Motec Alumarack and a Bestum top case, Holeshot/Corbin saddle and a Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen and she is all day comfy. A Scottoiler was alse installed recently. All I can say is get one!

Old 03-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #1132
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Aganist The Wind...

I have a 2007 Bandit. Best bang for the buck bike I have ever owned. Runs on regular fuel, gets 48-50 mpg with all of the Holeshot stage 2 mods, I have seen valves go to 25k with little to no adjustment needed. The only issues are NEVER enough time to ride!!!!
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #1133
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,369
i started with the regular windshield. a little turbulent.

then i tried the suzuki touring windshield. a little better

then i tried the laminar lip [which doesn't fit on the touring-only the stock]. it was a very good upgrade on my z750. but on the bandit? not so much. air is a little less turbulent but still aimed at my face not the top of my helmet the way it was on the z750. it was a bolt on on the z750. on the bandit -stickers and velcro.

sooo.. what should i try next?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #1134
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post

then i tried the laminar lip [which doesn't fit on the touring-only the stock]. it was a very good upgrade on my z750. but on the bandit? not so much. air is a little less turbulent but still aimed at my face not the top of my helmet the way it was on the z750. it was a bolt on on the z750. on the bandit -stickers and velcro.

A madstad bracket.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #1135
RC Pilot
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post

I have the Zero Gravity Sport Tourind windscreen and find it works very well. I am about 5'11' and have a Holeshot/corbin seat with a Beadrider.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #1136
MerlotMax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Same here, Zero Gravity sport touring shield on a '01 Bandit S & 5'11". No buffeting at all. I am very happy with it.
MerlotMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #1137
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
I also have the Zero G touring windshield and like it. I'm over 6' and use beatriders on the stock seat. The airflow hits me in the shoulder area on up but it is smooth air. The Zero G eliminates most of the blast from trucks and such.

I bought a factory second Zero G off ebay when I bought mine to save a few bucks. You can notice the flaw if you know about it and search for it but I haven't had anyone notice it yet. The visual part of the shield is flaw free.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #1138
Dazart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
A madstad bracket.
I second the Madstad bracket and windshield. Bought a GSX1250FA in 10/2011, looking to make it a touring machine. Added bar risers and 20" madstad bracket and screen as soon as Mark (Madstad owner) developed a setup for the new GSX. Installation was a little hairy but it's giving me great wind protection now. Can be adjusted endlessly but I haven't touched it since initial installation (followed included instructions).
Dazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #1139
acdfan
day tripper

Oddometer: 132
Ok, just finished the front end project on my 05.
went with zero g touring windshield. worked good.
replaced the bar with the bikemaster daytona. tried the gp touring but it was too low for me. the daytona needed a new brake line but the clutch and throttle were long enough. the clutch line is a little tight, i will replace it during the winter down time late this year. the bar is just high enough for me to sit upright with a slight lean to the front. daytona in black had very fragile paint, is scraped very easily.
replaced the brakelines with goodridge shadow steel lines, used unversal lines and then added banjo fittings. the banjo fittings added about 2 inches to the line. 17" from brake handle was too long. probably could have done a 15". the two lines from calipers to Y attachment were 16". probably could have done 14". ordered them from motorcycle superstore, it took about a week for the brake line order to be packed and shipped. I think if I had to do it again I might have checked the local shops. I ended up with lines too long(my mistake) and returned the lines. so whole brake project took me three weeks because of shipping and returning.
Brakes are better, not enough to make the upgrade worth it though. Since I had to replace the top line anyways(with the higher handlebar) I went ahead and changed them all. They were easy to install, to bleed all i needed was the nipple adapter and about an inch of tubing. I put the adapter on pointing up, put tube on it(also pointing up). air bubbles came right out. I borrowed the whole vacuum kit from a local mechanic but it made a mess. ended up using just the adapter and tube.
Next project is the sergeant seat, I think installation should be easy on that. the money to order may take a little longer.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #1140
DayTrippin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Bandit or SV1000?

I am considering a 1250S Bandit and want some feedback. I currently have a DL1000K7 and a SV1000SK3. To say I love v-twins would be an understatement. The Vee is totally farkled out and a great sport touring bike but I keep in Albuquerque to ride when I am out there. It is a lot of fun in the mountains and back roads but my biggest complaint is I wanted a bit more power. So I bought a SV1000S. The 2003 model definitely has more punch than my Vee but not quite as comfortable on the road. This I attribute mostly due to the tighter ergonomics of the ’03 model which were relaxed in later years to be a bit more comfortable.

So that brings me to considering the Bandit. I have tracked down an 07 1250S Bandit with ABS. At the same time I’ve located a mint 07 SV1000S. I am torn between them at this point but I haven’t had a chance to ride the Bandit yet.

Here are what I personally view as the pluses/minuses of each:

SV1000S
Plus
Good handling
Very fun to ride
Sounds great

Minus
Ergos are a bit cramped for long rides
Tiny fuel tank (~ 130 miles and need to refuel)
Stock seat sucks

1250SA Bandit
Plus
ABS – would be nice to have
Bigger tank
Good torque - similar to the SV

Minus
Boring looks
Stock seat seems bad as well
Heavy

So here is how I plan to use it. I like to ride in the mountains of N. Georgia. Unfortunately for me to get there is about a 5 hour ride. On the super slab my current SV is not the best option due to its very tight seat-peg relationship which has been improved but not quite enough on the later models by changing the rear subframe. I could add Buell footpegs like I did on my ’03 and probably improve the ergos quite a bit but I am still stuck with limited range. The bars are still a touch low for long rides at low speeds.

If I go with the Bandit, I have better ergos but a much heavier bike. I love how flickable the SV is on the backroads. The Bandit has pretty good torque from what I’ve read but I have that in the SV and still a fun top end pull that the stock Bandit apparently doesn’t have. I don’t really want to invest in Dave Walker’s Holeshot parts for it to get that top end pull.

So for anyone that has ridden both an SV and a Bandit in the twisties, how do they compare? I need something that is a fun sport bike in the mountains and a tourer on the highway. On a purely economic level the Bandit will cost about $1500 more. For that I can buy a better seat for the SV, removable hard luggage and have quite a bit of $$$ left over. My heart says another SV and my mind says Bandit. It is a tough choice. Any thoughts?

I of course realize there is likely to be a Bandit bias in this thread but I am sure some of you have been faced with a similar decision. Probably my ideal ride would be my Vee with the motor from a TL/SV and ABS.
DayTrippin is offline   Reply With Quote