Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #1156
DayTrippin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
My biggest complaint about my Vee (other then electrical) is at high altitudes (in the Rockies) it definitely starts to feel a bit underpowered when riding 2-up. At sea level it is pretty decent but not amazing.

As for rear seat room, my wife is pretty thin (5'7 130lbs) so she fits on most pillion pads pretty well. The Vee for her is pretty luxurious. I realize though with almost any bike I buy, she won't like the stock seat. She even complained about the GL1800 we had.

For the Vee I considered a Sargent but ended up with a great deal on a Corbin for us and she loves it. We have put as much as 1,000 miles in on day on it and she never complained about her tush. Maybe it was so cold that day here priorities were elsewhere. :-)

I realize the Bandit is a bit tighter in the cockpit but I don't plan on riding more than about 600 miles in any one direction on it so it won't be so much on an issue. I think my SV as is is just too tight for us both. First "trip" I took on it was about 300 miles and my knees were in agony long before the fuel light came on.

I like the thought of not having much plastic to scuff if the bike happens to fall over. I like the jack-of-all-trades bikes like the Bandit and Vee. I must admit though while searching for a Bandit I stumbled across a C14 Connie w/abs for a decent price. I know the wife would be happy probably riding on it but I don't know if it would be enough fun in the mountains. However for only about $1k more than the Bandit for the same year and about 5k more miles I really need to consider it as well.

If the guy will come down a bit on the Bandit I'll probably go with it. I could have a lot of fun with it after looking at Dale Walker's list of parts. I've pretty much ruled out another SV. While I really know the bike well, it might not quite meet my needs as well as another bike though it would be a great choice in the mountains. I'll likely just ride it there without the wife though that would likely never happen. Fortunately she loves to ride and doesn't mind supra-legal speeds either. Her claws only come out when we drag the hard bits of the under carriage in the turns. Until that point she doesn't mind the horizon tilting at 45 degree angles.
DayTrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #1157
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
I did 10,000 miles solo on my 07 bandit 1250 in the summer of 2010.

If I had discovered the V-Strom prior to that, I would have chosen it over the bandit any day, either 650 or 1000 versions.

The ONLY thing the bandit has over the Vstrom is power in my opinion.

Bandit riding position is no where near as comfortable as the Strom. I'll never go back to the Bandit for touring. 600 mile days were torture. Yes the stock seat is crap, no different than most factory bikes, but that isn't an issue if you go with something different. I had an AirHawk for my trip and it served me well, though the Russell on my Vstrom is like heaven and probably would be the same on the Bandit.

Bandit is a fun powerful bike, much more comfy than any sport bike. Vstrom is much more comfortable than the Bandit, less power, but will go more places and has a HUGE aftermarket.

YMMV yada yada
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #1158
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
vstroms are the way to go for 2 up touring for sure.
alot more passenger room and sargent makes a great seat for touring.
get a madstad and bigger screen for air control.
my wife and i toured all over colorado on a 650 in comfort and never felt i was laking in power.
+1, I like you eakins.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #1159
DayTrippin
Adventurer

If Suzuki would make a 1200cc S-Vee (super version of the V-strom) with ABS and a bit lighter, I'd be first in line to buy it. I am a bit of a power junkie (within reason) and wouldn't mind more pull from my Vee. I admire people who find the Wee strong enough for their needs but I am not one of them.

That is where the Bandit really appeals to me, more punch. I'll have to take one for a test ride and see how the ergos are for me. It looks like getting rid of the stock exhaust would save a ton of weight as well and possibly add a few more ponies.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #1160
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrippin View Post
If Suzuki would make a 1200cc S-Vee (super version of the V-strom) with ABS and a bit lighter, I'd be first in line to buy it. I am a bit of a power junkie (within reason) and wouldn't mind more pull from my Vee. I admire people who find the Wee strong enough for their needs but I am not one of them.

That is where the Bandit really appeals to me, more punch. I'll have to take one for a test ride and see how the ergos are for me. It looks like getting rid of the stock exhaust would save a ton of weight as well and possibly add a few more ponies.
I think Yamaha built that bike. It's an S10.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #1161
DayTrippin
Adventurer

Thought about the S10 but don't care for the exhaust note. I LOVE the sound of high revving v-twin. Very close but next on my list is an old CBX or Benellis sei, then comes the triples and finally fours. Way down the list are parallel twins. Singles fit in there somewhere depending on the model. I do enjoy the sound of big thumpers. I do like a chain drive system as I always end up fiddling with my gearing. The factory never seems to get it right for my needs. I like the option.

