ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #121
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Still waiting for someone to build a good one piece touring windshield for the new bandit. Sigh!
Seems like most are happy with MRA Touring Vario, and the GT comes with
it as standard, if I remember correctly.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #122
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,420
Well I finally got my 99 B-12 ready for the season.

I decided to remove the K&N pod filters in favor of the stock airbox and a uni filter. This meant that I had to drop back to a stage 1 jet kit since I am running a holeshot slip on. I also added a holeshot DB killer which took a little bark out of the pipe. Much nicer on long rides.

Over the winter I changed the fork oil, did a valve check and put on stainless front brake lines.

I also added a Givi monolock top case and wing rack so the wife has something to lean against when we go 2 up.

Last season I put on the bar risers and corbin saddle on.

It was damn nice having it back on the road again....Damn that KLR is slow





__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #123
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,447
Is the black one faster than the blue one? My dealer says he can't get me a blue one....but he swears the black is the fastest color.
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #124
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,420
Black is fast enough for me
__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #125
Jeff49783
Private ASEL
 
Jeff49783's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, MI
Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Still waiting for someone to build a good one piece touring windshield for the new bandit. Sigh!
Yes. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a bigger screen because I live in the land of many (soon to be squished on me) bugs. Looking at the Givi and the Suzuki touring. I don't want to be a bobblehead.
__________________
Jeff

gone - 2008 Bandit 1250 ABS, 2006 XT225, 1995 K75RT, 2005 F650GS, 2005 R1200GS, 2003 R1150RT, 2001 R1100RS
Jeff49783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #126
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,447
Bugs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92660
Yes. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a bigger screen because I live in the land of many (soon to be squished on me) bugs. Looking at the Givi and the Suzuki touring. I don't want to be a bobblehead.
Hey Jeff...you want bugs? Head up for a night by the fire and some beer. I'll show you bugs!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #127
stevie t
some dude, somewhere....
 
stevie t's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ontanamo
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor
Hey Jeff...you want bugs? Head up for a night by the fire and some beer. I'll show you bugs!
Lyle
I have never seen so many bugs as the ride out of Kenora into MB before and after sunset....scraping them off my face mask by the handful.....I don't know how you would do it open face/half helmet...
stevie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #128
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie t
I have never seen so many bugs as the ride out of Kenora into MB before and after sunset....scraping them off my face mask by the handful.....I don't know how you would do it open face/half helmet...
You should see the local Harley dudes!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #129
Jeff49783
Private ASEL
 
Jeff49783's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, MI
Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor
Hey Jeff...you want bugs? Head up for a night by the fire and some beer. I'll show you bugs!
Lyle
Wow looks like I can have one night of bugs on the way. You are FAR. 734 miles/14 hours to be exact. I hope to get there someday. Thanks for the offer.

JP
__________________
Jeff

gone - 2008 Bandit 1250 ABS, 2006 XT225, 1995 K75RT, 2005 F650GS, 2005 R1200GS, 2003 R1150RT, 2001 R1100RS
Jeff49783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #130
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,447
Might be a bit shorter to nip across to I. Falls then north.....but it is a haul.......the beer is cold, though!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #131
sosothree
CL450 n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: By PKI
Oddometer: 75
Looking good. What weight fork oil did you go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
Well I finally got my 99 B-12 ready for the season.

I decided to remove the K&N pod filters in favor of the stock airbox and a uni filter. This meant that I had to drop back to a stage 1 jet kit since I am running a holeshot slip on. I also added a holeshot DB killer which took a little bark out of the pipe. Much nicer on long rides.

Over the winter I changed the fork oil, did a valve check and put on stainless front brake lines.

I also added a Givi monolock top case and wing rack so the wife has something to lean against when we go 2 up.

Last season I put on the bar risers and corbin saddle on.

It was damn nice having it back on the road again....Damn that KLR is slow
sosothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #132
alwayssummer
aspiring bikewhore
 
alwayssummer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Oddometer: 171
I'm considering a bandit...

Very helpful thread... I came across this bike and even though it's bigger than what I planned I thought it wasn't a bad deal. Maybe it's apples and oranges, but I'm trying to decide between this and an 02 SV650 that the seller wants $3500 for. This one's cheaper, but the SV650 is a nice ride and it feels like it has much better brakes. Anyway...

Any thoughts on this steed? What do you think of the price?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1112029831.html


Seems like everyone here rides newer ones. Any thoughts on the earlier models?
__________________
07 SV650 in Candy Sonoma Red & 99 KLR in Green
I'm alone even at home. I'm the only one in the house that is condemned to a lifetime of dreaming of far off places. -Larryboy

~R.I.P. Isaac A Klosterman a.k.a. Classic~March 22, 1982 - May 18, 2008~
alwayssummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #133
Joson559
Adventure on!
 
Joson559's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Southeast
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssummer
Very helpful thread... I came across this bike and even though it's bigger than what I planned I thought it wasn't a bad deal. Maybe it's apples and oranges, but I'm trying to decide between this and an 02 SV650 that the seller wants $3500 for. This one's cheaper, but the SV650 is a nice ride and it feels like it has much better brakes. Anyway...

Any thoughts on this steed? What do you think of the price?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1112029831.html


Seems like everyone here rides newer ones. Any thoughts on the earlier models?
I have a 1999. I love everything about it.. smooth power delivery, good seating position, OK stock windshield (allows enough air on your chest to make your wrists comfortable at 80mph)

I'm not very "experienced" on different moto's.. but the bandito works for me.
__________________

Joson559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #134
sosothree
CL450 n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: By PKI
Oddometer: 75
I had an '01 SV650N. It was a great bike for pretty much everything except long distance touring (in stock form anyway).

I have an '03 B12S now and wouldn't go back. Other than the sound of the SV with a 2-Bros exhaust, the Bandit is more fun at everything for me.

$3500 for a 1st gen SV is way too much, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssummer
Very helpful thread... I came across this bike and even though it's bigger than what I planned I thought it wasn't a bad deal. Maybe it's apples and oranges, but I'm trying to decide between this and an 02 SV650 that the seller wants $3500 for. This one's cheaper, but the SV650 is a nice ride and it feels like it has much better brakes. Anyway...

Any thoughts on this steed? What do you think of the price?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1112029831.html


Seems like everyone here rides newer ones. Any thoughts on the earlier models?
sosothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #135
dbarale
Squiddly slow
 
dbarale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssummer
Very helpful thread... I came across this bike and even though it's bigger than what I planned I thought it wasn't a bad deal. Maybe it's apples and oranges, but I'm trying to decide between this and an 02 SV650 that the seller wants $3500 for. This one's cheaper, but the SV650 is a nice ride and it feels like it has much better brakes. Anyway...

Any thoughts on this steed? What do you think of the price?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1112029831.html


Seems like everyone here rides newer ones. Any thoughts on the earlier models?
This one looks really good to me for a few reasons. It appears to be completely stock. Which should mean that is wasn't a stunt bike and hasn't been hot rodded. The engine guards tend to reinforce that impression.
It has some miles, which probably means that it didn't sit for too long, but not so many that I would be concerned about it. The air/oil cooled Suzuki engines are good for 100k with proper maintenance.
The price is reasonable for the age and mileage as long as the tires and chain are OK.
If you like red, go for it. Just plan on adjusting the valves for peace of mind and flushing brake and clutch fluid.
The newer Bandits will give you fuel injection and ABS but there is nothing wrong with the older ones. Just stay away from the '01 are some of them burn oil...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014