I do think Yamaha got a lot of things right. I can't say I like the looks of it but I didn't like the Vee that much at first either but now its really grown on me.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #1162
chadsfast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I have enjoyed my Bandit 1200s. I have done 5,500 miles in 12 days on it as the biggest trip. I have had very little issues with it except:

Full transmission rebuild at 21,000 miles. Over $1,500. Gay.
Stupid fuel petcock issue at 22,000. FYI, if yours fails, don't bother with a rebuild kit. Just buy a new OEM petcock.

When I redid the tranny I put in the Factory Pro brand "quick shift kit." I highly recommend this!!!!

I am a little angry I had to rebuild the tranny but I am horribly hard on it. Regularly do 1-3rd wheelies etc.

There isn't anything that I want more still to this day because I ruined myself by getting used to that lovely early Bandit torque. So far the only upgrade I would consider is the 1250 or a Ninja 1000. But they are more than I care to spend thanks to the thrifty $6,027 that I payed for my 1200s brand new OTD.
chadsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #1163
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Can anyone recommend a decent torgue wrench for tightening the bolts in the valve cover?? The one I have doesn't go that low. Needs to be one I can find easily (say, sold by Sears).
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #1164
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
Can anyone recommend a decent torgue wrench for tightening the bolts in the valve cover?? The one I have doesn't go that low. Needs to be one I can find easily (say, sold by Sears).
Beware of torque wrenches on those bolts, they can be over adjusted very easily, dont forget that the allen bolts have rubber under them and the state of the rubber changes a lot how much torque is needed and the bolts between the plug holes are hollow and very fragile. If you would take some advice i would suggest tightening them without a torque wrench with minimal force until they turn no more and then no more than an extra 1/8-1/4 turn . Especially the four banjo bolts between the plug holes. If more torque was needed you would see a little oil seeping out after a couple of miles so you would just need to tighten them again and thats it.

Heard lots of people striping those bolts and is no fun at all.
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #1165
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-A-M-O-N View Post
Beware of torque wrenches on those bolts, they can be over adjusted very easily, dont forget that the allen bolts have rubber under them and the state of the rubber changes a lot how much torque is needed and the bolts between the plug holes are hollow and very fragile. If you would take some advice i would suggest tightening them without a torque wrench with minimal force until they turn no more and then no more than an extra 1/8-1/4 turn . Especially the four banjo bolts between the plug holes. If more torque was needed you would see a little oil seeping out after a couple of miles so you would just need to tighten them again and thats it.

Heard lots of people striping those bolts and is no fun at all.
See, that's how I have been doing it for years. Right now I have oil leaking from somewhere up there. I replaced the gaskets for the four bolts that sit between the spark plug holes since oil was seeping out from them. That stopped the leak for awhile, but now oil is working its way out from them and it seems somewhere else. Just can't figure out where. Also seems that the flat round ones are not tight enough, but I have stripped one before which I why I wanted to use a torque wrench. Guess I'll just try tightening them a bit more.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #1166
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
See, that's how I have been doing it for years. Right now I have oil leaking from somewhere up there. I replaced the gaskets for the four bolts that sit between the spark plug holes since oil was seeping out from them. That stopped the leak for awhile, but now oil is working its way out from them and it seems somewhere else. Just can't figure out where. Also seems that the flat round ones are not tight enough, but I have stripped one before which I why I wanted to use a torque wrench. Guess I'll just try tightening them a bit more.
Yeah using that method last time i had to tighten them two or three times after the initial adjustment, it takes more caring but at least im sure im not overtightening anything and next time they will come out easily. Are you sure there isnt any debris or crap on the cover were they sit?, You probably know this but you checked the gaskets that go around the spark plug holes inside the cover? My guess is that its not a torque problem, it would be if they stop leaking and started again after some miles, then you need to tighten them a bit more.

The thing with torque wrenches is that they dont take aging of components into account and thats supppousing you have a good quality one and because of that its very important to have experience with them if not they could be against you complicating everything.
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #1167
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-A-M-O-N View Post
Yeah using that method last time i had to tighten them two or three times after the initial adjustment, it takes more caring but at least im sure im not overtightening anything and next time they will come out easily. Are you sure there isnt any debris or crap on the cover were they sit?, You probably know this but you checked the gaskets that go around the spark plug holes inside the cover? My guess is that its not a torque problem, it would be if they stop leaking and started again after some miles, then you need to tighten them a bit more.

The thing with torque wrenches is that they dont take aging of components into account and thats supppousing you have a good quality one and because of that its very important to have experience with them if not they could be against you complicating everything.

Because of the mystery oil leak, I replaced the four gaskets around the spark plug wells as they are 9 years old. I also replaced the gaskets for those four bolts between the plugs. I was very careful to get rid of all the crap up there as I am not known for washing my bike. I'll give them a little tightening this morning and see if that fixes things. I am sure its something simple. Its just annoying.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #1168
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I use the hand tighten method because those thread are easy to strip (I did this, but fortunatly it was on the outside corner and easy to helicoil) and it's also very easy to split the cam cap. I also use a very thin coat of gasket sealer on the valve cover gasket to stop any leaks.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #1169
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,432
fair enough. everyone has different needs in power.
for those who need more the 1000 would be the choice.
i rode a 1000 and like how my 650 felt in the dirt.
1000 is mega fast but only really noticed it above 90 mph range...
i try to stay away as i like my license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrippin View Post
My biggest complaint about my Vee (other then electrical) is at high altitudes (in the Rockies) it definitely starts to feel a bit underpowered when riding 2-up. At sea level it is pretty decent but not amazing.

As for rear seat room, my wife is pretty thin (5'7 130lbs) so she fits on most pillion pads pretty well. The Vee for her is pretty luxurious. I realize though with almost any bike I buy, she won't like the stock seat. She even complained about the GL1800 we had.

For the Vee I considered a Sargent but ended up with a great deal on a Corbin for us and she loves it. We have put as much as 1,000 miles in on day on it and she never complained about her tush. Maybe it was so cold that day here priorities were elsewhere. :-)

I realize the Bandit is a bit tighter in the cockpit but I don't plan on riding more than about 600 miles in any one direction on it so it won't be so much on an issue. I think my SV as is is just too tight for us both. First "trip" I took on it was about 300 miles and my knees were in agony long before the fuel light came on.

I like the thought of not having much plastic to scuff if the bike happens to fall over. I like the jack-of-all-trades bikes like the Bandit and Vee. I must admit though while searching for a Bandit I stumbled across a C14 Connie w/abs for a decent price. I know the wife would be happy probably riding on it but I don't know if it would be enough fun in the mountains. However for only about $1k more than the Bandit for the same year and about 5k more miles I really need to consider it as well.

If the guy will come down a bit on the Bandit I'll probably go with it. I could have a lot of fun with it after looking at Dale Walker's list of parts. I've pretty much ruled out another SV. While I really know the bike well, it might not quite meet my needs as well as another bike though it would be a great choice in the mountains. I'll likely just ride it there without the wife though that would likely never happen. Fortunately she loves to ride and doesn't mind supra-legal speeds either. Her claws only come out when we drag the hard bits of the under carriage in the turns. Until that point she doesn't mind the horizon tilting at 45 degree angles.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #1170
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,432
maybe all those wheelies cause your tranny to fail?

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsfast View Post
I have enjoyed my Bandit 1200s. I have done 5,500 miles in 12 days on it as the biggest trip. I have had very little issues with it except:

Full transmission rebuild at 21,000 miles. Over $1,500. Gay.
Stupid fuel petcock issue at 22,000. FYI, if yours fails, don't bother with a rebuild kit. Just buy a new OEM petcock.

When I redid the tranny I put in the Factory Pro brand "quick shift kit." I highly recommend this!!!!

I am a little angry I had to rebuild the tranny but I am horribly hard on it. Regularly do 1-3rd wheelies etc.

There isn't anything that I want more still to this day because I ruined myself by getting used to that lovely early Bandit torque. So far the only upgrade I would consider is the 1250 or a Ninja 1000. But they are more than I care to spend thanks to the thrifty $6,027 that I payed for my 1200s brand new OTD.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote